Tinkering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinkering

I love to tinker with my bike, and it is a problem. I have found myself replacing parts then later on thinking to myself "was that really necessary? I could have used that money for something else."

like replacing 1st, 2nd, 4th, & 5th gears when the bike was still shifting just fine.

for awhile I kept thinking I needed new exhaust when my stock exhaust is perfect.

lately I've been trying to convince myself that I need new coils even thought the bike runs just fine.

I need to find an old XS that actually needs work done.

.. let me know when you install that new exhaust system...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Tinkering

Hi beechfront I know the feeling,have my WINTER list all made out. Bikes are a Sssiiiccckkknnneeessssss. Love It. bkr

Comment

Hmmm...sounds like me
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

sickness

large Hi beech. Seems like we all have that same ailment .XSsive tinkerus. I'm always doing something to my bike even tho it may not need anything. Always see something i think i can't live with out. My better half says i should seek help.
          when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
          80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Sickness

I am also getting that same thing from the wife. I went to sand and prime everything4 hours later the whole thing was painted and waiting to clear coated.

This really is a addiction LOL
            Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
            79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
            83 Sportster "Lunacy"
            72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

ED

BKR is sick but it got nuttin to do with his XJ LOL. ....MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

sickness

My GF, who loves the wide in her face btw, has already started the "Step away from the tools and moto". presesntly due to being on crutches. But like bkr, I have my winter work list for my XS ready. I even have some of the parts just waiting. Now if I can get off these crutches I can put my new Blaupunkt stereo and Infinity speakers into my van i'll be happy.

Step away from the tools.

Dan

Comment

I found myself going through my storage area looking for the electronic cruise control kit I bought for the XJ a few months ago....frost last night, winter wrenching can't be all that far away...also got a new windshield for the Scout II...been looking at go-fast stuff for my 'new" 1992 Saturn SL2 twincam.....work is hell; anyone have a winning lottery ticket to share?
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I was earnestly describing how little it takes to make me happy, and wound up using the XS as an example. I don't wan't a new bike. What would I do with it when not riding? There is only so many times you can wash it. Would I put go-fast parts on it like so many, perhaps incresing the performance on a bike that is so far beyond most riders... anyways, you get the idea. With a new bike, the most you can hope for is to be a parts jockey. There is an undeniable sense of satisfaction fixing (or fixing up) one's old motorcycle. Over three Saturdays, I went from a boat anchor, to a running motorcycle, to a motorcycle that is actually running pretty well. (It would have been sooner if it wasn't for those K&L carb kits!) It's like owning a Lancia or Alfa, half the fun is keeping them running. It takes nothing more than a checkbook to buy a new bike. I think this group knows the value (and benefits) of sweat equity more than most.
                    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Sorry, that is a typo. I actually do know how to spell "increasing".
                      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

alike obsession

Beech front,
                        I thought I was bad. Ive spent all summer recondiytioning my bike. (79). this bike has never cost me anything except routine maintenance. i always buy the best stuff for it.ive done so much over the years to keep this unit unique.This year ive done coils wires exhaust, tires, up graded some wiring and on top of that Ive had some little running problems that Ive fixed up and my unit runs great.thanks to the site .I love doing this stuff, Frustration and all. I found this site And ive learned so much.im a junkie now.I really thought I was almost alone with an xs 1100.Never saw any around.I live south of Owensound ontario(sticks). I figured that most ended up like the 900 kawies where the guys threw the flat bars and drag pipes on them then just rodded them. Taken alot of flak from my harley buddies for riding a rice bike. Gotta tell you though I gave my pals a ride home while thiers were left in some farmers laneway for the night many times. ive been obsessed with my bike for years. I bought this bike new tuesday july 17 1979. I picked it up at and had it on the road about 3 pm. When the bike is running well ,I auto sol (polish)the casing and have the aluminium shinning like chrome and touch up my frame.evey nook and cranny is spotless. Ive rewired the bike very neatly with my tie wrapps and corresponding coluors.Tune up oil changes, sitting and pondering how to make the bike better. my wife said to me last month "you love that bike more than me' I responded"ya." she shook her head. she did end up for a scoot later. no complaining then.some times I just sit and look at it, Thats a real 70's motorcycle. I love it when I drive by the hang out where all the young crotch rocketeers hang out,( you know the ones that drive with no gloves, leathers and bald back tires),. They look and wonder what the hell is that bike.(been around before you were born son).I drop it a gear and my yammie displays it growl and I dont even have to show off the power. They know its there and my XS postures that theres some thing more un der the tank. some one asks me "Is that a 1995 or 96?" wow what a compliment. just that one moment is worth the obsession of keeping this bike alive, tip top.A shiney dime. these bikes are some thing special and I got one!!.i could obsessively and Xsessively go on and on......Welcome to the club.Darn I have to go to work.
                        Steve

Comment

Re: Tinkering

Originally posted by beechfront
                          I love to tinker with my bike, and it is a problem. I have found myself replacing parts then later on thinking to myself "was that really necessary? I could have used that money for something else."

I need to find an old XS that actually needs work done.
                          It's a shame you don't live near me (or visa versa), I would give you something to work on! (I've got some carb/fuel issues - crap in the jets I think- and I'm reluctant to tear into the carbs)
                          Robert
                          79 SF

Comment

xs nuttere

reading all your replys in the states makes me feel normal,my sister first bought a xs1100e in 1978or 9,one of the first in the uk,i just had to have one.got a 1100e in 1985 had it about 8 weeks.idid not see the old woman step out in front of me.the only thing i could use of the bike was the engine.1 year later she is back on the road nickel plated frame,all the ally on the bike was polished, every thing metal was chrome,then i did not have the bottle to ride her ,so she went.5 years ago i got a 1100f which was from the canadian navy?.still got her.went to DandK motorcycles for a £25 part for my cbx which i still have,and in the showroom was a 1100e 1978 model,found in a crate in spain in 1995 so it was registerd brand new on 1995,still got her,bought an other 1100f which i have rebuilt to original(from the usa) then got a 1999 R1(still got her)and now she (HER IN DOORS)has said any more bikes come into this house then she is leaving.well as it happens i was down at D&k again and they have a 1100e just come in from italy it is in first class condition they said it is a 1982 model and guess what i have bought it,and 2 more which iam going to brake for spares only she is still here,sorry to bore you but thanks for listening,robbie, uk.

Comment

yum

B .f. - Oh my god an 1100 e still in the crate?????? Oh god !!!! oh god!!!!.That very thought is better than any fantasy I could ever muster. I envy you Man. you are sicker than me.
                              Best wishes.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X