Weld advice for cracked carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weld advice for cracked carrier

A couple welds have cracked on my topcase / backrest / carrier frame. I've had it arc welded a couple times, but it keeps on failing. I guess it doesn't help when I go pickup a 24 of beer and put it in the topcase but it fits perfectly in there
    I'm no metalurgist but could the weld techniques be incompatible? Are those things brazed or silver soldered maybe? Comments?
    Dennis

Problem being surrounding metal is weakened when welded.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yup. When you weld the metal around it get weaker. If you looked close at the welds you would see that its always right next to the previous weld that it cracks!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Are you actually using an arc welder? If so, you might try using a MIG welder as they put less heat into the metal. You might also try some sort of heat-treating. Some others may chime in on this, or you may ask around at a machine/fab shop.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Metal verus rod type? With arc welding you have the rod material being introduced and it should if not has to match the metal being welded. JAT.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

repair

What would work is to put a small insert either inside the broken tubing about 2 inches longer on each side and then weld, or on the outside. Contact member- 3Phase, he did exactly that and it is holding up with a lot of luggage no problem. The insert reinforces the weak tubing and just weld it up, arc or mig, good luck, Mike in Sun Diego
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

I think Dennis has problems with the carrier/rack itself breaking. I had to get the bike frame welded just ahead of the mount brackets when the rear frame ends broke off from carrying too much weight on the luggage rack.

I'm not a welder so I took the frame to a pro and had it fixed; he used a TIG welder. He put chome/moly pipe inside the break then welded the broken frame ends to the new pipe, not to each other, then filled the gap. It should work for a broken carrier if the metal's good enough to weld and a common pipe will fit over or inside of the broken tubes.
              -- Scott
              _____
              ♬
              2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
              ♬

Comment

Thanks for the advice, people. I took he carrier off yesterday and found that it's cracked on both sides between the two mounting holes. I might be further ahead to cut it off at the cracks and insert a rod or tube then weld that in there. I'll look for a competent welder and in the meantime, I'll have to use the truck to run for beer.
                Dennis

Comment

For the serious beer drinker.

Originally posted by dntemp_ca View Post
                  Thanks for the advice, people. I took he carrier off yesterday and found that it's cracked on both sides between the two mounting holes. I might be further ahead to cut it off at the cracks and insert a rod or tube then weld that in there. I'll look for a competent welder and in the meantime, I'll have to use the truck to run for beer.
                  Hi Dennis,
                  FWIW, my sidecar will hold fourteen 12-packs with the tonneau snapped down.
                  But to fix your carrier, besides inserting tubes at the failure points, think about adding gusset plates as well.
                  This will allow longer lengths of weld at those joints.
                  Remember the amateur welder's mantra:-
                  Length replaces strength.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    FWIW, my sidecar will hold fourteen 12-packs with the tonneau snapped down.
                    That is impressive! and also the fact the you know that it can hold 14
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      That is impressive! and also the fact the you know that it can hold 14
                      Hi Nate,
                      lest you think me a lush, the 14 12-packs were my son's empties that he'd amassed over time and was "too busy" to return himself.
                      My pal Stan was a lush, though. His ambition was to have a complete 1/2-ton full of empties to return to the recycling depot where they'd give you the full 5 cents a bottle rather than the 4 cents at the beer store.
                      He finally did it. A month later the liquor board put the refund price up to 10 cents a bottle.
                      You ever seen a grown man cry?
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you talking about the tubular part of the rack, mine did the same thing on my 80g. I found some steel rod that would fit in the tube, inserted it into the tube so it would extend into both pieces and had it welded up. Been 'bout 12 years now and still holding strong. The chrome got screwed up but I covered that with some black tape and it looks ok. Not perfect but it has held up to much abuse and repeated overloading. A 15" wheel and tire strapped to your rack does has an "adverse" effect on handling.
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Fred

Actually, if you add your capacity to the 14 in the side car, what is your total then?? 20?
                          Ole "burp" Jack
                          J.D."Jack" Smith
                          1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                          1978E straight job
                          "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by xs11jack View Post
                            Actually, if you add your capacity to the 14 in the side car, what is your total then?? 20?
                            Ole "burp" Jack
                            Hi Jack,
                            if you check my previous post, it says I was returning empties.
                            What with my poor vision, short attention span and general lack of riding skills I am a hazard even when I'm sober so I absolutely DO NOT drink and drive and nor should anyone else.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                            X