Scott and Ed's Magnificent Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott and Ed's Magnificent Adventure

Scott (3Phase,) heard that SWMBO and I needed help getting an electrical gremlin on our 1980 something Volvo fixed, so he rode all the way up from Semi Valley (Southern California) to hang out and give us a hand. Turns out our Volvo wrench had the situation well in hand, so his help wasn't needed in that regard, but while he was up here we decided we should go for a putt.
    We had a ride plan more or less worked out which started with breakfast at a local independently owned restaurant. On the way there my bike developed a disturbing kinda gear grinding sound emanating from the rear drive.We parked my bike at a doughnut shop. I rode “bitch” behind Scott and we went to join my better half for breakfast, and afterword we returned to rescue my bike.
    I had called DiverRay at work and was informed that he did indeed have a spare final drive, and gave us instructions for how to get it out of his storage unit. It was decided that I should try to ride the bike back to my apartment to do the swap. I proceeded to ride the bike back ve-e-e-wy gently so as not to strain the gears, but the inevitable occurred at the least opportune location: at 30 MPH the rear end locked up right in front of the county jail leaving a very impressive 20 foot skid mark (This is nothing compared to DiverRay's 80 mph tranny lock up!) The good news was that there was a 12 hr parking meter within skidding distance, so skid we did, with several breathing breaks.
    Long story made short, we got back with the final drive and did the swap in front of the County Lockup, complete with the obligatory re-do after the traditional “did we install the spring? No, here it is.”
    Well, more on the rest of our adventure later perhaps, but for now...
    It's faint, but here is the skid mark
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That's me: fortunately back lighted

Think this could have been the cause?

Lesson: when you park yer bike for 6 months or more, give it an inspection before you take off on a ride!
    For more on our Magnificent Adventure go to the Ride Report page.
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Wow, that sucks! Glad ya got that all straightened out though!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I wonder how long of a "pee" line of gear oil was left behind it on your way? That back tire should have had plenty of lube to slide its way across after the lock-up though!!

Glad all are safe and it worked out for you!
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Hey, Ed!
        Wow... heck of an adventure, huh?
        Bet you'll always remember that ride!

Cool ya got some pics to preserve it, too.

Glad to see you're back in the saddle again!

You had me and Cody worried there for a while!

Take care.
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Another 3phase adventure

Everytime Scott goes for a ride something dramatic happens, Scott you need to write a book about your xs experiences,,,,It would rival the other great author of xs1100's, forgot his name. Good thing Scott was there, he probably could do the repair in the dark, no arms, blind, and gagged...glad it all worked out. It gives all of us a heads up to check our bikes more thoroughly before taking off...............Special Ed and 3Phase Rock,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Hey Scott,
            You got room on that bike for a journal??? AND a pencil?

Sounds like a good ride despite the, or because of the excitement!
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
              Sounds like a good ride despite the, or because of the excitement!
              +1 on that

Glad all worked out
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

From what I've actually seen on the LD rides, he would be hard-pressed for pencil room.........
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00462.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	861858 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00456.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	861859 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00459.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	861860 You know, if I had a journal with me I don't think anything interesting would happen. On second thought: I should pack a journal and leave the tools and spare bits at home!

This ride still isn't over yet and I've been home for daze. There wasn't much traffic on Sunday with everyone locked to their televisions for the Superbowl but it was still an intense trip with a bad rear tire on the bike. I stopped by Los Olivos to visit Bobber but his phone wasn't working and it seems he's moved.
                  Last edited by 3Phase; 12-02-2020, 12:15 AM. Reason: 01-Dec-2020 Uploaded the pictures for the thread to the new site.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Better late than never!

Yep: I finally finished the ride report I'm sorry, but my "muse" was on a bender. Please go to my post on the "Ride Report" site.
                    Special Ed
                    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
                    X