Dog keeps getting into Poison Ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog keeps getting into Poison Ivy

Is there something in Poison ivy a dog would like? My dog (pitbull) keeps getting into it and chewing the vines, which wouldnt be a problem except I have and continue getting it from the dog!!! I dont want to spray it with weed killer either if she keeps getting into it. By the way anyone know of a good cure for poison ivy?
    '79 XS 1100F

Originally posted by perurider View Post
    Is there something in Poison ivy a dog would like? My dog (pitbull) keeps getting into it and chewing the vines, which wouldnt be a problem except I have and continue getting it from the dog!!! I dont want to spray it with weed killer either if she keeps getting into it. By the way anyone know of a good cure for poison ivy?
    Hi rider,
    don't that stuff bother the dog? Find out why not and bottle it to make a fortune.
    To get rid of the poison ivy plants keep the dog inside while you take a flamethrower to them.
    Or seriously, there are short-lived weedkillers that do their work and then decompose so the dear little doggie only has to stay inside for a while.
    Calomine lotion eases the irritation but it's only a palliative.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I agree.. Use the heavy duty weed killer that is only active until it dries. Once it's in the plant, it won't hurt the dog. I've never had poison ivy, but if it was in my yard, I'd do anything and everything to get rid of it FAST!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Poison Ivy and poison Oak..weird stuff.

I've had to work in it with people who can't seem to even get close to it without a reaction...myself...well I'm in the lucky 15% who do not have any reaction to it at all. I can handle it with no ill effects whatsoever.

This has it's drawbacks too though, because I don't pay attention to it, people around me who have reactions tend to follow me into trouble spots I had no intention of getting them into.
        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

As you may know, its the oils of the ivy that cause the reaction. Sooner you wash the oil off, the less effect or reaction you will have.

As others have suggested, I'd get out the brush-b-gone and have at it. Keep poochie in the confines of view and house until it dries on the foilage and it should not hurt mutbo.

And while your at it...feed the dang thing so he quits eating the ivy!!
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Roundup works pretty well on ivy. Use a nonionic surfactant in the tank when you spray. Roundup is bottled with it's own surfactant or at least it was a few years ago. A surfactant helps to penetrate the waxy coating on plant leaves.

Don't cut the ivy back and then spray. Weed under stress are not as affected by pesticide as healty plants. Many times not affected at all.

Like all sprays wear protective clothing and protective glasses. Don't let the spray get into your eyes. Don't spay if there is any breeze above a 5mph. I don't know what else is around but be careful of spray drift.

Once the roundup is dry on the plant contact is ok. I don't know if your dog is chewing the ivy or just rolling in the stuff. If you can keep the dog away from the ivy for 24 hours, at that point you could just hose off the ivy. Monsanto used to say 7 hours. The pesticide will be in the plant.

Good luck.

You might want to check with your local county ag advisor too. They might have some good suggestions.
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

He, He

That reminds me. I smoke cigars and have a 40+LB bronze ashtray I built years ago so people would not run off with it. I disappeared one day so I got out my backup ashtray and took it out back where there was a good crop of poison ivy. I rubbed it down real good and brought it back in. It disappeared the next day along with one of the day crew pranksters. The prankster was off work for a week and when he did show up he was walking spraddle legged. Told him "BAD things happen to people that screw with me". He said they were hidden in the restroom. Seems he snatched the ashtray and since he was already there, he relieved himself. LMAO

Small titanium ashtray on left is 1.25" thick x 6" across

Yeah Guy,
              I think I can eat the stuff with no reaction but my eldest daughter can't get within 100 foot of it? WTF???
              Last edited by jmnjrpa; 07-04-2010, 08:31 AM.
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

a good crop of poison ivy. I rubbed it down real good

MAN, I LOVE THAT!

I have a certain problem like that in my neighborhood right now. Since I am not alergic to poison oak I think I have just decided on a course of action to find the culprit.

And right now the poison oak is nice and healthy!
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I used to be one of the lucky ones who was not affected, but that finally changed two years ago. I got it, and then got it again before it healed. I learned that it is much worse getting it a second time before it heals. I know that it sounds crazy, but I found a great way to deal with it. Take a hair dryer on high/high heat and "blow dry" the infected areas. It has two great effects. One it feels like you are scratching it It also releases the histamines, and you get about 8 hours of relief from the itching!
                  Dave
                  1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

The problems is

Like with any other allergic reaction, the more times you get it the worse the reaction gets. I used to get it a lot as a kid and the last time I had it it ended up covering almost 1/4 of my body. It was not a fun time I even managed to get it on my face one time, that was probably the worst time there.

I agree with the others, use the roundup and kill it, then you have to burn it!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Warning!!!

Do not burn it! I had a buddy do this and it put him in the hospital for 4 weeks! The smoke spread down the neighborhood and caused a rush on the local clinic with several people going to the hospital.
                      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                      Original except:
                      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Zanafel

My father and I played at being mountain men several times a year.
                        Some of the places we went in Alaska and the Sierras were remote enough that any help you did not provide yourself was days away at best.

Neither of us were affected by poison ivy/oak or sumac, but I'd read about how that can change without notice so I added Zanafel to our med kit. Can not vouch for it's effectiveness but it sounds like the best thing available to treat exposure.

mro

Comment

ok just FYI, burts bees poison ivy soap doesnt work(at least for me), of course pink stuff NOT either. Bleach does. though it burns, prolly not good when absorbed through skin either. I found stuff on net called 4 winds or something like that oriental writing on label, jewelweed soap, works well.\will have it always on hand. though next time I will go straight to DR. pay him (well I am sure) and get a shot of steroids, rather than chase it all over places on my body, some of which i will NOT discuss.
                          '79 XS 1100F

Comment

Oral Benedryl??

Oh...and thank you for NOT discussing.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                              Do not burn it!
                              +1 FOR THAT!!!

Years ago, my grandma's neighbor decided to burn it. The oils get caught up in the smoke or something, and the wind drifted it into her yard. She got poison ivy IN her lungs. After that, she was so sensitive to it that if she got within 10' or so of it, her skin started to feel prickly, and she knew there was some around.

BURNING POISON IVY = BAD NEWS!
                              -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                              '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                              ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X