Throttle cable for XS1100 SH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle cable for XS1100 SH

Any idea where I can find a throttle cable? Mine broke on the Freeway in Southern California. Fortunatly was right next to an exit ramp and coasted to a parking lot. I borrowed a screwdriver and secured the end under the screw that holds the assembly together. That enabled me to get throttle by tuging with different pressure at the cable. That was the longest 22 miles I ever rode while holding on to the handlebars with only my left hand.

I was so frustrated that I was ready to sell the bike.... but common sense returned and I'll fix it and continue to enjoy it.

I can get one at a dealer for $22 but thought I'd see if anyone knows of a better deal out there. The cable is model specific so it has to be for an XS1100 SH.

Thanks

Try Dennis Kirk Supply. They have a extensive listing of cables, catalog is free to!!!
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Had the same prob. recently. Could not find one to get shipped quick enough on-line. Had to do the dealership route. Took forever, and the sunny weather with my xs sitting under the carport did not help. I ordered 2 just in case!

Travis
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

xs cable

ithink your best bet is ebay,i have been able to get stuff of there that i cannot get from yamaha,you seem to have more stuff over there in the USA than we do in the uk.

Comment

i need a new one too - or maybe just some lube.

when it gets cold enough i have cruise control.

Comment

Cables

If you are near Santee, CA. go see Ken @ Santee Motorcycle Supply. He makes cables of all types. Tell him Big Pat (XS11) sent you. He is the first one I go to for any part.

Comment

Thanks,

I ordered from Dennis Kirk online and by the time I got home from a business trip it was here. Only $15 including shipping. I am up and throttling again!

Thanks for the tip on the guy in Santee. I live in Alpine which is a short XS 1100 trip from here. I'll check him out next time I need something.

Rick

Comment

Thanks for the tip on DennisKirk.com.

Good prices on cables. I ordered a free catalog from them as well.

Comment

little tip

rf batman,
                  Hi I cant help you find a cable but for the future and a few bucks I always carried one of those little emergency cable ends. They are the size of the lead head peice at the end of your cable and have a lock screw. They just slip over the broken end and there youre all patched up till you get home and replace the cable.10 minutes to fix. I keep mine in my left side cover.sure beats being stuck on the free way or where I live walking up the farmers lane way and having to deal with his dog.I used one in ten years,but it saved that day.
                  Steve

Comment

Push or Pull Cable

I need to replace my cable and believe I need a pull cable considering when I turn the throttle i'm pulling the carb lever up. Am I right to think I need a Pull cable and not a Push cable?
                    '79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Max13 View Post
                      I need to replace my cable and believe I need a pull cable considering when I turn the throttle i'm pulling the carb lever up. Am I right to think I need a Pull cable and not a Push cable?
                      '79 XS1100 SF
                      Correct, a pull cable is what your after.
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Our bikes use only one cable so you can't order the wrong one. The aftermarket replacement will fit both the Standard and Special models.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Be careful not to kink the new cable and test there is enough free play by turning the bars from lock to lock without the engine reving up
                          This is best done in the driveway before taking off at high speed
                          Maxim Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by rfbatman View Post
                            - - - I can get one at a dealer for $22 but thought I'd see if anyone knows of a better deal out there. The cable is model specific so it has to be for an XS1100 SH. - - -
                            Hi Rick,
                            modern cables stand up better than the 1950s ones because the outers are plastic lined but as modern cables have their ends made of cast on pot metal instead of soldered on brass, you can't easily fix them so laying out $22 is your best bet.
                            Here's an old biker trick:-
                            Buy 2 cables. Install one cable and tape the extra cable alongside it.
                            Should the replacement cable break just pull off the road and swap the cable ends over.
                            Think about doing the clutch cable too.
                            If you didn't fancy driving with no throttle you'll really hate driving with no clutch.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Max13 View Post
                              '79 XS1100 SF
                              Hi Max,
                              the only place you'll find a true push cable is on outboard motor steering gear and 1950s scooter gearshifts.
                              On bikes like Honda V4s that have two throttle cables, one cable pulls the carbs open and t'other pulls them closed.
                              Even the spotty teenage counterman that's only half your bike's age will know which cable you need. Provided he can find it in the catalog.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X