Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Virus Cleaner

Hey Big John, Exquized,

AVG offers a nice new cleaning tool! I was informed about it in an email from Cnet Cheapskates!! Go to the real www.avg.com site, then to the DOWNLOAD section, then click on the RESCUE CD, there you can download either an image file that can be burned to a CD and make it bootable, OR, you can download a version for a bootable USB stick depending on if your system supports booting to USB devices!? IT is LINUX based, but the program recognizes FAT and NTFS file systems, and can scan the file system without booting WINDOWS so the trojans and such don't get loaded.

It even has tools to allow it to access the internet to update it's definitions prior to scanning and such. I used the CD-rom version to help fix a friends computer. So..Exquized, if you have access to another computer, you may want to D/L and burn a bootable CD-rom to then use to clean your computer with!

John, I've seen many spoofed virus warnings that mimick and look like Windows Security Alerts and such...usually from the bogus superantivirus2010 type web sites. Not sure how you would have gotten it from the XS11.com site?? I'm thinking that you got it from a rogue site, and then it popped up while using XS11.com. But I'm not a programmer or such, I could be wrong!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Nawww,

It did not come in on the site, just happened to have multiple links open. As now I am on three sites at once.
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Just try Linux

I know this has been said before, but to really solve the MS/virus problem, just install linux. It has improved vastly over the past couple of years, and is really bullet proof now.
        Ubuntu is just about as plug and play as it gets. I switched all but a couple of dual boot machines a couple of years ago, and haven't regretted it for a minute.
        One of the users at work got similar trojan, and I finally had to put the drive into a linux machine to delete the file that was causing the problem. The virus writers have made it nearly impossible for a windows user to delete their files by manipulating the windows permissions.
        I know all you diehard MS,ers are moaning and groaning right now, but it works, and its all free.
        You can download and burn the livecd and run it without installing anything. Just search for Ubuntu and you'll find it.

Steve
        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
        Norton Electra - future restore
        CZ 400 MX'er
        68 Ducati Scrambler
        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I agree Steve,

However I am locked into MS because in my employment I have to use the software my employer is using. Without the employer changing software I have no choice.
          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
          X