Bike work stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike work stand

I am going to build the sweetest work stand for my bike... too many back aches working on the floor...

It will include a bearing swivel, so I don't have to move to get to the other side of the bike, A work area under neath for tools, rubber on the brackets so I don't scratch the frame, and anything else I decide from seeing the drawings come to life, and from your suggestions... Will scan drawings and post them soon!
    There are only two types of bikers...
    those that have layed it down, and
    those that have not layed it down...YET!

1982 XJ1100J Maxim (F-Bomb)
    Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

And please feel free to tell me I'm dumb if you see something that just won't work!

Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

Comment

Best of luck!
      Looking forward to the pics and plans...

Originally posted by Kronk View Post
      And please feel free to tell me I'm dumb if you see something that just won't work!
      lol
      That might have been opening a can of worms...

Have fun with your project
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Sounds like fun! One concern I have is the idea of the "bearing swivel". IMO, it will be MUCH easier to roll a wheeled stool around the shop floor than it would be to provide the momentum needed to "swivel" one of these bikes. Not to menion the fact that it would require a much larger floor area to be clear of debris when "swiveling".

I would concentrate on making it a secure platform that could be raised and lowered easily and controlably, and make it easy to get the bike on and off of it by yourself.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Well I was up till 3 am getting the drawings done... then my scanner broke... Had to use the one at work, but it e-mails you the pics in PDF, so I am almost to the point of hetting the drawings on Photo bucket, and on here

Comment

I am quite intrigued to see this and am very interested.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ok, so here it is:

The Concept

The Guts

The Bearing Construction

The Bearing Assembaly

Comment

NOTE: When It says ''actual size'' The squares are 1'' by 1''

Comment

Now, don't get me wrong....

It's a nice project and you've obviously put some thought into it.

Now, let me put some in, as well.

The swivel is a bad idea for several reasons. Ok, let's not say bad. Uhm... maybe just impractical.
                  You want a swivel so that you can spin the bike and not have to walk around to the other side. Regardless of which direction you spin the bike, you'll still have to walk around the box platform it's mounted upon. As that's the same dimensions of the bike, what have you gained?

Secondly, you'll be balancing a 500 lb machine on one pivot point. Sure, it can be done, but... that's a lot of stress; not just the weight straight downward, but care must be taken that the bike isn't mounted "front heavy' or "rear heavy" on the bracket.

Also... the bike will need to be strapped down so that it doesn't lean or tip off at one end. Strapping it to the bracket won't cut it. Needs to be strapped to the box frame. (and then... it can't be swivelled, so that again defeats that.
                  Also, if'in it was just balanced on the swivel mount... caution must be observed, as when taking off the front tire. The loss of weight on the front end will cause the bike to tip rearward and fall off the mount. I've even seen this happen on regular motorcycle lifts when someone puts a jack under the center of the frame, which is similar to what you propose.

What you haven't addressed yet, at least to us, is how you intend to get the bike up on the box frame. I can imagine you plan to build it maybe 2 1/2 or three feet high.
                  "I'll use a ramp... just like putting a bike in the back of a pick-up truck."
                  Yes, fine concept, except... there's someone in the bed of the truck to help steady it and pull it in. There is no room on the box for someone to stand (at the same level as the bike) to assist in the effort. Dangerous.

I'll agree that it's nice, and gives a great sense of achievement, to build something to make your work easier, but sometimes... well... it's often better to spend the money for a safer, more practical and time tested design.

The lift bench you propose, when not in use, will still take up the space of a bike in your garage. A regular bike lift, when not in use or used as a table can be lowered, flipped up on it's side and leaned against a wall, where it'll only take up maybe 8 inches of floor space.

Regular lifts can be also used for many different purposes. I've used mine to lift up and move a hot tub out of my sunken patio.
                  At a rally at DennyZ's several years ago, I used my lift to load a broken Goldwing and an XS into a UHaul for a trip back to Canada.

You may want to reconsider your "lift needs" and what would be more practical for you in the long run.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I was concerned about the bike falling, but I decided on (after the drawings) a C-type clamp that could latch over the frame rail be held in with pins with the inside lined with old cut up hockey pucks to prevent scratching. I was also concerned with getting the bike on with a ramp.. I will fabricate a mach set up, and see how low I could put the box. I am shooting for a foot and a half...

