Just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering

How much interest there is in new windshields for the fairings we have, and any others actually if you have a sample? Two years ago I had two made for my fairing, Pacifico I think, made for the '79, and it's made of Lexan which is a GE trade name for polycarbinate. That means it's virtually "bullet proof" and will not break under any circumstances. I had two made because I was warned that it would soon become all scratched and hazy if I didn't buy the special treated Lexan material. Well, two years later and after no special attention, even using gas station paper towels to clean off the bugs I have learned that they were wrong. The only scratches are the on I put there when it was on the garage floor and I stumbled and stepped on it.

The question of interest arrises because I am about to go see them for more and I wondered if there were any others who would like a new windshield. It will certainly help the prices when ordering more than 2. I'm hoping to be able to offer xsives a price of $75 or less.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Got a pic of the one you have? I would like one but dont have the cash atm.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Pic

The windshield looks just like any other new windshield that fits a fairing like this one, which is mine.

You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

I think thats a vetter?
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Vetter

Yes, I think it's a Vetter. Says Yamaha on it. Made for Yamaha by Craig Vetter. Windshields are still available from Craig. $140 plus and acrylic which breaks like glass when hit with something like a rock from a dirt truck. Says on it DOT certified, but checking with the Dept. of Transportation I find there are no specifications for motorcycle windshields, so that DOT stamp don't mean s**t.

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

just wondering

Lexan, or polycarbonate, is a great material for windshields. It can be heated with a heat gun, and bent to many shapes. Years ago, I made one for my snowmobile, with a sharp bend on each side. I used a propane torch to heat the poly, but got many small bubbles, do to the high concentration of heat in places. Later, I rolled the snomo on an ice covered road, the cowling broke, but NOT the windshield, which took the brunt of the collision. Lexan is indeed bulletproof, this windshield was made of 1/8" thick lexan, quite thin. As far as scratching and discoloration, it was better than the vetter windshields I now have. Due to the price of oil these days, a piece large enough for a vetter windshield should be at least $50.00. It could be bent to the arc using a paper barrel and a good heat gun, and a LOT of care. I found that coating the shield with Pledge or similar, will keep it clear for a long time, pledge will even out scratches and make a rough looking shield almost like new. If you can get a shield like a vetter made for $75, that is a REAL bargain
            put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
            79 F (Blueballs)
            79 SF (Redbutt)
            81 LH (organ donor)
            79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
            76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
            rover has spoken

Comment

Working polycarbinate

Before heating Lexan hot enough to bend you must first dry it. Place in oven after removing the sticky paper at 175 degrees overnight. Then place in an oven at around 300 degrees until bendable and heat will no longer produce bubbles.

Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                Yes, I think it's a Vetter. Says Yamaha on it. Made for Yamaha by Craig Vetter. Windshields are still available from Craig. $140 plus and acrylic which breaks like glass when hit with something like a rock from a dirt truck. Says on it DOT certified, but checking with the Dept. of Transportation I find there are no specifications for motorcycle windshields, so that DOT stamp don't mean s**t.
                Can't by from Vetter in the U.S. anymore, something about some copyright deal or something. And I believe all the shields he has been selling since he went back into it have been lexan for the very reason that acrylic is a poor material, but was like what was available back in the day. That said, lexan windshields for Vetters are available from a couple of vendors out there for around $100 (sometime a bit less) all the time. I believe slipstreamer is one of the major vendors, and they may be the reason Craig Vetter cannot sell windshields in the U.S., even though he was selling their shields.

Plus, everything he sells, for the most part I have been able to source from somewhere else for generally half the price, for the exact part.

Not always though, think like the decals and such are only available though him so if you really want to restore one 100%, at least the decals will have to come from his site.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                X