Has anyone "re-habbed" a visor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone "re-habbed" a visor?

I tried using my old clear visor on the way to work this AM in the dark. Long before switching it out with my new tinted visor it lost the ability to shed water. I imagine this is due to scratches on the surface. No matter how much wax or RainX I apply it just wont clear of mist/rain (even turning my head at 70mph. My new visor does this wonderfully and this one used to. My question is if anyone has managed to 'repair' a visor in a similar condition. Living on the coast means rain/fog/morning-drizzle pretty much year round. So, this is a big issue for me.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Haven't tried it on visors yet... but this has worked VERY well for me on other applications, including windshields for John's bike...

Micro-mesh
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

That is basically what I was going to suggest. If you try it let us know how it works!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I just replace my visor if it gets scratched... Cheap and easy.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          I just replace my visor if it gets scratched... Cheap and easy.
          Depends on the helmet, some of them are bloody near as dear as a new lid. I have a Nolan and visors are moderate at fifty bucks, but a friend of mine has a Shoei and the visors are over 200.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
            Depends on the helmet, some of them are bloody near as dear as a new lid. I have a Nolan and visors are moderate at fifty bucks, but a friend of mine has a Shoei and the visors are over 200.
            Sheesh! I wouldn' pay that much for a whole helmet!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

A couple of the higher end lids down here... with visor prices

http://www.roadguide.co.nz/products/...r2_helmet.aspx

http://www.motomail.co.nz/eStore/Cat...SHOEI&sortby=0

Refurb is definately an option down here, if workable ...!!??
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Okay... well...

I tried the MicroMesh on a helmet that, of course, landed visor down on the pavement shortly after it was given to me...

It did a great job of getting the scratches out, but there was some problem getting a good blend with the rest of the visor (which could be due to the lack of time I had this morning) so I'll more than likely have to work the entire visor (no big deal really)

I'll finish it up when I have more time... but so far, so good.

Here are some crappy pics before and after

I worked it over a little more with the 12000 after the pic was taken and will go over it with the cream later... that will take out any hazing that might still be there.
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Strange houseguest from a galaxy far, far away.

Ya better do a good job polishing his visor when you're done with yours...

It'd be a shame if he'd say,
                  "You have failed me for the last time, WildKat."

"Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                  X