Carb Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaner

I have a sideline business in NYC fixing and futzing with old Jap UJM's. I enjoy it, for the most part, because I have been building custom cabinets and furniture for the past 30 years but most of the stuff I build just "stands there" and had all the hazards of an intense craft process, with a price to match, and buyers remorse. Biker customers are different. They just have this huge smile on their faces when a couple of hours of carb work totally transforms their bikes. Yer average cabinet, custom or not, pretty much achieves its terminal velocity (0) as soon as it's built...
    But I stink of Berrymans.
    No amount of scrubbing can get that carbolic acid smell off my skin... One young lady commented that I smelled like "the biggest box of Band-aids in the world..." Not cool. Not sexy.
    SO...

What other carb cleaners are out there?
    Or is there something that works great to scrub the stench?
    The whole " You smell like my Grandad thing..." is gettin' old...

Seriously...

This is a personal Mechanic Hygeine Perception problem...

I need a solution. Or a formula. Or different Girlfriends...

You could try peeling a lemon or orange and if that doesn't work clean a couple of fish!
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Start wearing the appropriate gloves when using the chemicals that are being absorbed by your skin and causing the odor. The odor will go away on its own in due time as your hands shed their skin cells. It's really that simple.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

The lemon peel is where it is at. Smash it as rub it around on your skin. BUT, you really ought to take a peak at the warnings on the sides of the can and obey. Every once in a while is one thing. But if you are going to do it regularly, wear the gloves. Period.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
          - - - if you are going to do it regularly, wear the gloves. Period.
          Hi Proj,
          sound advice, those chemicals don't care what they dissolve.
          Skin, lung tissue, corneas, liver & kidneys, brain cells, they'll get them all.
          So just like riding, ATGATT! Eye protection, breathing mask, & gloves for working with that stuff.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by gareth View Post
            The whole " You smell like my Grandad thing..." is gettin' old...
            Dude, really, it's not the carb cleaner...
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

I boil all but the small parts in lemon juce for about 15 min - then water rinse. Does a hell of a job, doesn't damage the butterfly seals, and is non-toxic. Just don't do it in the house - stinks. I picked this up from the Yamaha Triples group.

I'd still recommend rubber gloves.

Deny
              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

You do really have to watch chemicals... We work with alot of methanol in my line of work, and guys who have been doing this for 40 years are losing their livers now!
                There are only two types of bikers...
                those that have layed it down, and
                those that have not layed it down...YET!

1982 XJ1100J Maxim (F-Bomb)
                Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

Comment

Working...
                X