Atlas Shrugged Part 1: a review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas Shrugged Part 1: a review

Well it's about time! Libertarians and "Objectivist" have been waiting a long time for a movie version of Atlas Shrugged. When I heard of it I hoped that It would at least not be embarrassingly bad. When I saw it I was very pleasantly surprised: not only was it not bad, but it was pretty darned good! I thought the movie actually did a good job of capturing the spirit of the rather ponderous book. I feel like most movies I see could be trimmed down ay least thirty minutes. I felt like Atlas Shrugged could have gone 30 minutes longer. I must say it was very refreshing to see entrepreneurs depicted as the "good guys" and the politicians shown to be the "bad guys!"
    I hope it gets enough box office to justify filming parts "2" and "3." It ended with a classic "cliff hanger" scene. Also refreshing was the fact that the actors were virtually unknown, but very talented.
    Whether you are really into Ayn Rand or her philosophy, I hope that every one who can will go to see this movie, if for no other reason than to support independent films and particularly those that run counter to the established Holly Wood Left!
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Thanks for the review, Ed. The movie has yet to come to our neck of the woods. I read the book a long time ago and had no idea I would see it happening IRL.
    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
      Well it's about time! Libertarians and "Objectivist" have been waiting a long time for a movie version of Atlas Shrugged. - - -
      Hi Ed,
      I seem to remember a black & white version with Gary Cooper in it?
      And while I understand an architect's outrage at lesser minds degrading his design; his rights are limited to removing his name from the project & suing for damages to his reputation.
      Burning the building down, (or was it blowing it up?) is willful destruction of someone else's property and that, despite Ayn Rand's opinion, is a crime.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ayn Rand.... the capitalist version of Karl Marx....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Ayn Rand.... the capitalist version of Karl Marx....
          Better that than other options...
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Its only showing at 3 theaters in town last I checked. More soon I hear.Looking forward to seeing it.Have you seen the modified trailer by FreedomWorks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7B6mAIhU0
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

Hey Fredintoon

You are thinking The Fountain Head.. Ayn had an affair with Frank Loyd Wright. The movie was based on him.
              Special Ed

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

Hey Fredintoon

You are thinking The Fountain Head.. Ayn had an affair with Frank Loyd Wright. The movie was based on him.
                Special Ed

Comment

Working...
                X