Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New From Vienna, VA

Hi
    I am new here and live in Vienna, VA. I have found a winter project, 1980 xs 1100. This is my first motorcycle in almost 25 years. Could you tell me what to look at "type of known problems". This bike dose not run right now and needs some TLC. The asking price is $400.00.
    Thanks
    Stu

Welcome and Congrats on your new ride! Here is a link for general things to look at.

http://www.xs11.com/faqs/16-what-to-...ed-xs1100.html

I would alao suggest actually checking your steering neck vin number and making sure of your year and model (they seem to get mixed up over the years) here is a link to check your vin against.

http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html

Would also suggest pulling the carbs and giving tune a good cleaning, again here is a link.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...b+cleaning+101

Other than that, once you are positive is your make and model out it in your signature line so we all known start asking questions. Describe your symptoms and we all can help direct you in your efforts.

Oh yeah we like pictures!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by stu22180 View Post
      Hi
      I am new here and live in Vienna, VA. I have found a winter project, 1980 xs 1100. This is my first motorcycle in almost 25 years. Could you tell me what to look at "type of known problems". This bike dose not run right now and needs some TLC. The asking price is $400.00.
      Thanks
      Hi Stu and welcome,
      if all (or even most) of the parts are there $400 is an OK price, even for a non-runner.
      OTOH, if the bike has no clear title it's just a source of parts in most States.
      If you've been off of 2 wheels for a quarter-century best you take a riders course.
      And before you ride it anywhere, check how old the tires are. Even if they look perfect, old tires will be as hard as wood and thus not safe to ride on.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have yet to see the bike. I found the bike through a buddy of mine and hope to have some photos emailed to me soon. When I get them I will post them. I am planning to take a bike class. I am already in love with the bike just from what I read on this forum. Thanks
        Stu

Comment

Do some searching here, but i seem to recall that there is a get-together in your area in the spring
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi Stu and welcome,
            if all (or even most) of the parts are there $400 is an OK price, even for a non-runner.
            OTOH, if the bike has no clear title it's just a source of parts in most States.
            If you've been off of 2 wheels for a quarter-century best you take a riders course.
            And before you ride it anywhere, check how old the tires are. Even if they look perfect, old tires will be as hard as wood and thus not safe to ride on.
            hehehe, he said wood.

If there is a title, I would say that $400 is a decent price. If there is not, if the bike is complete, and just needs some cleaning up, there are title services out there that will get you a good title, if your willing to pay for it (I believe its a few hundred to do it).

+1 on the taking the riding course if you have been off two wheels for a quarter century. I almost took one when I got back riding, and that was only like 13 years, but I took it easy, remembered my lessons from before, and rode a smaller bike for about 6 months first, then I found my beast.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Stu,

Welcome to the site. I'm in Vienna too, over by Cunningham Park ES. If you need any help or guidance don't hesitate to call, 703 849-9056. I know a thing or two about these bikes.

Darrell
              Darrell
              78E
              80G project
              06FJR

Comment

Welcome Stu !!
                You will find on here "ALL" the greatest people you'll ever need to help you with anything on your XS1100..I have an 80' XS1100 full dresser LOVE MY RIDE!!!! You will also find more laughs here in the posts than a barrel-of-monkeys...Always a great feeling signing off here at night smiling ..

Wulf
                Catch'n The Phoenix
                80 XS1100 G
                85 XR600R
                86 YX600
                Previously owned
                78 KZ1000
                80 KZ550
                78 DT250E

Wulf
                Knowledge Is Power

Comment