A plea to new members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A plea to new members

Hi folks and congratulations on riding an XS/XJ 1100.
    About filling out your membership profile.
    Pretty please could you include:-
    A real name because even if your handle has been with you since you became computer-literate, "Hi Bob" is a better reply opener than "Hi Phartphace14".
    Your bike's exact designation, so folks replying to a tech question don't have to ask "which bike is that?" before making a helpful suggestion.
    Whereabouts you live, just in case one or more list members live near enough that they could give you a hand with stuff.
    You could also build your name, location and bike type into your signature.
    Like this:-
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Just bumpin

Thank you Fred!
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I agree, to a point.

The whole point of using a screen name is anonymity. It's not good practice to display your real name on the internet, especially in a public forum such as this. For the same reason that you should never list your e-mail address either.

While listing the model designation would be helpful, you have to realize that most new owners have no idea that different designations exist. In fact, we have seen a few new users this Spring who listed their new "1981 XJ1100", or something similar. One of the most common clarifications that we do is what year/model bike the new owners have.

It would be nice though, if people would fill in the info they have (like location), and adjust it as they learn more. I completely agree with the signature thing though.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I completely agree with the signature thing though.
        I don't,
        some might think some people here to be a little XSive

Would be nice if when a question is asked that if the models not in their signature they would specify it when applicable.

mro

Comment

MRO,

Most of us do not own the entire fleet of XS11s that you do. So it becomes much simpler. For some, apparently owning a second one makes the first jealous enough to try to commit murder-suicide.

I prefer the model and such in the signature than just in the post, only because some of the threads become rather lengthy in going through a particular issue. It becomes somewhat tedious to go back through 3 pages of post to remind yourself what bike they have.

IMO, giving a first name leaves plenty of anonimity. Heck, I believe I am one of no less than five Dons on here alone, and I do not often run into people with the same name. But then, no one would want to steal my identity, all they get is a bunch of bill collectors, a parole officer, and a ten ex wives hounding their azz instead fo mine. (ok, some of those are not true, you guess which ones.)
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Fleeting ....

Since I no longer have a shop ... I've become XSively challenged
            Two car garage can only hold so much stuff even though I’ve turned the room addition into a store room. And I refuse to clutter up my shed. It's the last place I have where I can just walk in and find what I need without moving a bunch of cra ... stuff

Totally sucks not having pallet racks, shelving, a bunch of work benches, forklifts, presses and really miss all the neat shop tools. I consider myself to be a serious tinkerer. Being space challenged has put a crink in my style.

mro

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi folks and congratulations on riding an XS/XJ 1100.
              About filling out your membership profile.
              Pretty please could you include:-
              A real name because even if your handle has been with you since you became computer-literate, "Hi Bob" is a better reply opener than "Hi Phartphace14".
              Your bike's exact designation, so folks replying to a tech question don't have to ask "which bike is that?" before making a helpful suggestion.
              Whereabouts you live, just in case one or more list members live near enough that they could give you a hand with stuff.
              You could also build your name, location and bike type into your signature.
              Like this:-
              Hope this helps?
              XS 1.1 '84 Midnight Special
              Honda CBX 250 2009
              Kempton Park
              Johannesburg
              South Africa
              Jan

Comment

I see it Don....

You left out a couple of ex-wives to throw us off

John

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                MRO,

Most of us do not own the entire fleet of XS11s that you do. So it becomes much simpler. For some, apparently owning a second one makes the first jealous enough to try to commit murder-suicide.

I prefer the model and such in the signature than just in the post, only because some of the threads become rather lengthy in going through a particular issue. It becomes somewhat tedious to go back through 3 pages of post to remind yourself what bike they have.

IMO, giving a first name leaves plenty of anonimity. Heck, I believe I am one of no less than five Dons on here alone, and I do not often run into people with the same name. But then, no one would want to steal my identity, all they get is a bunch of bill collectors, a parole officer, and a ten ex wives hounding their azz instead fo mine. (ok, some of those are not true, you guess which ones.)
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                X