Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking a little more fighterish

Hey guys,
    I am just posting some pics to chronicle the path to a full fleged street fighter. I posted the originals of the SuperHawk awhile back, and now the progress. I have been riding this and keeping miles off my 11. There is a significant difference between the two, notably weight. I never used to realize the 11's immense weight like I do now. My 11 weighs in not far over 500#, too, and still feels heavy. Of course the 160 MPH top end and mad wheelie abilities are differences too! In the end though, I am still happy thrashing the roads at 120 plus with my '11 cafe racer!

As the bike stands here, I have changed the headlights, markers, added the Two Bros exhaust (+10hp) jetted accordingly, and tuned the suspension. to come yet includes tail rework, new (or omitted) gauges, paint, and some lighter parts.

oh, and here are a few pics of the XS1100 and XS360 at a local car show a week ago:

Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

So add some weight and put a fork brace on the 11!! The bikes look nice, though! ( all three of them!)
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

LOl! Actually, I am finding lighter is better, no matter how XS11ers say different I thought I was doing real good in the weight dept. until I bought this thing.
      I do have to say that I have never had the handling issues that many have complained of on my 11. I find that the wobbles come more from rider input than from forks or shaft drive. If you commit to the corner and ride it, no problem! The immense rake, on the other hand... It is pretty heavy steering in the corners. But the challenges of this old bike make it as fun to ride at 120 as the Super Hawk at 160

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

You ppl in MT have it good with all those open roads to open them up!!!
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

True, good to open up for awhile, but kind of skinny on curves in a lot of places. And, the curves that are here are usually pretty well sanded. A lot fo wildlife concerns, too. But, very few cops

Comment

Hey guys,
            I haven't been around here for awhile as I have been busy on this project. Here is where it is so far:

Paint:

seat:

gauges + lights

And the rolling project as it sits tonight

There has been a whole lot to this to this point, but it is coming along nicely. The pictures don't show it real well, but the frame and seat are fully polished, and the paint is white pearl and silver w/ airbrushed graphics. There is still a lot to go, but I figured I would try and excuse my abscense and at least let you all know what I have been doing!

Comment

WOW. I can't think of much more to say except I love the Cool-Aid Man. It makes me think of Dane Cooks Cool-Aid Man bit.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

did you buy that acewell gauge recently? if so where from? Last I checked they didn't have a us distributor anymore - electrosport quit carrying their stuff several months ago.

I like the custom seat pan, although IMHO the "squareness" of it looks a little off on your streetfighter, but maybe it will come together as you finish things up. Its hard to tell in the pictures are all the LED's red, or are some amber for turn signals?
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

I actually got the Acewell gauge this past fall (sept. I think), but I got it off e-bay. Maybe that was a lucky move! I really like the functions of the gauge, but I am going to remount it lower on the top clamp to lower and clean the profile of the bike in that area.

Dunstall style race seats are just cool. I was thinking about a Thruxton style round back seat, but have always liked the way the rear of the bike just looks fast with the Dunstall seat. I know that it is not everyone's cup of tea (particularly those with bad backs), but I like the raw edge it gives the bike. It looks a lot shinier in the proper light, and I will try to get some pics of that up soon. This particular seat has much cleaner lines in some areas than a more rounded one would, IMO.

The LEDs are arranged like this: All clear when off, so that there is no color to the rear of the bike when it is off. This was on purpose. Then the top row is bright red brakes. The outer two on the RH and LH side are amber turn, and the center three on the bottom are slightly dimmer than the top row for markers (though they don't really look it in the picture).

I HATE blinkers that stick out, so this was the only logical choice

And Vive Le Kool-Aid Man!

Comment

I really like the leds, good work. Where did you get them from? I hope not radio shack as I've had really poor life span with cheap crap they sell on other projects.

I like the seat too - don't get me wrong it looks really nice and I'm sure you've put a lot of hard work into and really in the end its what looks good to you that matters, I just think it clashes with the more rounded appearance of the front half of the bike, kind like square gauges would look strange on an 11 special.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Got a little more work done this weekend. I took some pics outside today to give a little more depth to the project

showing the license light

Anyway, something different. I will keep posting up as it progresses! Thanks for looking & the comments.

Comment

now u need to fab a sleek looking radiator. kinda big and gaudy. other than that looks sick.
                        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                        1980 gs1000g "stock"
                        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

and it looks way better than that grenade rat bike you were calling a fighter over on dot org.

But I knew it would.
                          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Man, some people won't ever let me forget my fights...

I have come to understand that the "fighter" or "cafe" style bikes are probably one of the most misunderstood out there. You really have to like what you are making, cause it seems few other people will.

My goals with this one is actually understated simplicity. I want to keep it really low key. I have never really been a fan of brass knuckle, grenade kind of crap on a bike. But hey, to each their own, right?

Lee--I am not sure what to do about the rads. Part of me likes them for what they are (I got a replacement for the damaged one on the LH side), and part of me wishes this thing was air cooled. It is actually pretty tough to put a rad in the front and keep the capacity because there is not a lot of room. I will chew on that part for awhile.

Thanks for your comments & kind words guys! Oh, Elevener--you reminded me that I still need to post this up over there!

Comment

Could you not Fabricate some sort of hood or scoop to hide the rad yet fit in with your look? I sure would like to hear your XS running with that pipe on it one of these days. It sounded knarly when I had it but that bike was not able to idle or rev right. I imagine it sounds good now though!
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X