What's yer favorite E-mail & why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's yer favorite E-mail & why?

I want to dump gmail, my current provider. I have just heard too many reports of how Google is basically spying on their clients and sharing the information with Gumment and corporations.
    What email service do you use? Why do you like it, or not? Do you have any tips on saving email files from one service to use on another?
    'Preciate the input!
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

I use hotmail and gmail. dont have any complaints about either really.

I would say that after you get your new email just forward everything you have saved in your old email to the new one.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

hi I use Thunderbird and I access gmail , my own domain mail and sympatico with it as well . it will import most of the stuff on its own or will tell you how to do it
      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
      and SOXS
      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Sadly, IMHO gmail is actually still the best bet, despite all the data mining and what not. I have a good number of friends who work in IT, and they all use gmail for their primary personal accounts. Their security is far and away better than any other provider. Any free email account, is going to experience some amount of data mining, as focused advertising is how they pay the bills.

As far as the feds are concerned, if they want to see your email they're going to look, no matter who your service provider is, they pretty much only need a warrant if they want to use it in court, thank you Patriot Act.

Google overall as a corporation is actually pretty good about protecting it's users, and they have the clout to tell the fed "no", most of the time. They're one of the only companies that actually pushed back against government censorship in China, which was a huge financial risk for them, solely in the name of free speech.

They are by no means perfect, but the devil you know, is better than the devil you don't.
        Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
        (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

"As far as the feds are concerned, if they want to see your email they're going to look, no matter who your service provider is, they pretty much only need a warrant if they want to use it in court, thank you Patriot Act."
          Thank you for this. Seems very objective. As for the Feds:
          "If they want it, they will get it,
          But they better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast..."
          Special Ed
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Those Beatles beatniks are the reason the feds are gonna come after ya.
            Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
            (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

I use a lot of web based mail. I have accounts on gmail, yahoo, and hotmail. After I'm signed in, gmail is the only one with "https" in the address bar. The others all revert to "http" after sign in.

I think I know what that means, but you tell me.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

gmail and yahoo

I use both gmail and yahoo but gmail is my preference - it filters way more spam better than anything - I can't remember doing anything except marking some messages as spam THAT I SOLICITED by signing up and changing my mind or such. It is way easier than unsubscribing which rarely works.

I don't worry about what they collect - life is too short!

john
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I use a paid account ($99.00 / year) but get extra features, like photo galleries, storage, syncronization of calendars, and a few other things. It is an accont offered by Apple called a .mac account.

I've had this account for years and in spite of its costs I renew every year. My photo galleries are there, and I had web pages published there in the past. If all you are after is e-mail, this is overkill, but if you want other options this may be worth a look.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hi Ed,
                    if I were planning unlawful activities I sure wouldn't talk about it on the 'net so Government snooping only offends me in that it's a complete waste of money.
                    And They don't have any money, it's my money they are pouring down the toilet.
                    I'm with Sasktel. They offer a TV/internet/phone package that costs less than buying those services separately.
                    Sasktel is a Provincial Crown Corporation which means that although it is over-staffed with the otherwise unemployable relatives of local politicians, the payroll and the profits stay in the Province rather than the payroll going to India and the profits to the Cayman Islands.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X