found one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found one

today I dropped into an old bike shop I used to frequent.I havent been there for about 7years. Sitting there was a 78 1100E. My mechanic friend said the guy never came back for it.This bike has 37k + on it. Its sat there for the last 7 years!!!I remember it being there for atleast two before this, I was eyeing it up then..This bike may have potential for a refurbish.it looks preetty good under the two inches of shop dust.sits in a spot all to itself. Still all factory stuff on it except for the fairing and bags. I offered him300 then 500 bucks canadian for it. He wants 8oo.A good deal?I asked him to think about it.the owner has to ssend the mechanic the ownership.Its been inside all this time.yikes ,on the side stand too. Any chance of it being ceased?thats the worse case scenario( iknow guys ,check the site on what to look for in an xs.)The mechanic said it has igntion trouble.I think we all know what that might be. i know this bike would have to be cleaned right down to evry connector.Has any one had worse out there and turneed out a great bike.Guess he saw me smackin my lips.Imagine . A dusty old motorcycle had me just trembling with excitement.Guess I should ask momma for a loan??
    Steve

At a minimum, this bike is going to need a new battery and tires, carb cleaning, brake system teardown and cleaning, engine oil, middle and final drive fluids. I would offer to pay their $800 asking price, but tell them it would be conditional on them getting you clear title and getting the bike to run, drive, and stop. This should look after the battery, carbs, some of the brake needs, and let you determine if 2nd gear is okay. Then you can work on getting them to help out by getting you some tires at dealer cost. You will still have some work to do, but the major expenses shold be looked after. If all they can do for you is provide clear title to a bike that is not running, I wouldn't go above your current $500 offer. If they can't get you clear title, go back to your $300 offer, and lay it on thick about the potential 2nd gear problem, plugged carb passages, and perished rubber in the calipers and the tires, etc, etc
    Ken Talbot

Comment

re;found one

Thanks Ken, I always value your input. I was trying to get this bike as is.my old mechanics nick name is locknut. He.s an okay guy but can be tight with money and a wrench.. i jsut know from what Ive read here on the about 1100's how great they are. 37 k is nothing on these bikes and I would suspect that 2nd gear would be okay. Id was more concerned about the open valves after all this time.this unit needs rubber, carbs done, fluids ,grease, tank relined,everything , Under all that i see potential for a great bike.ive had mine for 24 years and its been great, this year it runs even better.. I know a great carb guy. I can do alot on my own and compensate for where I lack technically. Thanks to this site all your knowledge.ive learned so much. I dont know where id be with out this crew. ya ,I know, Ive already talked myself into this. Im excited.( wife rolls her eyes).But i love these bikes and its a shame its sitting there with no damage.I have a buddy who works in DMV too.my little brain is working.i look at this way too ,If the bike is ceased or rotted out, which I doubt,At least Id have a great parts bike.so price wise I wasnt to far out.Ill keep you posted and thanks so much for having this site.
      Later Steve

Comment

Price

I think 800$ canadian is a little high for the bike's condition. I bought mine from a dealer who had it for 3 years, after original owner left it there. Mine had 58K kms on it, some exterior rust & full travel package on it, I got it for $680 canadian. I admit I've done a fair amount of work to it, clutch cable, oil, front brake, steering bearing, & carb cleaning (still to be done). I just think you should be able to talk him down a little considering what you'll have to do to it. It's not like a salvage yard will give him that much for it.

Comment

Working...
        X