Take a moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a moment

to reflect on what we celebrate on the 4th of July. This is a celebration of freedom and honoring the people who fought and died assuring us of this freedom. The freedoms are summed up in our Bill of Rights. The "Rights" in our Constitution were given to us by the blood and sacrifice of our forefathers.

We do not wholly own these "Rights" as such as we do not have the right to throw them away. These "Rights" were given to all the American people- past, present, and future. We were not given the right to destroy these "Rights" for the future generations.

Wherever tyranny raises its ugly head we must chase it back to the He!! from which it came. Constant vigilance to maintaining our "Rights" is necessary as man's insidious greed for power over his fellow man is omnipresent. If we do not guard the fort from all attacks (within and without) then freedom will cease and we will have become the scum of mankind. You will then be a part of the vilest generation to ever to exist on earth as we will have sold out ALL future generations.

Freedom is not FREE!
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

#1 on that brother.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

jmnjrpa,

I totally agree but with one exception. Our rights are Inalienable (natural) rights and are the rights of all people by birth.

You are right. We owe everything to those people who have fought and those who are fighting now. We can't do enought to repay their sacrifices except for fighting to protect those ideals.

Our forefathers risked everything to ensure and protect those rights for all future generations of Americans.

Think for a moment if today would we be willing to risk everything we own, our property and families to create the documents that our founders produced?

Sure makes a person think about their sacrifice.

Thank you to everyone who has served and to those who supported those who have.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Not quite

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
        This is a celebration of freedom and honoring the people who fought and died assuring us of this freedom.!
        The 4th is a celebration of the declaration of independence from England, not for honoring the people who fought and died for it. (Although we certainly do owe them a debt of gratitude and should remember them often.) Don't get me wrong, I'm not for forgeting them just that I wanted to correct your history lesson mistake. There are other days for remembering the soldiers like Memorial Day, Armed services day, Veterans day etc.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Sorry,

I disagree. The entire reason for the Declaration of Independence was to break from the tyranny of England. The sense of righteousness was so deeply ingrained in our forefathers that the Bill of Rights was penned. And on further note I'll bet you never think about the ones who gave their lives for our freedom from England on Memorial Day even though it should be a given.

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 31 in 2010). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service.[1] First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War – it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars
          During the American Revolution, the legal separation of the Thirteen Colonies from Great Britain occurred on July 2, 1776, when the Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence that had been proposed in June by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia.[4][5] After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision, which had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author. Congress debated and revised the Declaration, finally approving it on July 4. A day earlier, John Adams had written to his wife Abigail:

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.[6]
          Adams's prediction was off by two days. From the outset, Americans celebrated independence on July 4, the date shown on the much-publicized Declaration of Independence, rather than on July 2, the date the resolution of independence was approved in a closed session of Congress.[7]

Historians have long disputed whether Congress actually signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, even though Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Benjamin Franklin all later wrote that they had signed it on that day. Most historians have concluded that the Declaration was signed nearly a month after its adoption, on August 2, 1776, and not on July 4 as is commonly believed.

As such, anyone can observe the Forth as a celebration of Independence but we must never forget how and why we are able to celebrate.
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

And here I thought I left the preachin' at church yesterday morning. I know I got my weeks worth in then.

When your done with it, I think the church would like their pulpit back!!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Hmmmmmm

Yeah, you're right. Patriotism is one of my bad points. Sorry to disturb your nap, you can go back to sleep now.
              Original except:

Big John

Comment

Patriotism? is that what your calling it now.

to reflect on what we celebrate on the 4th of July. This is a celebration of freedom and honoring the people who fought and died assuring us of this freedom. The freedoms are summed up in our Bill of Rights. The "Rights" in our Constitution were given to us by the blood and sacrifice of our forefathers.
                The above can constitute patriotism although inaccurate, as pointed out already, see below.

The rest of this BS is nothing but accusation and bashing of your fellow countymen and women for apparently not doing what you think we/they aught to be doing about the good Lord only knows what. Sounds like some political stump speech to me, next thing we know you will have taken the initiative to invent the internet.

We do not wholly own these "Rights" as such as we do not have the right to throw them away. These "Rights" were given to all the American people- past, present, and future. We were not given the right to destroy these "Rights" for the future generations.

Wherever tyranny raises its ugly head we must chase it back to the He!! from which it came. Constant vigilance to maintaining our "Rights" is necessary as man's insidious greed for power over his fellow man is omnipresent. If we do not guard the fort from all attacks (within and without) then freedom will cease and we will have become the scum of mankind. You will then be a part of the vilest generation to ever to exist on earth as we will have sold out ALL future generations.

Freedom is not FREE!
                Quite honestly, I find it offensive that you think you are qualified to preech to me or our other members about what I/we have or haven't or should or should not do to, for, or about this country. And quite honestly, If I decide to vote away half the rights written into the first constitutional amendment, known as"The Bill of Rights" or any other "Right" it IS my right to do so, and if enough citizens agree and vote that way they can and will pass an amendment to the constitution and they are gone. This subtle little thing we call Democracy you see. And funny thing that pesky little stubborn thing freedom can be, it will still exist, just in a different manner than it does today, or at least with different constraints. Just as freedom existed before July 4th 1776, just with different constraints. And after every other amendment to the constitution since then. Just like it exist in most other countries in the world, just with different constraints. And I guess because we did not do what YOU preech about and seem to have wanted done, it will make us all Vile and scum. Hmmm sounds like you enjoy tyranny as long as you get to make the rules does it not.

Ohhh...and Planedick was right, the Independance Day holiday commonly referred to as the 4th of July, commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776. So said the Congress when it declared it a federal legal holiday, in 1870. Not for honoring those who served and died in wars, even the war of independence, no matter how you may disagree or choose to twist and write more crap to try to tie the two things together. But of course since he was right instead of owning up you had an accusation to go with that also....

And on further note I'll bet you never think about the ones who gave their lives for our freedom from England on Memorial Day even though it should be a given.
                Just more factless acusations, to deflect the attention from the truth.

So the next time you feel the urge to get up on your soap box or stand before a pulpit and preech and make unfounded acusations, go to your local park, or the local morgue where you have a better chance of not offending people with your SELF righteous BS.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Ok,

I read it before it was deleted. I would not have responded anyway. Can't understand why the rest was deleted including the information from Wikipedia that supported my opinion? Would have asked the mod in a PM but don't know who that is? Just curious.
                  Original except:

Big John

Comment

I read it before it was deleted. I would not have responded anyway. Can't understand why the rest was deleted including the information from Wikipedia that supported my opinion? Would have asked the mod in a PM but don't know who that is? Just curious.
                    I'm not completely sure mind you, but it may be been because the conversation was getting too heated. We need to keep things civil and on a friendly level, and it seemed this one was headed in the direction of not being either one.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

That's

what's so confusing. The thread was completely civil with one exception from one member. I just figgered he had a bad day and I simply would not have responded. Quite a bit was deleted and that was what I was curious about.

So was this a case of cutting us off at the pass? Kinda hard to predict the future but if someone here can the trip to Vegas is on me!
                      Last edited by jmnjrpa; 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM.
                      Original except:

Big John

Comment

Working...
                      X