This might also be a semi permanent parking spot for the bike... My truck is too tall for the garage, so I don't use it for parking, and I told SWMBO that if it turns into a storage, I am turning the deadbolt around, and taking her keys so I can lock her out...lol...(and then the fight started) My garage is a single wide, and my driveway is steep, and gravel, and I don't want to be backing down, or (trying) to back up it. The garage width is just enough for about a foot clearance on one end of the bike when it is parked across it, and trying to turn it around like Austin Powers gets that little car in the hallway turned around (an 89 million point turn) gets really old in a hurry, and even if U just used it to turn the bike around, and had another system for stabilization, this could be a good Idea. This Is a solution for what I have to work with...

I am getting all the metal from scrap from a welding shop. Through my old high school shop, I have unlimited access to a lathe, a computer lathe, and program, milling machines, and welders, so maybe I'll mach something up, and see what Kind of spacing requirements I have, and maybe see about some solution to the loading, and off loading...

But thanks for the constructive criticism, I would have just gone and built it without it, and would have ended up pinned under a 900 lb bike... And I have a theory in life to never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the EMR / Paramedics., so this may have saved my some embarrasmnt!

Comment

Very creative and thought out! Kudos on the enginuity!

I do have to agree with Prom that you want to look carfully at how your supporting the shaft that the pivoting mount is connected to as well. From the diagram, it raises and lowers from "the box". the bike and its moving weight, even when clamped to the pivoting mount, will be creating moving forces on that shaft and its contact points that keep it veritcal. Think of holding a piece of pipe in your hand, one end on the ground and your bike rotating on the other end. Even pulling and tugging to get that front tire off, or to remove that stuck valve cover bolt creates ALOT of force on those mounting points of that shaft.Your going to want a sleeve bearing there capable of ALOT of force and the movment or it will undoubtly become a weebles wobble point in short order.

As much as I love hearing those EMS stories, you may want to look into pouring a small pad to the side of the drive you can back and turn the bike into out of the garage so you then pull out of it down the driveway. May be alot easier and perhaps safer.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Why not just add some heavy duty spinning wheels to one of the type of lifts pictured. The you could spin, have easy bike-on and bike-off, would be as stable as you wanted, and with the big metal deck, you could add different options for holding it without wheels on. Just seems like the most simple and practical solution.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Kronk View Post
                          Ok, so here it is: - - -
                          Hi Kronk,
                          NOT what I'd do, that sucker will fall off or fall over for sure once the bike is on it.
                          BTW, not to brag but I have 43 years experience as a machine designer so trust me in this, your design is not practicable and I'd hate to hear that the local fire department had to come and lift the bike off you.
                          What I'd do?
                          Buy or build a full length lift table like the one in Prom's photo.
                          Weld cross-members to each end of it's base so it looks like a giant letter H.
                          Add a fixed caster to each end of the H arranged so that the whole thing will roll in a circle.
                          Put a locking jack at each corner so it'll only turn when you want it to.
                          And only turn the thing when it's down, eh?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            - - - Add a fixed caster to each end of the H arranged so that the whole thing will roll in a circle.
                            Hi Again Kronk,
                            thinking it over, use swivel casters instead of fixed ones.
                            That way the whole thing can be moved from one place to another AND be turned in a circle as needed.
                            The rest of my previous post still applies.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bike lift

I would think about using a steel tube instead of the shaft sitting on the turning bearing. Something like a 4 or 6 in in diameter tube. On the top of the box, use a steel plate about 2' square with a short tube welded to the plate. The tube aught to have a inside dia. the same as the outside dia. of the tube that lifts the bike. Also the short tube should be 1/2 above the plate and 1/2 below the plate this will stabilize the lift tube. I would think that the bearing the lift tube sits on should have twice the load capacity that you will put on it, just for safety sake.
                              Ole Jack
                              J.D."Jack" Smith
                              1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                              1978E straight job
                              "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Working...
                              X