Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings From A New XS11 Owner

Greetings, everyone.

I've been poking around the site and lurking through the forums for about a week now. I've already learned a ton just from looking around.

A bit about me: I recently picked up an '80 XS1100 Special. I've owned 2 Yamahas in the past, an '81 650 Special and an '81 650 Maxim, but I haven't ridden in about 11 years. When buying the SG, my original plan was to get something cheap (paid $600 for it) to get back into the swing of things before buying something brand new next summer. But the more I learn about her, the more I want to hang onto her, and at this point I doubt I'll be getting anythiing else anytime soon.

She was a little rough. and after reading about how much most (if not everyone) here is working on their bikes themselves, I'm a little embarrassed to admit I took mine to a local shop to get her back in shape. While I can do basic tune-ups and maintenance on my own, she needed a valve adjustment and carb cleaning/sync quite badly. Since I've never done a valve adjustment, and I don't get along with carbs at all, I decided to let them do the entire tune-up as long as it was there. Turns out she needed the pulsor (sp?) coils replaced as well, so I found some on eBay and am awaiting their arrival while my bike waits in the shop.

Thanks for reading my long-winded post.

Now, let's see if I can figure out how to add a picture of her...

Last edited by Kit; 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM.
    XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
    -- Jack Burton

Welcome Kit!!! You have now aquired "the sickness"!!

As to the pick-up coils...ie. pulsar coils....It is most likely the wires that are bod and not the coils themselves. IT is fairly common to occur.

Prior to owning my first XS11, I had very marginal results with carbs myself. But these are fairly simple and straight forward, so I have now rebuilt 4 sets with great results to date. That is the cool thing about these bikes. The technology is advanced enough and yet simple enough to make them pretty easy to work on.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hey welcome, nice looking SG. Those pulsar coils rarely go bad, just the wires break inside the insulation from constant flexing from the vacuum advance. They can be easily repaired, make sure you check your new/used ones for breaks. Good luck with your new bike.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Welcome aboard the good ship XS 11. Lots of friendly folks ride these bikes in the PNW. Good help on any of these issues is not far away. I hope the shop does right by ya. If they don't, let us know.
        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Greetings Kit,
          Welcome.
          Do a search for pick up coil wires and you will have enough reading to keep you busy for a rainy weekend.
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
            Greetings, everyone. - - - When buying the SG, my original plan was to get something cheap (paid $600 for it) to get back into the swing of things - - - - I'm a little embarrassed to admit I took mine to a local shop to get her back in shape. - - -
            Hi Kit and welcome,
            did you get a fixed price quote when you dropped the bike off at the shop?
            If not, the $600 you paid will most likely seem like pocket change.
            Far better you buy a set of metric wrenches and a Clymer's manual.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have to agree with Fred...

Even when mine was still fairly new, finding competent service techs was a real crapshoot (mine went to the dealer only twice, and they failed to fix it...). Nowadays, the XS has been out of production for nearly thirty years and the bike may be older than the tech, so finding someone who 'knows' these machines is nearly impossible. Two or three hours of shop labor cost will pay for most if not all of the tools you'll need to DIY, and there's certainly the knowledge base here to get you past the hard parts. For much more than very minor stuff, the repairs costs can exceed the value of the bike...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                I have to agree with Fred...

Even when mine was still fairly new, finding competent service techs was a real crapshoot (mine went to the dealer only twice, and they failed to fix it...). Nowadays, the XS has been out of production for nearly thirty years and the bike may be older than the tech, so finding someone who 'knows' these machines is nearly impossible. Two or three hours of shop labor cost will pay for most if not all of the tools you'll need to DIY, and there's certainly the knowledge base here to get you past the hard parts. For much more than very minor stuff, the repairs costs can exceed the value of the bike...
                Shop rates here are $90 an hour.Took my bike there when i first got it cause it wouldn't run. they cleaned the carbs replaced 3 of the needles and changed all the fluids and my bill was $800. won't be doing that again. They didn't even sync the carbs.
                82 XJ1100
                Regina,Saskatchewan,
                Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and for the tips on the coils/wires. The set I picked up on eBay includes a couple of sets of wires, so whichever it is, I should be good to go there.

And yeah, I know what you mean about shop rates. Financially, taking any vehicle to a shop in the past has been a "luxury expense" for me, so I usually work on most issues myself. As it turned out this time around, I had the money, and since I haven't had a bike in so long, I wanted to make sure it got done right in the beginning. The idea being that once it was running smoothly, it would be easier for me to keep it that way myself. The pick-up coils/wires is a good example...I would have had a helluva time figuring out that was an issue on my own without help. And as luck would have it, the guy who is working on it owns an '81 Special (SH, if I understand the pattern correctly?). His dad bought it when it was new, and later passed it to him, so he's very familiar with them.

Having said that though, when I took it in I didn't realize what a wealth of information there was to be had online about these bikes, and I hadn't yet discovered this site. If I had, I would probably have given it a go myself first. One of the links on this site led to a page that has the Clymer manual in .pdf form, so I have that now. Although, I still plan to pick up a physical copy as well, for easier reference in the garage. In the future, I definitely plan to maintain it myself, though I'm fairly certain I'll need to avail myself of the the knowledge and experience of others.
                  XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                  -- Jack Burton

Comment

Welcome sweet liking bike your only obligation is to enjoy it,,, they're a ton of fun, have a blast and if you have any questions. this is the place with the folks with the same addiction.
                    Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
                    XS1100LG Precious current
                    XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
                    KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Awesome Color

Cool looking bike man! Love the purple & the seat - looks awesome!! What a classic! - Dan
                      '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                      1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                      Rebuilt head, valves
                      TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                      Tkat Fork Brace
                      T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                      Dyna Coils & wires
                      Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                      ISO grips with stelleto ends
                      4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                      Bridgestone Spitfires
                      Tuned by Tinman905
                      & a will to keep it.

Comment

Yup, I am absolutely in love with the color. That's what first caught my eye. I hope I'll be able to match it when it comes time to repaint (tank has a couple of scratches, and both side covers need to be replaced). I haven't decided yet, but I'm considering painting the fenders as well when the time comes.

As for the seat, I'm not a big fan of it. I have a replacement on the way, and once it arrives, I will be selling this one.
                        Last edited by Kit; 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM.
                        XS1100SG - Obsession

-- Jack Burton

Comment

why replacing side covers? Those are a tough item to find for these bikes, so if yours are intact, I;d say keep them. Even minor repairs are cheap and easy compared with getting replacements typically.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

The bottom tab on the left side cover is broken off, and a piece has broken off from the right side cover, next to one of the slots on top.

I saw a left cover on ebay last week, but let it be cuz I'm not in a big hurry on those. Maybe I should have grabbed it when I had the chance. Are they all the same between years and models, or did they change them up a bit? If they're different, what others (if any) will fit an SG?
                            XS1100SG - Obsession

-- Jack Burton

Comment

Use the search button at the top of the page to look for 'side cover repair'. This thread will show you how to save some buck$$ by repairing the broken tab on your felt side sidecover rather than buying one.
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                              X