I am going to just put this out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
    I definately have ducks disease. I am 5' 6" tall, with a 28 or less inseam. I do support the bike with my left foot at a stop, but there are times when i forget like on a tilted road where the ground may be 3 inches or so farther, and boom. I guess i am just getting tired of hurting the bike. I am going to get through this riding season, and then make a decision on it. I could hard tail it, but that would be against everything i like.
    Ahh! Training wheels! That's what you need.

Combination of things really. Something with the seat to lower it, slightly lower shocks, and slip the forks up a bit in the trees, if you can get an inch front and rear (quite possible really) plus another 1.5 to 2 inches with the seat, and it could well give you a good foot stance at a stop.

You might also think about seeing of you can go with a shorter rear tire plus the 750 FD swap to keep gearing around the same but lower it even more, you might need to lose the center stand and shorten the side stand though. I'm just brainstorming here, I don't know if there is a shorter tire in 16" size anyways so it might even be a moot point.

I'm fortunate that whatever my seat is on mine, it does seem somewhat low, plus I have a 30+ inseam at 6' tall, and it helps that my weight compresses the suspension a bit too. Being that it's a standard, with the correct tires on it it does have a taller seat height than the specials do.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I think the seat is the way i will look at going. I allready drag the foot pegs on the corners, so i don't really want to lower the bottom. That would just take away some of my fun. I know this isn't a crotch rocket, but it handles really well. I am kinda like the kid that needs to push his bike to the curb to get on. (well not quite that bad) I am looking at a seat made in Vietnam, but it is about $280.00 with shipping. Nice looking seat though.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Here is the seat i am looking at. The special comes with the pan, where the Standard doesn't.

1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

May I suggest having your existing seat reworked to a lower saddle hieght by a local upholsterer, it may cost less than a replacement.
          When I had my 78's seat restored, I had the front half lowered by one inch and the rear half raised by the same amount. I didn't do this for inseam issues (I wear a 34" inseam and flatfooted it before mods), I was looking for appearance and comfort improvement from the "bench seat" paradigm of the OE seat, however there is still about 2" more padding to work with for lowering purposes (if you don't mind investing in monkey-butt powder)
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
          X