No announcement yet.

Unbelievable insurance bs!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it seems like something will work you get kicked in the teeth again. I took mine off the road because I couldn't justify payng 628 a year and only managing 1000k a year or 63 cents per k. Now that I have not had insurance for a year if I decide to put it back on the road I will be classified as a new rider even though I have been licensesd for over 20 years.

So if one pays for an appraisal, gets the reduced fee they are limit to 2000 k a year. UnF%$%#@believable.

I doubt I will be riding anytime soon.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Originally posted by egsols View Post
      - - - - Now that I have not had insurance for a year if I decide to put it back on the road I will be classified as a new rider even though I have been licensed for over 20 years.
      So if one pays for an appraisal, gets the reduced fee they are limit to 2000 k a year. UnF%$%#@believable. - - -
      Hi Ernie,
      you gotta move to another Province, that or disconnect your speedo when it reads 1,999 km more than it did last year.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

When it seems like something will work you get kicked in the teeth again. I took mine off the road because I couldn't justify payng 628 a year and only managing 1000k a year or 63 cents per k. Now that I have not had insurance for a year if I decide to put it back on the road I will be classified as a new rider even though I have been licensesd for over 20 years.

So if one pays for an appraisal, gets the reduced fee they are limit to 2000 k a year. UnF%$%#@believable.

I doubt I will be riding anytime soon.
        2000k, I did that in 3 weeks ..

Insurance is organized crime in Ontario, I shopped around this year after dealing with Allstate for 15 or so years .. I couldn't do much better than I am now.

I have everything with them, cars, house, business & shop and of course bikes. Yeah I get discounts for multi-vehicle, clean record etc, licenced 34 years etc..

With 2 bikes insured ( 07 Honda Sabre and my XS SG ) it works out to about $ 500 a bike , basic PLPD per year..

Although the XS is valued at $ 5200 ( no appraisal needed ) on my policy just in case some clown hits me and they have to pay out.

Back in 1980 when I bought a brand new XS11 midnight ( which I owned exactly 7 days from new, before some idiot t-boned me in a pickup truck and wrote the bike off ) the insurance with full coverage was $ 103 per year .. and back then you had a option to take a 6 month policy too .. ( they don't do that anymore )
        Last edited by Bullet; 09-05-2010, 11:31 AM.
        1980 SG - "Blue Balls"

Complete Restoration - Finished June 21/2010

- 1179 kit
        - 80/81 carbs 42.5/115 mains with XS pods
        - Mac 4 into 1 exhaust
        - Venture auto CCT
        - progressive fork springs - no air
        - Mike's progressive rear shocks
        - Galfer S.S. Brake Lines
        - XSDirect - Black Coils
        - 8 mm S.S. Core Plug Wires
        - T.C. fuse box
        - TKat fork brace
        - Geezer regulator
        - Battlax BT45 V-Rated tires
        - 5W40 - Rotella T6 Synth Engine Oil
        - rest of bike is "good old Yamaha"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Hi Ernie,
          you gotta move to another Province, that or disconnect your speedo when it reads 1,999 km more than it did last year.
          Fred,

Its about 1900 k to Winnipeg from my place. Guess if I left I couldn't come back.

Anywho, I had parts of 3 large willows come down at the cottage on Saturday, took all day to clean up plus now I have to pay 3 grand to get the remaining trunks taken down and out. The insurance company told me that they would pay for any damage to the cottage caused by the trees (after paying the deductable) and they would gladly lift any trees off the cottage. However, they only move the tree off the dwellings and drop them on the lawn. The owner is responsible for all clean up and removal.

The beauty of calling them is now they know the trees are suspect and if I don't get rid of them and they do damage the cottage, I'll probably be responsible. I just love insurance
          Ernie

Comment

Fred,

Its about 1900 k to Winnipeg from my place. Guess if I left I couldn't come back.

Anywho, I had parts of 3 large willows come down at the cottage on Saturday, took all day to clean up plus now I have to pay 3 grand to get the remaining trunks taken down and out. The insurance company told me that they would pay for any damage to the cottage caused by the trees (after paying the deductable) and they would gladly lift any trees off the cottage. However, they only move the tree off the dwellings and drop them on the lawn. The owner is responsible for all clean up and removal.

The beauty of calling them is now they know the trees are suspect and if I don't get rid of them and they do damage the cottage, I'll probably be responsible. I just love insurance
            Hi Ernie,
            buy another speedo at a swapmeet. Swap them as needed to keep the perceived mileage down.
            Buy a chainsaw. That ain't $3,000 you pay for tree removal, that's a load of cash you'll make selling the willows for firewood.
            Mebbe enough to pay the bike insurance?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,

Not a bad idea bout the speedo, I've got a spare that doesn't work but the mileage is within 1000k of my good one.....should throw it in the saddle bag and use as needed.

