How to get her home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get her home?

My ride is hard down 100 miles away from home. I'm figuring on getting a full size van from Uhaul in the morning. I may see if I can fit her in my mini van but I don't have a ramp or winch to haul it in. Any other ideas?
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Denver to Tacoma

"Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

ha, thats bad.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

You can always find a ditch or hill to back up to so that you can roll it in the back. thats how I loaded mine in the back of my pickup when I bought her.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
          My ride is hard down 100 miles away from home. I'm figuring on getting a full size van from Uhaul in the morning. I may see if I can fit her in my mini van but I don't have a ramp or winch to haul it in. Any other ideas?
          Don't the U-Hauls have ramps in the tail gate for moving? They do up here.
          If in a pickup truck just get a few 2 x 8 X 10 and tie them together with 2 X 2 and make a ramp.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Prometheus578, can I borrow your car.
            Darrell
            78E
            80G project
            06FJR

Comment

I'll try the 5x7 Uhaul utility trailers. Much bigger than the trailer I used to tow it across country behind a VW beetle with a stuck valve back in 79. Would only do 10mph going over the Eisenhower Pass.
              Darrell
              78E
              80G project
              06FJR

Comment

the van will work

Hi, the van will work, I have used a Toyota Previa to pick up many a bike. Just measure the height with the handle bars loosened and dropped down, as they are the highest point, remove the mirrors, get a 2x10x10, place it on the bumper and roll the bike in. Use two guys, one in the front to steer the bike in and one to push. After loading strap down the bike from both sides, front and back with tie downs to keep it from tilting and going through the front or back when starting or braking. A trailer is also easy but more expense if you need to rent both. If renting just one, use the trailer as it might be cheaper, just remember to use tiedowns, which are better than rope. Good luck............enjoy the project..................Mike in San Diego
                mike
                1982 xj1100 maxim
                1981 venture bagger
                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                1959 wife

Comment

never mind. i saw the other thread
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Went with the 5x7 Uhaul. $14.95. Had to pu a ball hitch, electrical adapter and some ratchet straps and had some 2x6s for a short ramp. Worked like a champ.

Now to figure out the fix.
                    Darrell
                    78E
                    80G project
                    06FJR

Comment

hauled home

Glad to hear you got bike home ok. $15 seems cheap enough.

Goold luck wrenching. Looking for report.
                      It is a great big beautiful world out there
                      Brent in GA
                      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                      X