Great Day, Great Ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Day, Great Ride!

I left the house yesterday thinking I'd go for an hour long cruise of the local area. It was beautifull in the low 70's. Just when I rolled into a little on stop light town, (Clearspring, MD) my panned turn around and head home point, I thought no, I'll ride up the mountain, and down to Big Pool, MD. Riding on Scenic Rt. 40. It was so peaceful and serene! SIMPLY A BEAUTIFULL DAY TO BE OUT ON MY ANTIQUE, 79F!
    As I cruised along by myself, there was no, or very little traffic, I putted along, and every now and then cracking into it a little to hear the vintage beast growl at her surroundings!
    On Westward, past Hancock, MD, Over Sideling Hill, Over Town Hill, thru Fintstone, MD, on up to Cumberland,MD. A short visit for gas, a little boys room stop, a drink, and off again!
    Long story short, my one hour putt along, turned into a 200 mile roll and stroll thru Western MD, and WV down thru VA, and Home!
    All this time, I'm amazed by my 79F, named "NOEY", She runs today, as well as she did the day I bought her in spring 1979!

Sorry for rambling, but that's what happend yesterday, I just rambled on, and on, and on, and on....
    79F "XSive NOEY"

I've got a small refrigerator magnet sign that says:

"Not all who wander are lost"

It's stuck on my gas tank just below the gas cap
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Awesum dude!!

I want one of those magnets
      Garry
      '79 SF "Battle Cat"
      outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Great! I know the feeling......

I got up early today, put on a replacement throttle cable and
        planned on a few mile test to make sure it was working properly.

Like you experienced, the weather was awesome and I kept going. Went about 10 miles, came home, put on more suitable riding gear and went on a 2 hour ride. I live in East County (San Diego) and it has been almost too hot to ride the past few months. We are now at the time of year where it is just perfect right through summer next year. I prefer wearing a leather jacket for protection and it is nice when the temp warrants it otherwise you bake. It seems my 81 SH was up for the ride too. It was running great and shifted smoother than ever. I have had it since April and really feel comfortable on it. At first, it was too much bike till I learned to respect the power. Hope it lasts another 20 years.

Comment

Went for a little ride... just to circulate the oil.... got some legal attention and decided to split home before they went after me... (no licence plates and a nice trail of smoke).
          Gotta get me a MG California III....

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Accidental trip

I think we have all had these accidental trips happen. It is in our nature.

A trip around the block as I told my Wife turned into a an hour and half trip with no destination.

That sticker speaks the truth. I want one too.
            Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
            79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
            83 Sportster "Lunacy"
            72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

Ride Extension

Yesterday, Saturday, was the day after our first rain of the season. The air has been washed clean of all the smoke and ash from the raging fires here in Southern California. The day was crisp, clear and cool. Just perfect with big clouds and bright sun. I had planned to ride the previous evening while it was raining, hoping it would be clear and dry.

With the majority of the honey-do list out of the way, I finally got on the move about a quarter to three. Bike was reluctant to start. Better get the battery tender on it now that I'm riding less. I took off planning on just riding Santiago Canyon Road to the biker bar at Cook's Corner. Very little traffic. Not many bikes at Cook's, surprisingly. Usual Harleys and three new Honda 1800's. One Italian twin (don't know which, all insignia, decals, etc. removed. Very pristine looking.) A '76 Yamaha RD400 came in as I was prepping to leave. Nostalgia for me, as I used to own one. (Two bikes previous to the 1100.)

I rode back up the canyon passing only a pickup and two putting Harleys. At the end of the road, I decided it was too nice to go home so turned onto the toll road which doubles back paralleling the canyon road. At the end I turned South toward the ocean (For all you geography students, in Souther California, the ocean is sout.) and picked up another toll road heading home. Pulled into the garage at about five minutes to five. Great day, great ride. Wishing I had started earlier and gone further.

Next weekend is the Turkey Run in Southern California. I am hopeful the weather will be as fine.

Ralph

'80 1100G

Comment

ozark autumm Sunday

Just got in from a GREAT 1/2 hr ride thru the twisties in my back yard with my 9 yr old son on the back. Not to fast....not to slow.....and back home in time for NASCAR and before the rain.
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

ride day

Hi everyone,
                  sounds like Ralph was riding in that nirvana us ontario guys dream about. As for me I sat in the garage ,it poured here in southern ontario and I had a beer and a cigar as my bike sat there under its cover.Hey Ralph want a border till spring?.Ill pay for the oil changes.
                  ride on guys and gals.
                  Envious Steve

Comment

I uncovered "Flashback" and went for what will most likely be my last ride thru the nearby twisties for this season. Once I got up into the higher elevations where there was still snow from our first snowfall the other day.... there were patches of ice still on the road in some shady spots. About halfway thru the ride..... the skies overcast and I thought I was going to turn into a leathersickle before I got back. There for a little bit... it looked like it might even start snowing on me. I guess it won't be long at all before I put the bike away and break out the snowmachine.
                    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Accidental Trip

Yesterday after church went out to eat with some friends and decided to take the bike....that was at noon....I got home at 8pm...150 mile round trip thru the twisties in East central Alabama...besides being passed by 12 squirrels on pocket rockets all went well....had to laugh at the guy that was shocked when I passed him back...he was on a 600 bandit and this old antique out pulled him up a long hill...I left him behind once I got the revs up in 4th gear....it is a little slower now that I put the lower fairing back on....not bad for a full dresser...and I bet his buddies give him hell for being passed by a dresser....gotta love the power of these Xs1100's....
                      Terry O'Donnell
                      81SH "BullDozer"
                      Holy Riders Motorcycle Ministries
                      [URL]www.holyriders.com[/URL]
                      [URL]www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HRMC/[/URL]

Comment

Lunch

I had that same thing happen yesterday. I went out for a short ride ended up riding to the Northern Neck of Virginia. Just to have lunch with my oldest friend. What an awesome day. I left about 11:00 am and got back around 6 Pm. Some 200 miles later.. I love sunny days... It is supposed to be 82 in Richmond today I may have to leave work early. You know sunny day sickness.

Enjoy the Sun while it lasts.. Winter is sure to just spring up. hahaha.....

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                        72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

Gee, I missed the turn....

Before the weather got bad I was riding the XJ back and forth to work, about 30 miles each way, mostly interstate. A couple of mornings I "missed" my turn off and had to ride up through Glenwood Canyon to the next off-ramp to turn around.....

Several on my co-workers have the same problem from time to time, go figure.....
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Rides happen

It does happen. I dont know why or how but it just does. Thank God for those little "happenenings"

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                            72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

Working...
                            X