Need some Craigslist tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some Craigslist tips

Fixing to sell my XJ550 on CL.Looking for any helpfull advice to keep the crap to a minimum. List my phone number or not, get a seperate email besides my daily,test rides or not, stunts people will try to pull etc .Stuff from those that know how to do it the best. I may even put it on here for a few days first.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

People leave out some very basic info when they list their bikes and it drives me nutz! Start out with the most important info, Year, make, model, miles, then maybe add how long you have owned it and most recent work done to it like tires or carb cleaning. Spare us your life story but maybe add why your selling it... too small, too big, learner bike etc... Also, if your really firm on the price or have a little room then I put that in. I personally havent had too many problems with scammers but, I keep my personal email hidden. Recently, I have seen people posting intems ask the person replying to put something specific in the subject line in their email to the seller like the sellers name or the buyers phone number so you can contact them at your conveince. GL
    Last edited by WMarshy; 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Just remember that the scammers are actual humans. They are not computers, so asking them to put things in the subject line of an email really doesn't filter much. Main thing to me, is make sure you add some pictures. Multiple shots if possible. You are likely going to get a scam or two, but just look for anything that doesn't sound like they are willing to come and look at it, face-to-face. Test rides might be ok, but that's up to you, but be sure you have the cash first. If you don't put your email address or phone number in the actual ad, then you can filter your emails directly from CL, and decide who's for real.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

DON'T USE YOUR PHONE NUMBER!!! Way better to use CL's anonymous email feature. You can ask them to email you a phone number.

I always add a little wiggle room into the price, so that way I can knock off 10 or 20% so the buyer feels like they're getting a deal, and I still get what I actually want for the bike.

Cash only, I had a friend was given a certified check, that the bank accepted and deposited immediately, only to have it later refused by the supposed issuing bank and him being out his cash, and sale item.

Also, have the buyer take the title and have it transferred immediately and bring a copy of the transfer application back to you, before you hand over the bike. I sold a car just last year, the buyer never transferred the title. I found this out when I was contacted by an impound lot demanding $4000 dollars in storage fees for a car I sold for less than a $1000. Luckily I had a picture of the title signed over, which will hold up in court, and the buyer used someone elses plates so I didn't get stuck with any tickets. Also, if the buyer takes the bike any doesn't transfer the title, any damage he causes to anyone or anything, is your liability!

I also always put in "No window shoppers, or tire kickers. Serious buyers only!" It actually tends to weed out the flakes.

Keep the insurance on the bike if you're going to allow test drives, as my mom(an insurance agent) always says "It's the vehicle that's insured, not the driver!"

Only sell locally, no shipping!!! If someone from out of town wants the bike bad enough, they can come and get it. My buddy (also a Chicagoan) bought a mixing console in Texas off ebay, and he and two other guys drove all the way down and back straight through to pick it up.

Use your instincts, if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

I don't mean to alarm you, as CL can be a great resource if you take precautions.

Good luck
        Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
        (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Hey Terry,
          Is that the one you had sitting in the back yard ?

Instead of uploading the pics with craigslist, Host them on Photobucket and link the HTML code for them in the AD. This way you can post as many pics as you want and not just the 4 small crappy ones they resize. Makes for BIGGER, Better Pics with Lots of Detail which will weed out the tire kickers or hopefully entice someone to come out and buy it.

Mention Title status if you have it.

Me, I post my number with the concealed email. Anyone really wanting it will call rather than emailing wanting more info.
          Sold the last 3 XS11's I had in 2 weeks. I've found it usually only takes 1-4 weeks to sell a bike. The worst I had was 6 months for the XJ650 Turbo, Not many looking for them at retail price...

OBO will at least bring some offers unless you want trades. If not I'd make that point clear.

Good Luck!
          Richard

Comment

Get a google voice number

Free from google - when or if you use it (and you can use it to call from too) if you wind up on a SPam list you can BLOCK the number very easy - also if you aren't monitoring the number it texts your phone when you get a Voicemail.

