Nanny state is going to do this to your motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanny state is going to do this to your motorcycle

Go to this site and read the british version of the future of motorcycles.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12266406
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

It looks like they are going to take the motorcycle and make it into the British version of food! No taste, and bad for you all in one bite!
    I'll do my best to keep OUR IDIOTS in power from killing motorcycles. It was tried in the Regan era, but they couldn't do it!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Interesting idea... As if the distractions and idrenaline of riding aren't enough, now the helmet and seat are going to vibrate to tell you that someone is driving in the lane beside you or if the BIKE thinks you're going too fast??

There are already stepped requirements for bikes overe there aren't there? Having to start with a small bike, then move up? I can only imagine the added cost that a system like that would add to a bike, discouraging people from buying a bike.

Gotta love how the manufacturer of this system says that "the helmet restricts visibility". I wonder how he quantifies that. I have better visibility in my full-face helmet than I do in my cage! As far as I'm concerned, all they need to do is focus on training - both for riders AND cagers. Improve the behind-the-wheel training to include difficult manuevers and judgement calls.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

It was tried in the Carter era, too. Anyone remember Joan Claybrook and this contraption?

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...t/claybrk.html
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

That all just sounds retarded!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

yup...stranger than fiction
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I'd like to see them fit a 'vibrating' anything to a big street single or twin that you could notice over the engine shaking...

One thing I do agree with them on is the 'stepped' licensing. Washington state has had this on and off, and it's a good thing if it keeps some wannabe from buying a 190mph rocket or 700lb tour-monster as their first bike....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'll agree with you on the stepped license. It really makes sense. Make them spend a certain amount of time (and miles) on a smaller machine first. I understand in the UK they have to document the mileage before they can move up, but maybe I'm reading something into it that isn't there. I do know they have to wait a certain amount of time, and they have 3 tiers partially based on age.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Good God. Sounds like having your mom riding in the back seat of your car
                  when you were 16.

"Watch out for that truck".
                  "Aren't you going a little fast in here?"
                  "Slow down for this corner".
                  "You know it raining don't you?"
                  "You didn"t even stop there."
                  "Aren't you a little close to that car?"

I'd think I'd rather walk.....
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                    when you were 16.

Heck, my mom still sounds like that if she is riding in a vehicle I am driving.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                      when you were 16.

LOL! That's a perfect comparison! Reminds me of the car commercial with Mr. and Mrs Potato Head in the convertible!

I agree that the stepped licensing thing is good in theory, but it would have prevented me from ever getting a bike. There is no way I could have been able to afford to buy a small bike, fix it up, ride it for a year, then buy ANOTHER bike to fix up. I would have gotten frustrated with the limitations of the small bike in a matter of weeks, and wasting money on a bike that I know I am going to get rid of ASAP just doesn't make sense.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

But bug, ya gotta think, if that was the way the it was set up there would also be many more usable and affordable used small bikes on the market due to the fact that everyone is upgrading due to the system.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          But bug, ya gotta think, if that was the way the it was set up there would also be many more usable and affordable used small bikes on the market due to the fact that everyone is upgrading due to the system.
                          I see the opposite happening. If people knew that you were required to buy a smaller bike first, the prices on the smaller bikes would shoot through the roof. Much like the prices on the MSF courses in Florida when the state started to require it to get your license.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I agree that right away they would but I think eventually it would even out when people just need to unload their little bike so they can upgrade. Especially if financially they need to unload it to upgrade.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                              I agree that the stepped licensing thing is good in theory, but it would have prevented me from ever getting a bike. There is no way I could have been able to afford to buy a small bike, fix it up, ride it for a year, then buy ANOTHER bike to fix up. I would have gotten frustrated with the limitations of the small bike in a matter of weeks, and wasting money on a bike that I know I am going to get rid of ASAP just doesn't make sense.
                              When we had the stepped licensing here in this state, it consisted of having to actually test on the size bike you wanted a license for. This was to prevent people from testing with a step-through Honda then buying/riding something like a VMax or a 'wing (which went on a lot). The test was a bit of a joke, being done entirely in a parking lot; while it didn't eliminate the idiots, it at least thinned them out.

I hear what you're saying 'Bug; not everyone can afford to change bikes to 'move up'. But the other side of the coin is the riders that just have to have the biggest/fastest as a first bike, have the money to buy one, and who says they can't? Of course, a sizable percentage of these end up as statistics, and their survivors and/or caregivers agitate for 'better' licensing laws to protect these idiots from themselves. I'll readily admit the 'British Model' wouldn't work here, as a 250cc-under limitation is a scary thought in some of our traffic. But a green rider on a large, fast motorcycle who hasn't figured out the difference between that and their car isn't good either...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X