Side Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Cover

Anyone know where I can get a left or both side covers for a '79 xs1100 special (besides ebay...nothing there)?

Do you know if any other years fit? I do not care if they are plain either. I just do not like my battery showing. - Nam

ebay had a right side cover

On ebay there was a right side cover for a special 79 , but it was under XS 11 not xs 1100.

Thanks
    Sherry

Comment

Not in the last few days. Is there no place that sells after-market side covers? I have no idea how it even blew off because it was locked in. - I lost it in a 1 hour trip, so I did it again and looked for it. No luck.

Comment

still on ebay

The ebay number of the auction is 2434398757 and still has two days left to go.

We purchased an aftermarket one and it cost us 96.00, they are not cheap.

Check this one out.

Sherry

Comment

side covers

Will ones off a 80 standard work.I don't know. I have a set of nice ones. I beleive off 80 standard.

'live to ride -ride to live'
          when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
          80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Well brother,
            I was told with my SF, that to find a cover "intact" would be the find of the decade!
            I e-mailed one in our Classifieds who had some at the time, but they needed repair (locking posts). Then I went to our local recycle yard and I FOUND ONE intact, on the ground beside a skeleton of an XS. I got it for 10$ and thought I had struck gold!
            I had it off the bike one day in July (don't remember what I was doing) and my 14 mth old grandaughter was helping me (LOL) well, stupid me left it on the driveway and of course (you know it!) she stepped on it and it shattered.... major bummer. (don't know why I am telling you all this?!) Anyway, thanks to the helps on this site I was able to fix the one that came with the bike. I have not seen an intact left cover on Ebay or anywhere else.
            Now, Merriam Cycles does make replacement covers for our bikes. Last price posted on their site is $175 per set. They are supposed to be stronger than the origials (I don't know as they are way out of my price range... with exchange rate and shipping, etc.)
            If that will work for you, give them a call... seem like decent folks and they know our bikes inside-out.
            http://www.merriamcycle.com
            Good luck, travel safe
            '79 Special

Comment

Sorry... I tried to edit the post, but got a "5 minute timeout thing"
              I tried to e-mail the Admin and it bounced back.....

My line " Last price posted on their site is $175 per set. " Should have read " $175 EACH"
              sorry about the mis-quote.
              CMA1
              '79 Special

Comment

I actually have found a lot of online junkyards that have similar parts. Does anyone know if the 79 XS1100 standard side covers will fit the 79 XS1100 special? Will any other years fit??? - Kris

Comment

ouestion about side covers

We have both bikes a 79 special and a 79 standard. There is a little bit of difference in the tabs, we tried that and it didn't work.

My motorhead is restoring both of these bikes and one of the tabs on the standard is slightly differnt so it won't fit.

Hope this answers your question.

Sherry & Mark

Comment

Unlucky

SF is a 1 of a kind. Has slots on top to mount on and 80's had round holes and I think the change might have been before the model year' not sure. Gotta check those pics real hard and ask ?'s before you buy! Hope that helps!(BTDT)
                    Garry
                    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

i also am missing the side covers for my 1980 sx1100sg. so i also am looking for some if you could help me i would be greatful. also my fuse box is broken and if someone knows where i could find a new one again i would be greatful.
                      thanks,
                      dan

Comment

fuse box

Send me your email address and I will send you an email for how to get a fuse box that is remade and better for the XS 1100.

As for the side covers, just keep searching on the net, you will find them, it took us about 3 months, but we found ours

There is a site called, I think riderparts.com
                        that is a nationwide salvage site, if you sign up, they will search all kinds of salvage yards for you and send you emails back from them with prices and if they have them.

Soemtimes it takes a couple of days to a week to get an answer.

Hope this helps you out.

Sherry & Mark

Comment

'79 left side cover

There is currently a left side cover on Ebay,
                          for a '79 Special.....
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35584
                          Good Luck
                          '79 Special

Comment

Originally posted by silverspirit
                            also my fuse box is broken and if someone knows where i could find a new one again i would be greatful.
                            thanks,
                            dan
                            There is a couple of great tips on making your own fuse box, and also there is an awesome kit for sale too, comes with everthing you need.

I helped write this one: Fuse Block Options

JP's take:
                            Replacing the fuseblock

Rick's do it your self kit, for sale cheap:
                            Rick's Fuseblock

It's all here have a look around
                            Gary Granger
                            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                            X