A question for the painters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the painters

I am looking into using the 2 part urethane paints form my bike and was wondering if I need to/have to use a special primer.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

It depends....

If you talk to the paint manufacturers, they'll tell you 'for sure; it has to match their paint formulation', but that's not always true. I've used rattle-can primer (and know others who have too) with no issues, but you do need to be a bit careful with brands. I've had good luck with Rustoleum's 'Painters Choice' primer, just follow the can directions and make sure it's thoroughly cured before spraying top coat. This is the only inexpensive primer I've found that will prevent rust if not painted fairly quickly, as it doesn't appear to be porous like many primers. I've used this with 2-part paint, but probably wouldn't try lacquer over it.

Are you painting over original paint and using the same or similar color? If so, I'd say no primer is needed as long as there's no bare metal, just scuff it up good. If you're doing a major color change, you may need a primer/sealer, particularly if spraying non-red over red; dent/chip repair will need some primer. Also, primer color can affect the finish color too, so keep that in mind; dark color/dark primer, light color, etc. If you have a suspect re-done paint job, sanding most of it off or at least back to original paint may be needed.

The thicker the paint, the easier it will chip, so I've learned not to get carried away. And I've found that 90+% of paint problems can usually be traced to lack of cleanliness, so avoid touching any to-be-painted surfaces with your bare hands, or wash them with hot soapy water if you do.

I'm not a pro, but this is what's worked for me...

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

When I was an sandblaster/aircraft painter as an Air Force civilian, I always used epoxy polyamide etching primer before painting with 2-part poly paint. That was some mean stuff and you need to use a breathing air supply when you use it.
      Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
      Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

I have a stock silver (whatever that color was called) Standard tank that will need some small dent repair. As if there was another color , it will be black. I just looked up at the web site banner and the tank looks like the one in the upper right corner. Not to the point of actually executing anything, but am finally getting closer.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
          ...As if there was another color , it will be black...
          For that, I'd do the repairs, shoot some gray primer over 'em, wet-sand the whole tank, then shoot it. Black will cover everything...

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I am no painter but I do stay at Holiday Inn Express.

I have painted a few things here and there and I have put Urethane over just about any primer. As long as you are not shooting something hot, like Laquer, most primers will take it. But, the primer is one of the most important parts so do not skimp here. It is what holds the finish onto the base metal. If you are going through the expense of shooting a two part finish then I would stick with the manufacturer's recommended primer.

With any paint job, surface prep is paramount and especially when shooting black. Any imperfection, no matter how small will glare out at you. Here is what I usually do. Fill in your dents and then apply some filler glaze (its like primer but you apply it with a squeegie like Bondo) and sand it smooth and to shape. Then shoot some cheap primer and sand again. The imperfections will show in the cheap primer. Fix them and repeat until perfect. Then do a final sanding and clean the parts with some brand of PrepSol to remove all traces of silicones and oils. Apply your primer and color and then some clear following the manufacturer's instructions. With two part coatings there might be some re-coat windows so be cognizant of this if you are going to apply multiple coats.

BTW, my tank is the black one in the top banner, right next to the one on the right. Its a laquer finish.

Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

2 part urethane

primer ordered with paint
              On a scale of 1 to 10 this came out maybe a seven
              There is a spot or two of very light orange peel which I was going to buff out
              but ... then I would probably want to clear coat

mro

Comment

looks good and shiny.
                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

To do it right you will need primer, and primer sealer. The self etching primers work the best. Talk to you local paint shop, they will be able to help you a lot here. You do not have to use anyone's system all the way through, and mixing and matching to get the best quality is done all the time.
                  Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

+1 on the self etching primers. Helps the paint adhere better, which prevents blistering caused by accidental gas spills...

Something else to consider... I recently painted a 2 part paint system on a Uni-Go MC trailer. One thing I asked the guy at the paint supply store was if I needed any fish eye eliminator additive. He said no.

Boy, I wish I hadn't listened to him!

So, ya might think of adding a small amount to the basecoat.

Also... it's so easy to apply too much clearcoat too fast! Ohhh, it looks so shiny and perfect.... right before disaster sets in, if you go to fast!

Watch for the flash between coats... and take plenty of time.

If ya take it easy, and do really good prep, and thoroughly clean the surfaces from oil, fingerprints, WD-40... all the painter's usual enemies...

Watch for XSive overspray dust... wet the floor down before ya spray...

It'll turn out nice.

Patience is the key. Not one of my natural tendencies... but I've learned to lean to the overcautious side anytime I'm painting now.

Heck... those supplies aren't cheap! And it's a lotta work sanding mistakes...

Post some pics, when you get it done, so we can see how it turns out!
                    Good luck.
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post

... wet the floor down before ya spray...

Good luck.
                      That reminds me of when the little japanese cleaning lady was sweeping everthing in the hallway in front of the vents in my paintbooths doors.
                      When I asked why she was doing it, she said "It goes away, just like Magic!"

I had to repaint a few F15 rudders because of that.

Comment

Does anyone know if "SprayMax X2" clear coat is avalable in Canada?
                        Rob
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-ra...t-aerosol.html

here's one for aluminum

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-diamond-c...ero-11-oz.html

I don't know if they ship to canada.

Comment

Originally posted by barberad View Post
                            That reminds me of when the little japanese cleaning lady was sweeping everthing in the hallway in front of the vents in my paintbooths doors.
                            When I asked why she was doing it, she said "It goes away, just like Magic!"

I had to repaint a few F15 rudders because of that.
                            Dang that's too funny!

Deny
                            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
                            X