vetter mounting bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vetter mounting bracket

i would like to find out if there is a certain type of mounting bracket for an xs1100 special? i have a bracket just don,t know if its the right one thanks !! ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

The special and the standard used the same mounts if that is what your asking.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      The special and the standard used the same mounts if that is what your asking.
      might any one have a picture of that mount ?thank you ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
      The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
      moemcnally@hotmail.com
      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Bullet posted a pic here a bit ago

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...7&postcount=16
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

the one in the picture looks similar to mine i guess we will just give it a go and if need be weld or cut thanks ,,and ride safe ,,slow mo!
          moemcnally@hotmail.com
          i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

I mounted an 81 standard fairing and mount to my 81 SH without a hitch, bolted right up.
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
              I mounted an 81 standard fairing and mount to my 81 SH without a hitch, bolted right up.
              hi davinci ! my problem is that i don't know if the vetter ss fairing i bought will work with the mount the seller gave me? ride safe ,,slow mo! thank you ,,,
              moemcnally@hotmail.com
              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

slow mo,
                I've got a vetter fairing and bracket hanging in my garage. It came on my '80 standard. The bracket I have looks just like the one in the pic linked to the post above, except for the holes in line with the curved pipe sections. That above pic shows one hole above each pipe section, I've got 2 holes above each, and they accept a U bolt to clamp it to the upper down tubes. You might need to drill new holes for U bolts if there is no welded nut already on your down tubes. Those half pipes get hose clamps to hold them snug to the lower down tubes. The whole attachment process is easy-peasy. Vetter says all the fairings bolt up to all the brackets.

scoot

Comment

It seems (but I do not know) that someone nay have drilled those holes in yours. From pics I see of mounted fairing it seems most all have hose clamps holding the brace to the downtubes.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I agree with Nate, the extra holes were probably drilled by the PO. I know on my special, mounting a fairing required relocating the horns (dual horns on the 81). Or maybe the PO wanted to mount lights there. That's the mistery of PO's....you'll never know what they were thinking...or why
                    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I would think a u bolt would be better than hose clamps though.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The hose clamps work quite well, and they have been holding a fairing on my bike for ~30 years now.

+1 on the extra holes being drilled by a PO, as mine has two, and they go into the dual horn mounts (my 80 having two as well), with a spot on the mount to mount the horns to.

Mine has two hose clamps on each side. I think that "U" bolts would be both ugly and pretty much get in the way of working on the bike where those hose clamps are. I think that hose clamps are the best option for that spot, and are more than secure enough IMHO.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

cwelchjr,
                          you sure know your stuff! I had to go grab my old bracket out of the rafters to call you on those Ubolts, and upon closer inspection it's obvious that this bracket does in fact bolt onto the horn mounts. And the second hole is for relocating the horns a couple inches over. And I thought I had misplaced those Ublots. So it's horn bolts and hose clamps here, too, I agree.

scoot

Comment

I like to think I'm right more often than wrong. And I do try to keep my mouth shut if I don't know, or if I just think it might be a certain way I usually try to put the point across that I'm not sure. I'll admit though that I have been wrong a time or two, but please don't spread that around too much, or let it get back to SWMBO, that could get me in trouble.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You can mount an oil cooler where those "extra" holes are.

Comment

Working...
                              X