Drag Racing Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Racing Eleven

Well I have a good time but, I was slightly disappointed with the whole thing. Yesterday, I went to a low key drag race in Butler NY, 1/8 mile strip. It was hosted by the Iron Horse MC club. It was a low key event and if you lost your race you were out of the heat. I only got to run the strip two time, first time was for "time trials" and they didnt even have a clock. Also, I was at a big disadvantage in my class because it was "Foreign Modified/1000cc & Up". In my class were two v-max, a Suzuki V-King, Kawasaki ZX-14, '87 Yamaha FZR, a early gen Honda 900RR, my XS11 F, and another guy on his '81 XS11 Special. So... I raced the other XS for my time trial and won but, he got really lose on take off an almost dumped it. He got out of his lane and into the grass and had to put a foot down. He wrenched his knee and was out before we even started. The attached video (sorry for the crappy res...pisses me off) shows the other XS on take off getting into the dirt, you can even hear the anouncer say "whoa whoa whoa!". Once it was time to race I was up against the FZR... as you can imagine, that went down like a loud raunchy fart in church... He had me by about 3 lengths at the finish...

The guy on the Kawasaki ZX-14 and I were talkin and he was kicking him self for not bringing his XS11. He said he would bring it next year, and another guy I was talkin with had one too. Im going to try to get some other central NY XS members to show up next year and maybe we can have a mini XS rally/drag get2gether thing. I will put the pressure on my Dad to bring his, that will add one more XS to the race... I will make a posting next year to let everyone know ahead'a time who's interested. It would be nice to get 5 or 6 XS11's together to go and race...maybe they will let us have out own class! 900cc and up, pre 1985.

Click Vid...

FZR that beat me...
    Last edited by WMarshy; 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

That looks like it was fun and three lengths isn't bad against a newer bike.

The cheese-slicer barbwire fence running the length of the drag strip... not so much.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      That looks like it was fun and three lengths isn't bad against a newer bike...
      Yep, not a bad showing considering your competition. So... who won the class?

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        Yep, not a bad showing considering your competition. So... who won the class?

'78E original owner
        I dont recall, I had a lot of time on my hands before it was all over. They were also running "for the money" races from the previous classes scattered in the same heat as mine and I lost interest. They wernt communicating the best either, my mother just happen to get me with the camera on accident which I have to share with you... Apparently there is a 1/4 mile track in Cicero NY. I might go this weekend and run some timed laps. Anyone in the Syracuse NY area that wants to meet and race? www.estadrags.com All you need is the money to enter and a teather switch...
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I think I'd drive up for that.
          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
          79 DT 100

Comment

Well, I wont be attending the drags in Cicero this weekend. In addition to saving for a house, I have made plans sunday to go look at some. Also, my clutch is slipping over 7000 RPM. I need to get some new HD springs. Not sure if I can justify new springs and possibly new friction plates, the $50 to race, and a teather kill switch. I would like to do the ALTO mod if Im opening up the clutch again...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

Comment

Slipping clutch

You could get some special washers from McMaster.com (98089A389) which are 12x18x1mm. Put a couple under each spring and the clutch will stop slipping. A bag of 25 are less than $7.00
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                You could get some special washers from McMaster.com (98089A389) which are 12x18x1mm. Put a couple under each spring and the clutch will stop slipping. A bag of 25 are less than $7.00
                What about standard washers? He has both a special and a standard?
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Funny

I guess you're trying to be funny, huh? The ID and OD are just right to fit under the spring and each is 1mm thick. Makes perfect spacers. If you look, I think you will find them in that F model you got from me.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Get a guide on how to run bracket races.

It will make the thing a lot more fun.

Bracket racing is designed to match mismatched vehicles to make it competitive.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Thanks for the washer tip but, I already knew about it... Im not suprized they are slipping, I removed washers from under the springs when I changed the friction plates last year. I never put them back in because they were split lock washers! The replacement springs I bought from JCW were the incorrect ones so I decided to reuse the stock ones minus the washers. Things are tight but if Im going throught the trouble of taking everything apart to shim the springs Im just going to bite the $20 bullet and get some HD springs from Barnett or Versa. The frictions should have good life left in them for the time being. It only seems to slip if I get on it hard when the bike isnt warmed up fully.

Im not sure if that place in Cicero NY does bracket racing, I do know that they give head starts to the slower guys to make the race fair...
                      Last edited by WMarshy; 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
                      X