NOS tank for 1980 XS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS tank for 1980 XS1100G

I have this tank it is NOS I was wondering wht it might be worth? I have the bike it could go on but my bike was repainted metallic green and I like it that way so the tank is probably for sale.

No badges, no gas cap, no emblems, no petcocks or fuel sender either. Its a replacement tank. It was in a Yamaha box but the box had mice nest in it and was disintegrated so I threw it out. It is from stock purchased from a parts lot from a dealer a long time ago and I got it from my boss because I have an XS1100G.

Cheers,

Jordan AkA polishbeer

You would get a better response with a picture. New tanks usually start at $99.00 and up on Flea -Bay.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

A tank will go for what someone is willing to pay for it. Frankly I'm not sure anymore what anyone is willing to pay for original color paint these days as the great majority have changed the color of their bike anyways. Unless you have all matched stuff, having original paint on the tank doesn't really do that much good. While I personally am looking for a good tank, I actually want one that DOESN'T have a pristine paint job as the first thing I'm going to do to it is repaint it to match the rest of the bike, so I would have no interest in a NOS 80G tank with perfect paint, cause the first thing I'd have to do would be to ruin it.

I've seen guys ask $150 for a nice tank, I'm not sure I've seen anybody pay that however. I've seen nice tanks sell for $40, I've seen them go for $99, I've seen most everything in between.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by polishbeer View Post
        I have this tank it is NOS I was wondering wht it might be worth? - - -
        Jordan
        Hi Jordan,
        don't take less than $100 + mailing costs and then only if you are totally strapped for cash.
        Thing is, the minute you sell the thing the tank on your bike will get seriously dented and you'll need a spare.
        Of course, if you keep the tank "just in case" you'll never need it and what better insurance is there?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well, if that were a '78E tank, I'd give you damned good money for it.

If the tank still looks 'as new' (no rust, pristine paint), I wouldn't let it go for anything under $300, at least in the first few sales attempts. If you're restoring a bike and the rest of the paintwork is good, the cost of paying somebody to reproduce the factory paint on just the tank will cost all of that. But to demand (and get) that kind of money, that tank will have to be perfect or extremely close. Any paint flaws, dings, or rust and it's just another tank worth $50-100...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by polishbeer View Post
            I have this tank it is NOS I was wondering wht it might be worth? I have the bike it could go on but my bike was repainted metallic green and I like it that way so the tank is probably for sale.

No badges, no gas cap, no emblems, no petcocks or fuel sender either. Its a replacement tank. It was in a Yamaha box but the box had mice nest in it and was disintegrated so I threw it out. It is from stock purchased from a parts lot from a dealer a long time ago and I got it from my boss because I have an XS1100G.

Cheers,

Jordan AkA polishbeer
            I got my NOS fuel tank, side covers and tail cowl for my 1979 standard model for just over 500.00 Canadian funds as a package deal. It was without cap, petcocks and badges.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
            X