• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is Cyclone Yassi??

This is the cyclone cat 5 that is hitting Queensland Australia

http://twitpic.com/3vow7y

bit big ay???

First the floods, now a cat 5 hurricane!!!
    Who did you folks piss off??
    Stay safe, I feel for you.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

yassi

This is a better report

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/spe...-1225998850720

Comment

Dang! That's HUGE!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yasi

Auxtian,
          I have a sister and brother-in-law living in Carins QLD lost internet with her yesterday at noon, Yasi was still off coast when I last heard from her, don't know if thay made it down to earlville shopping centre or not.Hope thay are O K thay downgreaded Yasi to a 3 for carins, but still ya never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Duke View Post
            Auxtian,
            I have a sister and brother-in-law living in Carins QLD lost internet with her yesterday at noon, Yasi was still off coast when I last heard from her, don't know if thay made it down to earlville shopping centre or not.Hope thay are O K thay downgreaded Yasi to a 3 for carins, but still ya never know.
            i like you have a niece in the same area ,i have had no contact yet ,,the good news being yassi has been downgraded to a two at last report but still carries 6to 7 hundred mm of rain ,,slow mo!
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

That's a massive storm! I hope everyone fares well.
              Richard
              '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
              '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

more news on yassi

Cairns escapes worst
                Cyclone Yasi has left Cairns relatively unscathed and the city will be open for business "very soon", the city's mayor says.
                "The CBD and our beautiful esplanade in Cairns is unscathed," Mayor Val Schier said on Thursday morning.
                "The main concern at the moment is we're waiting for the electricity authority to let us know the all clear because we don't want people coming into contact with live power lines.
                "We lost power in some suburbs from very early on - from 7 o'clock in the evening - so the majority of Cairns is without power."
                She said there had been no major reports of structural damage.
                "We'll be out cleaning the streets and getting rid of the debris and giving people the all clear to go home," she said.
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Yasi aftermath cleanup

thanks for the heads up Slow-Mo
                  Last edited by Iron Duke; 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM. Reason: misspell

Comment

Good to hear slow mo
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yasi worked its way across the country's far northeast coast around midnight as a Category 5 storm, just as forecasters had predicted, bringing winds of nearly 280 kilometres an hour.

But as soon as it made landfall, the storm immediately began weakening. Still, it was strong enough to create plenty of destruction.
                      "The field of devastation is quite large," reporter Michael Westlake of the Courier-Mail newspaper told CTV's Canada AM Thursday morning from Brisbane.
                      "The cyclone was quite big; it was actually 500-km wide, so we're talking about a massive swath of destruction that's been cut through the Queensland coast."
                      Hundreds of houses were destroyed or seriously damaged and power to more than 180,000 homes severed. Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said several thousand people were now homeless because of the storm. Red Cross Australia and local governments were working on registering people in need and finding places to house them.
                      In the town of Cardwell, where storm surges washed deep in the town, boats and debris now litter the streets. Elsewhere, hundreds of millions of dollars of banana and sugarcane crops were shredded by the storm.
                      But for now, the focus is on being grateful that no lives were lost.
                      "The good news for Queensland was where it hit was very sparsely populated area," said Westlake.
                      "It swung away from the majors centres of Cairns and Townsville, so that was some good news and large part of the reason why we've been fortunate enough not to have any fatalities out of this event. But the damage to infrastructure, to crop, to private property and houses is just astronomical."
                      Officials said they believed that lives were spared because about 100,000 citizens in Yasi's path had followed instructions to flee to evacuation centres set up in shopping centres and other heavy-built facilities.
                      "This was the worst cyclone this country has experienced, potentially, for 100 years and I think that due to very good planning, a very good response ... we've been able to keep people safe," Queensland's Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts told reporters.
                      The cyclone hit just north of an area of Queensland that has seen the worst flooding in decades. The floods have swamped an area the size of Germany and France combined and caused an estimated $5.6 billion in damage since November.
                      "Queensland has certainly suffered this year; it's been quite an amazing run of events," said Westlake.
                      "Obviously, there's a lot of rebuilding that needs to go on around the state because there's been such devastation with the infrastructure damage from the massive floods in the south, and now with the north being torn apart by the cyclonic winds of Yasi."
                      moemcnally@hotmail.com
                      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Size

I would cover almost all of the US mainland.
                        Sailinganarchy.com has photos.
                        Unkle Crusty

Comment

Anyone know if our Aussie friends made it through and are okay?
                          Richard
                          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

My people made it thru O K, thay got there power back at noon today, and my sis couldn't wait to get back to games on FB, house n yard wern't even touched, my thoughts are with those who were hit abc.net.au said over 5 billion in damage

Comment

Working...
                            X