Ah, new riders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, new riders...

Yesterday I took my nieghbor up to pick up her 'new' bike...

A little background. She approached me a few weeks ago about what would be a good 'starter bike' for her. We had a fairly long discussion about motorcycles, why did she want one, is she ready for the learning curve, will she take the riders course, etc. Now, she's never ridden anything, so she's starting at zero. Well, I agreed to help her with finding a suitable bike and would give her preliminary instruction in the care/feeding/operation of it.

Well, we got it home, and she had to give it a quick try. I pointed out the controls and the various functions. Practiced a couple of starts/stops, she wanted to try riding down the road a bit (just a few hundred yards). Got to the end, tried to turn around and promptly dumped it; forgot to pull in the clutch. Well, both of us have bad backs, so she threw hers out going down, I hurt mine picking her and the bike up. End of riding for a few days...

It's going to be an interesting few months until she can take the riders course. I'm going to see if I can pick up some traffic cones for a little 'course' for her to practice on.

And make sure I have an ample supply of pain pills for my back...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

I'll be going through the same thing with my wife this spring. Except, she'll be taking the course before I spend the money on a bike, just to make sure it's something she actually wants to do.

Regarding traffic cones...they're not cheap. Might I suggest a trip to your local dollar store? The one here has kids' beach-type buckets that should work just as well.
    XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
    -- Jack Burton

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
      Regarding traffic cones...they're not cheap. Might I suggest a trip to your local dollar store? The one here has kids' beach-type buckets that should work just as well.
      Good idea... but her boyfriend works for a road-construction outfit so I'm hoping she can sweet-talk some out of him..

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Take her to a big, empty parking lot. It's alot more simple when there isn't anything to hit.
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

Would if we could, but the nearest parking lot of any size is 15 miles away and busy... sometimes there's disadvantages to living in the boondocks

'82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

but the nearest parking lot of any size is 15 miles away and busy
            If your talking about the lot near I5, Busy is NOT the correct word! I hate going there but it's the best place to shop when I'm up at my sisters in DuPont.....
            See if you can find a "cheap" dirt bike for her to learn on! a 125cc is light, and some time in the dirt will usually do a LOT more good than time on a road. JMHO
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              If your talking about the lot near I5, Busy is NOT the correct word! I hate going there but it's the best place to shop when I'm up at my sisters in DuPont.....
              See if you can find a "cheap" dirt bike for her to learn on! a 125cc is light, and some time in the dirt will usually do a LOT more good than time on a road. JMHO
              That one is 30 miles away, so it's not an option The only decent-sized lots in Yelm (without speedbumps, planters, curbs, etc) are Walmart and Thriftway, and unless you go there in the middle of the night are nearly as busy.

I looked at the dirt-bike option, but they were almost as much money as the bike she bought (and not as good as shape to boot). And while they're a bit lighter, the weight is higher so that was a consideration too. The bike she bought (a '06 Buell Blast with only 2200 miles on it for 2K out the door) actually is a great-handling bike, with light, responsive steering; I was very impressed with the handling when I test-rode it. She just needs to get used to having to use both feet and both hands to 'drive' it. It's that coordination thing...

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

A Honda 50 worked for me at the age of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  . The bike she bought (a '06 Buell Blast with only 2200 miles on it for 2K out the door) actually is a great-handling bike, with light, responsive steering; I was very impressed with the handling when I test-rode it. She just needs to get used to having to use both feet and both hands to 'drive' it. It's that coordination thing...
                  Maybe she shoulda got one of the crushed cubes they released in 2010 when they discontinued them, might save a lot of time
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    I'm going to see if I can pick up some traffic cones for a little 'course' for her to practice on.
                    SWMBO uses cheapo tennis balls cut in half. They work great!
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                      SWMBO uses cheapo tennis balls cut in half. They work great!
                      Too many of the local dogs would be sure those are 'toys' and run off with them!

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

chalk's cheap

When I first learned to ride, instead of cones, I just used sidewalk chalk to mark out X's in a parking lot. Best of all, if you clip one in the "cone" weave, you don't have to get off the bike and set it back up. You don't have to look at it to know you made it or didn't make it. (remember, always look to the next one)
                        -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                        '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                        ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Dont know about there, but here pet shops sell small cones for the dog obedience people. My wife got some from there when the kids were little for teaching them to ride thier push bikes. Our Warehouse, equivelent to your Walmart, has them as well. I think a pack of 10 of them cost her 10 bucks or something like that.
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

What are the two basic skills one needs to get to the other skills for motorcycling? Starting and stopping, and slow turns. All you need is a couple of chalk lines for her to pull up to, then do a slow lefty to head back. I've witnessed maybe six bike dumps, and all but one were stopping/turning related. Going straight and fast is easy compared to going slow and crooked.
                            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Yep, just need at area wide enough to easily turn around in, an area marked that must be kept inside of at low speed while slowly speeding up and shifting up, and then down, and then somewhere to have them turn withing a standard radius, and have them practice several times until comfortable. Once that is down, then and only then move on to more difficult stuff.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X