been away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been away

Haven't posted much lately I figured most of you guys could handle the noob questions. I have been spending most of my time trying to absorb info a out my new project a 70 c20, and 40 years of POs on it and investigating what it needs and such.
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Thats ten more years of PO abuse than most of the XS11s have seen. And alot more territory for it to happen on.

Bought a D100 once with the 318 engine in it. Back when I was younger and dumber. PO told me the engine had just been rebuilt, brakes completely gone through...blah blah blah. I debated that purchase a while. Told the guy I'd stop otu that weekend to look it over again before buying it. He offered me a deal to buy today and offered to deliver it to my house. So I bit. Yeah of course now I know better. Well, amoung the "unique" repairs wen I investigated the drips of gas oil and hydraulic fluid in my driveway ten minutes after he dropped it off...

The fuel pump had been mounted with an envelope for a gasket. Not long enough to cover the entire flange, and not trimmed out on the interior, just shoved the lever through the flippin envelope and bolted it on, then cut off the exterior overage.

Rear brake line to the drivers side wheel cylinder was broken, rolled up, end pinched and wrapped in duct tape!!!

The brazed in line from the cylinder head to the carb was broken. So the choke did not work automatically and it was cold natured as could be.

Then the real winner of it, cylinders 7 and 8 were at half compression. I replaced the head gasket twice, did a mag flux of the head and block, poured the chambers in the head full of fuel and let it sit, no leaks, no cracks, but never got the compression over half on each. I long ago gave up on the thought anyone had really rebuilt the engine.

So, having taken a barn find well neglected and abused XS11 back to where Banshee is, compared to buying a farm field D100, i certainly see where that C20 is taking up a fair share of your time!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

It actually runs pretty good once she's warmed up but the wiring is a mess and rust never sleeps
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
        and rust never sleeps
        Aint that the truth!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just pull the box and the cab, and start repairing, and cleaning. 70's vehicles are very easy to work on, and all the parts are out there.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

gee you make it sound so easy my project will be a long time in the making , Just got a new grant steering wheel and installed it , the horn works now!!! got all the stuff for an oil change and a couple of cans of gunk so i can figure out where the oil leak is , next on the agenda is find a new carb and do a tune up
            91 kwaka kz1000p
            Stock

Comment

Project Pic's

Okay guys, remember we like project pics. Here is one of my in progress projects.

78 XS1100E Standard
              Coca Cola Red
              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Foreda, that's one straight looking Bowtie. Very nice! My father-in-law had a '79 half-ton short bed, until an icestorm decided to relocate a 18" diameter elm limb into the center of the cab. We took the original straight six and 3-on-the-tree out and had replaced them with a 350/350 combo, and was just weeks away from paint and some minor interior work, when WHAM, project over.
                Richard
                '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

To bad I wasn't closer Garth, could set you up with with a bit later model Q-Jet having an electric choke. If I remember from your pics, that carb was missin rod that would have gone down to bi-metal spring mounted on manifold and the choke pull-off vacuum diaphram and mount on right side of carb. Got a box with over 50+assorted skeleton carb kits accumalated over the years from re-building and setting up Quadrajet carbs. Don't have any of those carb pieces though. Check the salvage yards and try and find a Q-Jet off a mid seventies to 82 GM truck with the 350motor in it. As far as a carb kit, NAPA was and is the only supplier I would re-build one with. For $20 average cost depending on year application, that was the only aftermarket kit that DID'NT have any issues and always give good results. Glad to give you some pointers pertaining to what to do and what NOT to do taking those apart and re-assembling. PM if interested and let me know. With 35+yrs. re-building and setting these carbs up for various applications behind me, may be able to help you avoid any "ah sh!t" episodes.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Brant, its actually a 305 out of a 80s camaro so I am looking for an electric choke off one of those but pm me your phone number and I will call you if I need help
                    91 kwaka kz1000p
                    Stock

Comment

Q-Jet off a 350 or 305 will work fine. Electric choke will NOT mount on that carb......doesn't have the correct mount. You need the whole later carb. I'll PM my cell and save you some frustration. BTW, if U pay more than $20 for a rebuildable Q-Jet..........it's too much.
                      Last edited by motoman; 12-28-2010, 03:43 PM. Reason: add ifo
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Garth......PM sent.

Comment

Will do thx
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

Comment

Working...
                          X