Nobody up there wants willows for firewood, they're only good for outdoor fires at best. If I try to cut them down myself (70' high each) I will surely land them either across the road and on the neighbours cottage or on my side, on my cottage. I would prefer to let someone else take the risk. Unfortunately my reluctance will take 3 g's out of my pocket.
              Ernie

Comment

I'm off today so i will try to get the legal issues with this bike sorted out so that the bike is at least in my name. I have however, decided not to insure the bike at this time. As badly as I want to run this bike I can not justify paying out 5 to 600 dollars to get perhaps 4 weeks of pleasurable use. My restored 79 bike is insured until mid Oct. so I can finish the season with her. I will buy insurance for the modified bike in the new year.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hi Rob. Not to beat a dead horse, but which company did you decide to go with? I am getting reamed for $1000/yr for basic insurance on my Bandit 12. I was thinking of selling it and insuring my GS1100 and XS650 as vintage bikes, thereby getting most of a riding season out of two bikes instead of putting all my eggs in one (expensive) basket. I cannot put into words my disgust with the insurance situation here in Ontario.

Comment

That's crazyness.......you all up north pay as much in one month for one scoot as i pay in 6months, full coverage for 2 tour bikes(Venturer & ST), 2 vehicles(03' Ford Escape/00' F-350 diesel).......and that's with a company that most don't care for, but been with them long enough(25+yrs.) that gives me a written guarentee no increase or cancellation of policy due to claims as long as premiums are paid,(gold member)which is no longer offered. The insurer happens to be StateFarm.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

hi all ! i would like to no more about vintage bike coverage as i ride about 3000,kms per year!what do i need and where to get it ,,i thank you all ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                      The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                      moemcnally@hotmail.com
                      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I took mine off the road because I couldn't justify payng 628 a year and only managing 1000k a year or 63 cents per k. Now that I have not had insurance for a year if I decide to put it back on the road I will be classified as a new rider even though I have been licensesd for over 20 years.
                        THIS IS NOT TRUE AND IS ILLEGAL.

I just contacted the Ontario Insurance Commission. It is ILLEGAL to arbitrarily raise your rates based on a gap in insurance coverage that is not the result of a criminal conviction, a moving violating or a failure to pay your premiums. The next time you go shopping for insurance, record the conversation, get the guys name, the name of his company, or office, and make sure he clearly states that your rates will be higher because you took time off from riding. If you read through the thread that I list at the end, you will see how the one guy got quoted $3100 a year for coverage just for taking time out to pay on a house. Somebody has to take these bastards to the mat.

Excerpt from Ontario Regulation 664, as amended

Prohibited Risk Classification Elements
                        (Sections 410 to 417 of the Act)

16. (4.4) No element of a risk classification system shall use a lapse in automobile insurance coverage unless,

1. the insured person contravened section 2 of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act during the lapse in coverage; or

2. the lapse of coverage resulted directly or indirectly from,

(i) the termination of a policy of automobile insurance as a result of the insured person's failure to pay the premiums due under the policy,

(ii) the suspension of the insured person's driver's licence as a result of a conviction for an offence related to the use or operation of an automobile, or

(iii) an accident or a conviction for an offence related to the use or operation of an automobile, if the insured person did not inform the insurer of the accident or conviction and the accident or conviction would likely have led to the insured person being charged a higher premium.

Here's what I got back from the OIC:

Thank you for your email. We will respond to your questions in the order that they have been posed:

1. Your interpretation of the regulation is correct; should an insurance company be violating this provision please forward a complaint to our office, along with the supporting documentation.

http://www.ott-motorcycles.ca/index....;topicseen#new

Comment

Originally posted by MacMcMacmac View Post
                          Hi Rob. Not to beat a dead horse, but which company did you decide to go with? I am getting reamed for $1000/yr for basic insurance on my Bandit 12. I was thinking of selling it and insuring my GS1100 and XS650 as vintage bikes, thereby getting most of a riding season out of two bikes instead of putting all my eggs in one (expensive) basket. I cannot put into words my disgust with the insurance situation here in Ontario.
                          I ended up not insuring it last season and I'm not sure if I will insure it this year or not. At this point I am not sure how this season will go. The 79 bike is insured already as part of the package I have with the house so I do have a ride. The more bikes I might insure for use the less each bike would get used so the higher the real cost of insurance will be be for each bike. It starts to look real expensive on paper I'll tell ya.
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

insurance

I'm with progressive and have 3 bikes on the policy, 2 with full coverage one with PLPD and it's just over $30 a month

Comment

Collector insurance

I have my 2 xs's insured with GRUNDY WORLDWIDE.
                              You have to submit several photos of yor bikes as well as mileage. They insure them at YOUR stated value.

Mine are insured at $1500.00 each, for comprehensive, as well as 200,000/500,000 liabilty coverage.

This is antique/collector coverage. You must also affirm that the bikes are stored indoors. Can only ride to "events", shows, repairs, testing, & weekend cruising. Around here there are "events" at least 6 days a week. There's no limit on distance to "event".

This coverage costs me $21.00 per year, per bike. I will add a 3rd this summer.

Good Luck Tom

Just google GRUNDY WORLDWIDE
                              Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                              stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                                I ended up not insuring it last season and I'm not sure if I will insure it this year or not. At this point I am not sure how this season will go. The 79 bike is insured already as part of the package I have with the house so I do have a ride. The more bikes I might insure for use the less each bike would get used so the higher the real cost of insurance will be be for each bike. It starts to look real expensive on paper I'll tell ya.
                                Rob
                                Not the case for me. When I added my buddies KZ, it actually brought my insurance DOWN because it lowered my drivers to vehicles ratio. Of course my next question was "what if I added another bike after that?" Didn't work out the second time around, but man what a great seller that would have been to SWMBO to add more ponies to the stable.
                                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X