I would hide my email and let them respond through the site - whether I respond via email depends on whether I think they are for real or not.

Always ask for them to send a phone number you can call or text a reply to.

Add pics!

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Is that the one you had sitting in the back yard ?
              No that one was the twin to this one. Can't remember where I had it when you were here. This one is in pretty nice shape. I got both of these back in 83 and only took care of this one.
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

Be ready for the scam where an eager buyer wants to send you your full asking price plus a fee for someone to come pick up the bike for him. He sends you a certified cheque for the asking price, the delivery cost, plus a bit extra for you. You give your bike and real cash to the guy who comes on the buyer's behalf, the cheque bounces, and you're left with nothing.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

so how much r u askin?

We might decide to save you the trouble...

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I recently had my bike posted, months ago before I came to my sences and put my sences into SWMBO.

I had a lady email to tell me she was buying it for her husband as a surprise present. She was stationed overseas in military. She was going to have someone contact me to get my bank transfer data and have the money put into my account for me, and then someone would come pick up the bike...blah blah blah....I just deleted it.

Basically it boils down to the age old adage, if it looks like a duck, quack likes a duck, and walks like a duck....hmmm...its a duck. (duck = scam in this instance)

I would list maybe your home phone if your like me and never use it. And give a hotmail email account or the like. I have one I always use for internet stuff.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by patk12345 View Post
                      DON'T USE YOUR PHONE NUMBER!!! Way better to use CL's anonymous email feature. You can ask them to email you a phone number.

I always add a little wiggle room into the price, so that way I can knock off 10 or 20% so the buyer feels like they're getting a deal, and I still get what I actually want for the bike.

Cash only, I had a friend was given a certified check, that the bank accepted and deposited immediately, only to have it later refused by the supposed issuing bank and him being out his cash, and sale item.

Also, have the buyer take the title and have it transferred immediately and bring a copy of the transfer application back to you, before you hand over the bike. I sold a car just last year, the buyer never transferred the title. I found this out when I was contacted by an impound lot demanding $4000 dollars in storage fees for a car I sold for less than a $1000. Luckily I had a picture of the title signed over, which will hold up in court, and the buyer used someone elses plates so I didn't get stuck with any tickets. Also, if the buyer takes the bike any doesn't transfer the title, any damage he causes to anyone or anything, is your liability!

I also always put in "No window shoppers, or tire kickers. Serious buyers only!" It actually tends to weed out the flakes.

Keep the insurance on the bike if you're going to allow test drives, as my mom(an insurance agent) always says "It's the vehicle that's insured, not the driver!"

Only sell locally, no shipping!!! If someone from out of town wants the bike bad enough, they can come and get it. My buddy (also a Chicagoan) bought a mixing console in Texas off ebay, and he and two other guys drove all the way down and back straight through to pick it up.

Use your instincts, if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

I don't mean to alarm you, as CL can be a great resource if you take precautions.

Good luck
                      That varies from state to state. In Ca part of the title is a release of liability report that the PO is responsible for filling out, signing and filing with DMV at which point the clock starts for the new owner on the requirement to transfer the title within 10 days, and once filed you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                        That varies from state to state. In Ca part of the title is a release of liability report that the PO is responsible for filling out, signing and filing with DMV at which point the clock starts for the new owner on the requirement to transfer the title within 10 days, and once filed you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.
                        In IL there is a transfer of title section at the bottom of the title, but the transfer actually happening is completely dependent on the buyer. By keeping a copy for yourself, you can prove that you assigned the title to the buyer, which is why I have a picture of the title, but if it comes down to it, I'd still have to go into court to produce the document, but the judge can always choose not to accept the copy, and hang the whole thing around your neck.

I figure it's better to be safe than sorry in these situations.
                        Last edited by patk12345; 04-14-2011, 06:39 PM.
                        Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
                        (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Working...
                        X