Led replacement for 1157 bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led replacement for 1157 bulb

Came across this on Ebay. Anyone seen one, or used one?

Led tail/brake lite
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

I haven't seen one yet but i'd sure like to try one!
    Garry
    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

I put a pair of the LED bulbs in my tail light. They work great !!
      Even at idle, when I engage the brake and the light comes on, the head light no longer dims. The bulbs put out a red light so you have red inside red lens. They are plenty bright. The only negative is that the license light is now red too and not very bright, possible excuse to be pulled over, not sure. Another plus is that if your lens gets broken, you still have a red light out back.

I also tried them in the turn signals, they wouldn't flash. I don't know why but I'm not too concerned about it.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

By the way... these wern't the twirly or spinning lights, just standard (LED) bulbs.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Won't work on 79 Special.

There's only one bulb in the 79 Special tail light, Garry. Need two bulbs like the Standard tail light uses to operate properly.
          Chuck Olds
          79 XS11 SF (Special)
          71 Triumph Bonneville 650 (stock)

Comment

Hey there Brian,

They have these for sale in JCW catalog, but they specifically state that they are for OFF road use only, not DOT or authorized for street use, only for show, like auto show stuff. The bulb this guy has IS the rotating/flashing lights type! As Chuck said, they are designed to be used in a pair, not sure exactly why, but probably due to their low current draw maybe needs two to have enough resistance to activate?? So...buying only 1 wouldn't do you any good!

FYI, JCW has a brake flashing unit they sell if you're looking for something to make your brake lights stand out for more attention getting, vs. just the power savings!?

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm interested in the flashing aspect, the brightness, AND the power drain. I have been planning on mounting an led conversion like this one Led Tailight Conversion but am keeping an eye out for something that is just a "plug in" replacement. That way, if it quits on the road somewhere, it's much easier to repair by just putting the 1157 back in.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

Other places for Bulbs

Hey there again Brian,

I just checked out the DK site, and found these bulbs by EMGO for a better price than JCW!

DK LED bulbs page

In the description they gave both online and in their catalog, they DON'T state that they need to be used in pairs, however they do have a section to find what bikes the bulbs can apply or work in, and many of the newer models seem to use dual bulb light sets for the rear....and so you may need to rig up an extra socket in your tail light to be able to run 2 bulbs?!

I haven't reviewed or seen the design of the earlier model tail lights, and how they illuminate the license, you may need to rig a small dash light type socket and bulb to properly show the plate?

My Special runs twin bulbs in the tail light, and I'm actually running 2 sets of lights, the standard and an extra one on my backrest....sorta an Eyelevel one like the dash lights on cars to better get folks attention, but there is definitely some dimming of my headlight going on when I brake!!!!!! I may have to look into these...at least for my extra light set, but theway the sockets are mounted in it, the bulbs point sideways, not straight back towards the rear Keep us posted on your test/trials and results!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

CONGRATS.......... T C

Just wanted to be among the first to tell ya ... Congrats ... I back it 100%.
                  wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

Working...
                  X