Dunstall VTR--done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunstall VTR--done

I posted a little project I have been doing awhile ago. I got it nearly finished this past week. I only have a few minor things left--replacing the battery for a lighter one, adjust the chain, and the like. But I figured I would post up some pics of the {nearly} finished project. Thanks for tolerating this build!

As soon as weather permits, I am going to get it dyno'd and really dialled in, and also get an official weight. I will let you guys know how that goes!
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

I have been interested in this one since the beginning and I think that it turned out great! My only concern might be, have you done enough riding to see how comfortable the seat is? Regardless I think it looks awesome.

Cheers
    1979 XS1100 SF - My first project

Comment

me too,
      i think its come up sweet,

how do u find riding it?
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

So many mention comfort. Does that bike look like it was designed for comfort? That isnt the point.

Nice job man.
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Nice!

Me likey! For safety sake, please watch the chain or put a guard on it.
          78 XS1100E Standard
          Coca Cola Red
          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Looks good! For some reason that red chain always catches my eye! Don't know why.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Damn, Ford, that beast looks awesome! I bet it's one wicked machine. Enjoy it, sir.
              Richard
              '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
              '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Elevener is exactly right, though. It was not built for comfort, but rather for light weight and handling. It's not a long distance bike, so I figured I could sacrifice some of the comfort. As I said earlier, I have not got the final dyno tuning done yet, so I won't be riding it much till it is. Plus, there is still too much snow and water laying around, so it would get pretty filthy pretty quick
                I will be watching the chain pretty close. It still needs to be adjusted/ trued, but will get careful monitoring before and during every ride. Just can't bring myself to hide the red chain yet, though.

Thanks for all your input guys. This has been a fun little project. I will try to keep posted as changes occur!
                Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
                  I will be watching the chain pretty close. It still needs to be adjusted/ trued, but will get careful monitoring before and during every ride. Just can't bring myself to hide the red chain yet, though.
                  Even if you just extended the sprocket guard back a couple inches to the foot peg that would pretty much protect your pants from getting caught on the chain and would be adequate.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That thing looks pissed off and mean just sitting there -- nice work, Ford!
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X