Still having those nickle and dime problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still having those nickle and dime problems

Has anyone ever gone for a nice ride on a just right spring day,with little cross wind and your feeling like easy rider...free! So you get home park your XS and put down the kick,KICK (feels loose)stand??? whats this It never leaned like this before??? Sh*t the weld is gone at stand/ frame(and see a little rust, not the frame too!) Double damn, ( love the old,old Bikes Huh ? )So now its find a welder who can and will weld the stand (at the right angle) back in place.Has this ever happened to any of you's guys or have I got a First !(but if so what happened ?) Feel better now like I've been to confession . Duke

Originally posted by Iron Duke View Post
    - - - - get home park your XS and put down the kick,KICK (feels loose)stand??? whats this It never leaned like this before??? - - - - Sh*t the weld is gone at stand/ frame(and see a little rust, not the frame too!)Has this ever happened to any of you's guys or have I got a First ! - - -
    Hi Duke,
    that's not usual at all. Mostly it's the center stand lugs that fold up on you. And one poor bastard had his frame tubes break just under the steering head.
    Same effin' cause, the frame tubes collect rain over the years and they finally rust enough inside that a highly stressed area, such as the side stand attachment lug in your case, fails in service.
    Yes, welding will fix it. Although this will likely take more than one cut to get at it, it's best to saw the tube through and slip in a reinforcing tube before re-welding.
    And check out all the other suspect areas while you are at it.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I've seen that happen to a friends 79F that sat out in bad weather all the time. It was repaired with oxy/acetylene torch. Just remember to move the kickstand back to it's proper angle (you said that) before the welding is done. This bike has done many wheelies since then and all is fine. Also don't forget to get the P/U coil wire harness outta there first so it doesn't burn up.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 03-20-2011, 12:24 AM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
      X