John Kay And Steppenwolf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Kay And Steppenwolf

Wanna see what( Born To Be Wild) John Kay looks like at 66....

Still on the road just a little bit the last few years...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-9iNVoeghI
    '80 XS1100 SG
    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

john kay in toronto 1965

John grew up in East Germany, fuelled by a steady diet of Armed Forces Radio. Little Richard and Chuck Berry were a couple of his earliest influences. At 14, he and his mother left the country, and moved to Toronto. He learned English by listening to radio disc jockeys and musicfrom the artists of the day. By his mid-teens, he was performing on amateur radio shows. After high school, John roamed North America, performing acoustic blues in coffee houses and bars. He joined The Sparrow while playing Toronto's Yorkville in 1965. The band relocated to San Francisco via New York and became part of the Bay Area music scene, then moved on to L.A. where it broke up in 1967. Shortly after, John formed Steppenwolf and the group's debut was released in 1968. "Born To Be Wild" was on that album and other classic tracks followed, such as "Magic Carpet Ride," "Rock Me," "Monster," "Sookie, Sookie" and "The Pusher." Since 1968, John Kay and the band have released 29 albums, including 1996's live double CD, Live At 25. John Kay and Steppenwolf are still going strong. The band line-up consists of Kay, his long time writing partner keyboardist and co-producer Michael Wilk, drummer/vocalist Ron Hurst and lead guitarist/vocalist Steve Fister. Total album sales are in excess of 20 million units world-wide, and the group continues to tour annually. The last few years have featured some benchmark accomplishments and recognition for Kay. His autobiography, Magic Carpet Ride, was published by Quarry Press in 1994 and in 1996 the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland, Ohio, installed a memorabilia display devoted to the group. Before joining Steppenwolf, German emigre John Kay led Sparrow, a Yorkville Village based act. They had been home to Jack London and were his backing band on several of his Canadian hits. In 1965 they recorded an album with London on Columbia Records before leaving him to pursue their own, only official single "Hard Time With The Law". With John Kay's growing popularity in Yorkville, it was only a matter of time before he connected with the band in May of 1966. They would record several singles and one album as John Kay And Sparrow helping solidify their popularity as a touring act in the US. Less than a year later Sparrow broke up and John Kay, Dennis Edmonton (now known as Mars Bonfire), Jerry Edmonton, Goldy McJohn and Nick St. Nicholas re-emerged as Steppenwolf.
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I saw them play in a bar, in Jacksonville, NC back in 1981. I haven't forgotten. It was great to see them perform in that small venue.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Wild and crazy describes JK's life...legally blind,extreme sensitvity to light..hence the dark glasses and is color blind.He has never ridden a motorcycle..so he says....shows were always good...missed a couple of the regional shows But...Took a few pics from past Wolf Fests......

Last edited by STEPPENWOLF; 09-16-2010, 09:42 PM.
        '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

For those who did not realize it, XS11's Steppenwolf..aka Bill..is the tall blond dude in the middle of that last picture!! If I ever got that close to a real group, there would be FBI agents in pursuit!!
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            For those who did not realize it, XS11's Steppenwolf..aka Bill..is the tall blond dude in the middle of that last picture!! If I ever got that close to a real group, there would be FBI agents in pursuit!!
            Don if that is me who is this..............
            Just mucking with ya ..Gary Link ..the bass player
            '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Steppenwolf was one of the premier rock bands of the late 60's. I have their Greatest Hits album. Good memories there.

Comment

I have to relate what happened when i was in my teens in the 60's. I went hunting with my brothers to To Central Oregon. We stopped at a restaurant in a place called Prineville for breakfast early in the morning. This was a real redneck town at that time. It was about 3 AM, and the locals were a bit hazy. I walked over to the juke box and put on BornTo Be Wild. The looks on everyones face that early in the morning was priceless, even my two brothers. I can't forget turning a redneck towns energy on that early. It was great.
                1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                A quick death and an easy one.
                A pretty girl and an honest one.
                A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I saw them in about 1980 at the Pike drive in near Williamsport. One of the first real shows I went to.....with beer. I don't remember much.
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    If I ever got that close to a real group, there would be FBI agents in pursuit!!
                    You say that as if they aren't already...
                    lol

Cool pics Steppenwolf!
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

I've only seen John Kay and the Sparrow , never Steppenwolf, but a number of times ,they were one of the local bands we used to go and see . along with David Clayton Thomas, Neil young , Robbie Robertson Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee Taj Mahal Lightfoot Ian and Sylvia Joany Mitchell and Tom Cocherane as well as a bunch of others
                      Jim
                      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                      and SOXS
                      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                        I've only seen John Kay and the Sparrow , never Steppenwolf, but a number of times ,they were one of the local bands we used to go and see . along with David Clayton Thomas, Neil young , Robbie Robertson Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee Taj Mahal Lightfoot Ian and Sylvia Joany Mitchell and Tom Cocherane as well as a bunch of others
                        Jim
                        The Sparrow...wow now that is way back when...Do you remember what the show was like?
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adEClI8PTg0
                        If I remember right Neil Young said he based his on stage style after JK...which is a very laid back stage presence..but he did like to swing the mic stand around.Hamjam..looks like you got to see some great acts before they were known,now how cool is that
                        Last edited by STEPPENWOLF; 09-18-2010, 03:25 PM.
                        '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Spooky...

As i'm reading this thread, and writing this post "The Pusher" is playing on the radio....
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

ok .. I'll play it in front of the 'puter
                            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

and SOXS
                            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                              The Sparrow...wow now that is way back when...Do you remember what the show was like?
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adEClI8PTg0
                              If I remember right Neil Young said he based his on stage style after JK...which is a very laid back stage presence..but he did like to swing the mic stand around.Hamjam..looks like you got to see some great acts before they were known,now how cool is that
                              Hi, It was the 60's I am supposed to remember something no "show"
                              it was a regular Sat. night thing they were a bar band then a really good one although The ugly Ducklings were probably more of a favourite of mine they lived close by It was hit the 'village' on the weekends and go watch some bands ,see if you could pick up some licks . this was when these guys were starting out I used to skip school and go to Orillia and watch Lightfoot practice in the park or maybe busking was a better term
                              Jim
                              Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                              Niimi Moozhwaagan

and SOXS
                              2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Working...
                              X