falty brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• falty brakes

hi everyone in the USA,just need a bit of help about my xs1100e.after a little ride of about 140 miles,my front brakes came on when i did not want them to (95mph)it was the brake system got full pressure within it self.has eneyone had this problem.the bike is a 1100e model,built in 1978,but first put on the road in 1995,there were six of them found in spain i think in crates and unused.thank you for reading this ,robbie from liverpool,england.

This is a fairly common problem. In brief, there is a pressure relief port in the master cylinder that gets plugged. pressure builds up in the brake lines, and can happen in both front and rear brake systems. Fix is to remove the fluid, remove the resevoir, and clean the hole with a piece of small, fine wire. See this tech tip, complete with photos:

http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint28.shtml
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Re: falty brakes

On 9/23/2003 Robbie wrote:
      my front brakes came on when i did not want them to (95mph)it was the brake system got full pressure within it self.has eneyone had this problem.
      That sounds like a plugged fluid return hole in the master cylinder. Also known as the "spooge hole". Check out the following tech tip:

Breaks Not Releasing?
      the bike is a 1100e model,built in 1978,but first put on the road in 1995,there were six of them found in spain i think in crates and unused.
      Wow, that's quite a find!

Good luck with the brakes and keep us posted!

XSively,
      Bill K.
      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

fauty brakes

hi,thanks for that,as you have both said the same thing i will get on it over the weekend and i will let you know how i get on.i am having trouble getting my 1100f going but i will just swap parts over of my second 1100f let you know how that gets on.

Comment

faulty brakes

just let you know how i got on,done what you all said and cleaned out the hole in the master cylinder,pu it all back to gether and bled them ,a bit spongy but they will do.took the callipers of to find out that the disk has been rubing against the mounting brackit for the caliper (not good i hear you say) so i undo the two nuts on the bottom of the fork that holds the spindle,this has allowed the disk to centralise it self in the caliper,(sorted i hear you say)tighten the nuts up on the bottom of the fork and guess what ,it snapped,will keep you informed on what happens next.

Comment

Working...
          X