PMs ain't all that private.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMs ain't all that private.

No complaint about that but I thought I'd bring it to listers' attention.
    I have had a recent extended PM exchange regarding a part I am sending to a fellow list member.
    OK, I suppose it's always been that way but I only just noticed that each of his PM posts appeared in full in my e-mail for anyone to see that could access my e-mail. Like my wife.
    This don't matter if it's 2 guys dickering over bike parts but if anyone is up to something that they need to keep secret, using this list's (or any other list's) PM system is not the best way to keep it hidden.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

I would generally consider stuff coming to my email address to be private. Not that I have anything in my email to hide from my wife, but I can't think of the last time she looked at my email, or for that matter that I looked as hers.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
      I would generally consider stuff coming to my email address to be private. Not that I have anything in my email to hide from my wife, but I can't think of the last time she looked at my email, or for that matter that I looked as hers.
      Yeah... Same here. We each have different e-mail accounts, and she reads hers, and I read mine. We have the ability to access each others' accounts, but there is really no reason to. Of course, if you wanted to prevent that stuff from getting in your e-mail, you can turn off e-mail notifications in your User CP here on the forum.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Edit your control Panel settings

Hey Fred,

Like Bug said, since you're here often enough, do you really need to be told via EMAIL that you have received a PM!? SO...you can edit your control panel preferences to NOT have the site send you the email notice of a new PM, and then you'll have your HOME privacy back!

T.C.

PS, if you can't find or figure it out, send ME a PM, and I'll be happy to edit it for you!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Or you could have an alternate e-mail account (yahoo, gmail etc.) that you use for this site (or other "questionable" e-mails) that SWMBO does not know about. You could even have all of your large/expensive parts shipped to your work address so that SWMBO does not find out how much you are spending on your scoot. Be sure to have a few cheap ones sent to the house so that she doesn't get suspicious.
          79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
          79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
          79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Originally posted by 65oldsboy View Post
            Or you could have an alternate e-mail account (yahoo, gmail etc.) that you use for this site (or other "questionable" e-mails) that SWMBO does not know about. You could even have all of your large/expensive parts shipped to your work address so that SWMBO does not find out how much you are spending on your scoot. Be sure to have a few cheap ones sent to the house so that she doesn't get suspicious.
            Thats what I do. I have a gmail account that I use for forums such as this, and sites that require some sort of registration to access, and I have a private email address through my provider for personal stuff. Cuts out a lot of spam and phishing that way. I also have large parts, in fact most parts, sent to work but only because theres always someone there to sign for them, not because i dont want the wife finding out. she spends more on her horses than I do on my bike so theres no explaining to be done about how much something costs.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Hey Fred,
              Like Bug said, since you're here often enough, do you really need to be told via EMAIL that you have received a PM!? SO...you can edit your control panel preferences to NOT have the site send you the email notice of a new PM, and then you'll have your HOME privacy back!
              T.C.
              PS, if you can't find or figure it out, send ME a PM, and I'll be happy to edit it for you!
              Hi T.C.,
              if it weren't for the e-mails I wouldn't know when to log in and besides, I have nothing to hide anyway.
              And yeah, I do know the e-mail notifications can be switched off if it's needful.
              It's that it wasn't until I got a whole bunch of e-mailed PMs at one time that I got my nose rubbed in it concerning their not really being private at all.
              And as I'm not the only dull knife in the drawer, I felt that my fellow dullards could use a heads-up.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                she spends more on her horses than I do on my bike so theres no explaining to be done about how much something costs.
                And they don't last neaarly as long
                There are only two types of bikers...
                those that have layed it down, and
                those that have not layed it down...YET!

1982 XJ1100J Maxim (F-Bomb)
                Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

Comment

..thank god...
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                    ..thank god...
                    Too bad you can't breed the XS's though... Would be neat to watch an Eleven "foaling" in the driveway!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      Too bad you can't breed the XS's though... Would be neat to watch an Eleven "foaling" in the driveway!
                      Since I have an 11 and a 400, would their offspring be a 650, a 750 or an 850? I'm guessing either the 7 or 850 since they have the intermediate number of cylinders.

I guess if it were going to happen, it already would have, seeing as they have spent over 1.5 years in very close proximity overnight, pretty much every night.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi T.C.,

And as I'm not the only dull knife in the drawer, I felt that my fellow dullards could use a heads-up.
                        Hi Fred,
                        Of all the things you are DULL is not one of them. I and many others always enjoy your posts.

Your recent trip to Vintage bike show reminded me: New York city is BIG but this is BIGAR Do they still have the sign?
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                        X