Good Header?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Header?????

I own a 1980 midnight special and would like to put a good 4-1 header on my bike that has one of those canister things and is not real loud. I don't care if it's black or chrome. I've seen post about the mac 4-2 and how they are sort of loud. I really would like a 4-1 that doesnt block my oil filter and such and doesnt cause me to remove the center stand. Any advise?
    He who hesitates is lost.

As far new goes, I think there are only two still available in the US. The chrome Mac 4:1 and the painted (black) Jardine 4:1.

I have tried them both. The Mac fits nice and clears the oil filter. The Jardine only fits a Special (unless it is modified) and clears the oil filter. The individual down pipes of the Jardine can be a pain to install.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

What about the center stand

i guess who cares huh?

which one is the quieter.
      thats the jardine on your wab page pic i bet.

I guess ill call jardine in the am
      He who hesitates is lost.

Comment

I found both to be on the load side. Both work with the centerstand. I went with the Jardine because I did not want chrome. I like the shape and fit of the Mac. The Mac also does not drag on a right had turn as the Jardine does.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Something I have always wanted to try is a Mac 4:1 with dual FJ cans (one on each side). It would take a little fabricating, but should look and sound great.

The Mac would work for this because the Mac's collector is in the center of the bike. It would take hacking off the Mac header pipe and muffler, building a "Y" header pipe and attaching the two mufflers.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
            As far new goes, I think there are only two still available in the US. The chrome Mac 4:1 and the painted (black) Jardine 4:1.
            I'm pretty sure Jardine still offers a chrome 4:1. I got one from Dennis Kirk last year.
            Robert
            79 SF

Comment

4-1 with duals sounds good to me
              Garry
              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

exhaust,s

over here in the u.k we can still get marshall deeptone 4 into 1,chrome,and motad 4 into 1 chrome.if yiu check out ,www.mandp.com, it is a mail order and i got a deep tone of them went on the bike a treat,and kept the main stand as well,i nearly got a original xs1100e exhaust(left hand side) brand new from the usa but it was a different part no for the uk bike,good luck,

Comment

Working...
                X