Help In Southern Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help In Southern Florida

Does anyone know of a competent and trustworthy person in southern Florida who is able to restore a XS1100?

I bet you could do it! Otherwise it is going to cost BIG bucks to have it done. Everyone here is available to help with instructions, advice, and encouragement when needed. There might even be some guys in your area that could possibly help if need be.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by et6wZ View Post
      Does anyone know of a competent and trustworthy person in southern Florida who is able to restore a XS1100?
      Hi et6 and welcome,
      there's bound to be someone but unless you are swimming in lard you can't afford to pay him.
      At today's shop rates a full resto gonna cost you some thousands of dollars.
      A set of metric wrenches and a Haynes or Clymer manual will get you through the mechanical stuff.
      The least costly approach to DIY paint is a Preval paint system.
      Plus this list is full of it, and some of it is helpful.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by et6wZ View Post
        ...to restore a XS1100?
        Define 'restore'....

If you're merely looking to fix it up until it's presentable and a reliable runner, then pretty much everything you'll need to know to DIY can be found here. And at a reasonable cost too (although the definition of 'reasonable' will vary widely!! ).

If you want close to or like 'showroom-new', it'll be cheaper in almost all cases to simply look for and buy the most pristine low-miles example you can find. You can usually find (with some patience) under 15K-miles bikes that look all but new for under $5K. If you have the usual 'cosmetically challenged' example most start with, just bringing the appearence back to 'as-built' will likely run you well over $2 or 3K, assuming you do the disassembly/reassembly. Most complete 'pro' restorations cost between $10 and 20K for a turnkey job...
        Last edited by crazy steve; 01-15-2011, 11:55 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I agree... Even something as simple as rebuilding the carbs is something that most local bikes shops will either mess up or rip you off for (or both). These bikes are relatively simple, with no fuel injection or anti-lock brakes or anything complicated like that. With tools that will fit in a saddlebag, you can completely tear the bike apart, repair it and put it back together again. Some things may require a compressor or a drill press... Get yourself a manual or two (both are available as a free download from the link in my signature) and get your hands greasy. You'll save a TON of money and be a lot more proud of your bike and yourself when you are done.

Once it's back on the road, you can take your time polishing and painting and replacing the cosmetic parts as you feel the need.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I live in South FL and to date I haven't found a really good mechanic for these bikes. I have learned to do most of the stuff on my own like rebuild the carbs, replace cables, wiring and such. I still haven't had to touch things like replacing tires or the clutch or more major stuff.

I had someone that had a shop in Margate that did a descent job on a clutch rebuild when I got the bike but not so good on the carb rebuild. They never got the balance right.

There is a guy who lives up in Delray "Doc" who has had a few people up there work on his old bikes. Maybe he can chime in and say if he still uses any of them.

Eventually I know I will have to find someone to do somework like dremmel the forks to stop the gear slip fix. It looks easy but these are things I haven't done before, I don't have the tools nor really the time to do stuff like this.

But like I said, I have learned using clymers and help on this site to keep it running. If I can do it, I am pretty sure that anyone can.
            Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Originally posted by thumperjsa View Post

Eventually I know I will have to find someone to do somework like dremmel the forks to stop the gear slip fix. It looks easy but these are things I haven't done before, I don't have the tools nor really the time to do stuff like this.

But like I said, I have learned using clymers and help on this site to keep it running. If I can do it, I am pretty sure that anyone can.
              I'd like to point out that its going to be near impossible to find any shop that is willing to do the "dremel" fix on your gears. In fact if you suggest such a thing they will likely laugh at you. If you take it to a shop their going to want to swap in new gears, and that might be cheaper given shop labor rates.
              Even here where the dremel fix is well known and many have had success there are still those that doubt it and would suggest new gears instead. Also a shop is going to want to charge you to remove the engine and split the cases. They won't believe you and many won't take the time to research it either.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Yea, I am pretty sure to do the dremel fix I will have to find a XS'r experienced in this if I choose this route. Getting a mechanic to redo the gears I assume would be more costly than the book value of the bike.
                Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Relying on any mechanic to work on our bikes is costly . If you're not able to work on these bikes ,just don't want to or if you don't have a good friend to help you (oh you know who you are ) you are better just buy a "rider", something todays bike mechanic knows how to fix. Like most of us have realized our bikes are older than most good mechanics.
                  BDF Special
                  80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                  Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Thumperjsa, I'm right down the street from you. When you need help with the gears, give me a shout.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                      Like most of us have realized our bikes are older than most good mechanics.
                      Then they aren't that good of a mechanic....
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        That may be true in some ways but todays mechanics or techs are only trained on modern bikes . They don't want to work on 30 yr old bikes because they are not educated on our bikes that doesn't say they are not good mechanics. The computer tells a tech what needs to be replaced on the new bikes and cars. Mechanics have become "parts replacers" not that there's anything wrong with that
                        BDF Special
                        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Not real close to you but this guy "GNEPIG"
                          (forum member here altho have not noticed any recent posts from him)
                          I believe is a MC tech and an XSive.
                          Think he lives around Sarasota or Bradenton and also don’t know if he is willing… wouldn’t hurt to PM him

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            I've known a few younger "good" mechs, but overall your right, at least on older bikes. But you do run into the ones that are in to restoring vintage bikes, and they generally are pretty much as knowledgeable as anybody on here, since it's usually their love of the old machines that drives them much like us.

However, it's true for for many of them, it's nothing more than a job.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I agree with both of you. But parts replaces are not mechanics.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X