Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

electrical help!!! (on a car, but still, help if you can)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical help!!! (on a car, but still, help if you can)

okay, so here is the deal. i turn the car off, and the electrical and the engine still runs for about 4-6 seconds. which is kind of a long time, actually. any thoughts?
    1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Wow!

Can't say that I've ever heard of that one. What is the year and make of your car. Is the car running smoothly, or is it "dieseling"? I would look around on the internet for a blog site that is geared towards car problems!
    1979 F
    Mac 4-2 Exhaust
    T-Kat Fork Brace
    Spade Fuse Box Mod
    Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    140.0 Main Jets
    45.0 Pilot Jets
    266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Year, make, model?
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

it's my buddies 1971 chevell with a 454 in it. he has helped me out a lot with my car and bike, and was hoping maybe one of you had some insight...

Comment

Sounds like it is dieseling which is a result of too much advance on the timing. back it off a touch and see if that helps.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Sond slike a non-stock setup so is it an MSD ignition system or whose? What is he using for ignition control?
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              Sounds like it is dieseling which is a result of too much advance on the timing. back it off a touch and see if that helps.
              Also could be a lack of an 'anti-dieseling' solenoid on the carb. If he's running a big cam (likely), sometimes you end up with the throttle blades open a bit to get a decent idle and that will allow them to 'run-on' after you shut it off as there is still enough vacuum signal to draw fuel. Turning timing out will help, but may hurt performance.

Sometimes that 'stuff' is there for a reason....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Need more input!!!! Chevelle's came stock with the 454's available that year. I see no where that he has said anything about MSD iggy's or big cams etc. Hard to say what all it could be without more info.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Dieseling sounds like the obvious answer, but unless you had a bad ignition switch, I don't see how it accounts for everything staying on...
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    Need more input!!!! Chevelle's came stock with the 454's available that year. I see no where that he has said anything about MSD iggy's or big cams etc. Hard to say what all it could be without more info.
                    Yep, they did. The LS5 454 was a 365 HP option, and had a pretty lumpy cam too... and had a anti-dieseling solenoid. If it's 'stock', this was the last of the 'real' HP motors.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

i'll pass this info along, and try and get some more info to put on here. you guys rock, by the way. thanks for all the help.

Comment

okay, got some more info. first, thank you all, you guys are the best. second, he did some further testing and here is the problem. the wire that directlyl powers the distributor holds it's charge. which is to say, it has current running through it for a full 5 seconds after you turn the key off. so what could be causing the electrical charge through that wire for so long after the key is turned? he installed a NEW ignition system, so it isn't like a worn connection or anything.

Comment

Hmmmm... it sounds like he's found a real oddball wire to tie to. I would suggest tracing this back; it could be possibly tied to the alternator somehow (does he have the OEM alternator, or a newer 'one wire' unit?), or maybe somehow connected to some sort of courtesy lighting circuit?

Best bet would be to get your hands on a factory wiring diagram and hope somebody hasn't butchered it beyond recognition...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

A long shot here, but maybe a faulty ignition switch taking a moment to break contact, or carbon tracking inside the switch allowing current to flow on...
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Think I may have this, I've seen this one before.
                              If your buddy is running an electric cooling fan for the radiator, then he has it powered directly by an ignition circuit, any electric motor will act as a generator if it is unpowered but still rotating (think wind turbine generators),
                              as it is spinning down, it is acting as a generator and backfeeding the ignition circuits keeping the engine running.
                              Just a guess, as you have not mentioned a fan, but if I'm right, unhook the fan and if the symptom goes away, power the fan using a relay instead of direct to the fuse block for a permanent fix
                              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
                              X