Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Just wanted to get on here and say hi. I just picked up a 1980 XS11 last night. Rode home 20 miles in 27 degrees. I couldn't feel the cold until after I got home, stopped, and peeled the smile from my face. It's gonna need a little tweaking here and there but I got it for $700 and it survived that ride great. I'll get some pics of it up soon.
    1980 XS11 Frankenstien
    1984 Honda CB650SC
    1985 Honda Magna V45
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Congrats! Just the fact that you could drive it home says more for your bike then a lot of other people here can say. I know I certainly could not have.driven mine home!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by SovereignDragon View Post
      Just wanted to get on here and say hi. I just picked up a 1980 XS11 last night. - - -
      Hi Josh and welcome,
      congratulations on your bargain. I paid more for mine in worse shape.
      Your post and profile don't say if the bike a Standard (XS11E), a Special (XS11SE) or even a Midnight Special (XS11LE)
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcome, from one new member to another.
        XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
        -- Jack Burton

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Hi Josh and welcome,
          congratulations on your bargain. I paid more for mine in worse shape.
          Your post and profile don't say if the bike a Standard (XS11E), a Special (XS11SE) or even a Midnight Special (XS11LE)
          Agreed! That's a good price for a turnkey bike! Most folks have to spend a few weeks knocking the wasp nests and rust off before things will start to move again.

However, Fred - If it's an '80, it would be a Standard (G), Special (SG), Or Midnight Special (LG). The "E" is for the '78s... But of course, I know you knew that.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            However, Fred - If it's an '80, it would be a Standard (G), Special (SG), Or Midnight Special (LG). The "E" is for the '78s... But of course, I know you knew that.
            Hi Bug,
            I know I know that too.
            And E & G ain't even next to each other on the keyboard.
            And I threw out all my aluminum pots years ago even if I can't remember why.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcome

Josh,
              If you rode it home for that price, and only "need a little tweaking here and there" , you done good. I have an '80 and spent a lot more getting to 100%(+/-) reliability with it.
              Again, welcome, and notice that pics go a long way around here.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Took me some time to figure out which one I had. It's a Standard. I do like the Special gauges better and might swap over later. As for now I'm going to just put on some new bars, change the grips, clean the wiring a little, and just go over everything to make sure nothing else needs replaced. I figure I'll ride it for a season to get used to it before really putting any money into it.
                1980 XS11 Frankenstien
                1984 Honda CB650SC
                1985 Honda Magna V45
                2012 Ducati Monster 696

Comment

Welcome to the site! Take a close look at the fuse box as they are a common weak spot in the wiring. You can get a cheap replacement from member TopCat that will replace you old one with automotive style blade fuses. Do a little search and you will see his product on a lot of peoples bikes. Again, welcome.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I think you called it on the fuse block. It still has the old style and looks like one of the wires came loose and someone just tried to stick a stripped end of the wire through the hole on the side where it's supposed to be soldered. It's loose and it's one of the headlight wires. I'll get a blade style fuse holder and rewire it. Also got it running a lot smoother. Thankfully I'm prepared because of my XJ650 and already have the special valve shim bucket holder tool, carbtune, and colortune. I hooked up my carbtune just to take a peek at the sync of the carbs and the number one carb was closed just a little more than the others. I synced them up really quick and the throttle response was amazing. I love the simplicity of these bikes. So far ahead of thier time and so easy to work on at the same time.
                    1980 XS11 Frankenstien
                    1984 Honda CB650SC
                    1985 Honda Magna V45
                    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Comment

Working...
                    X