Gas Grill Squeals like a pig!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Grill Squeals like a pig!!

Ok, so I have a propane grill with three burners. Tank was refilled not to long ago. I used it a couple times since the tank was filled with no problems. Now, when I lite more than one burner I get a high pitched almost squeal. Sounds like vibration noise of some type.

I tried removing the fill valve from the tank and reinstalling a couple times, no change. The noise is definitely coming from the tank and or regulator which mounts close to the tank.

Any suggestions? Hate to come out to ashes where I had food. (yes, many years ago this happened to me.)
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Is it a relativly new grill? I understand there is some low flow device on the new ones that cause problems... Not sure whay exactly but they need to be reset somehow. If its a fairly new one check the owners manual.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

All of the tanks out here have a new valve that is suposed to keep from being overfilled or something that is supposed to save the world. Nothing that has made the heater in the shop sound off. Is the regulator close to the tank? Could be a squeal from the diaphram in the regulator.
      Give it a rap when the gas is off.

If nothing else it might make you feel better about it.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Have you recently cleaned the grill? If so you may have gotten water, cleaner or some other foreign liquid or object in the burner holes. If its a liquid it should eventually evaporate, if its something you will have to remove the burners and clean them.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Squeal

Hey Bob,
          It's the regulator gone bad. I had the same thing happen to me and I switched it with a known good one and the sqeal went away. The regulator is what keeps the pressure at +/- 1psi so you don't have sky-high flames coming out of the grill. Sometimes a good rap may help, most times, since the main component of the regulator is a rubber diaphragm, it doesn't. Get a new regulator (about$15) and your squealing and probs will go away.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Thanks guys! The regulator was my guess as well, but I was concerned there was some goofy thing with the tank I was unaware of or overlooking.

Some years ago I had a regulator give out while in the middle of cooking ribs for a party. Checked them over and over about every ten minutes, last time I to look and I got nothing left but ashes! I mean bones and all, like it turned from a grill to a crematorium! Wife came out and acused me of drinking to many adult beverages and bullcrapping. I explained that they were not charred or dry, but ASHES..BONES AND ALL!!! Still took three hours and showing her where the rivets holding the nameplate ont he grills lid were liquified and dripped down the lid when the nameplate slid off.

I would rather not repeat that one. The way this year is going, it would let go while I was leaned over checking the food.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
              the main component of the regulator is a rubber diaphragm,
              So, you're saying you're not going to take it apart and try a bit of Plasti-Dip spray on the diaphragm?
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Thanks guys! The regulator was my guess as well, but I was concerned there was some goofy thing with the tank I was unaware of or overlooking.

Some years ago I had a regulator give out while in the middle of cooking ribs for a party. Checked them over and over about every ten minutes, last time I to look and I got nothing left but ashes! I mean bones and all, like it turned from a grill to a crematorium! Wife came out and acused me of drinking to many adult beverages and bullcrapping. I explained that they were not charred or dry, but ASHES..BONES AND ALL!!! Still took three hours and showing her where the rivets holding the nameplate ont he grills lid were liquified and dripped down the lid when the nameplate slid off.

I would rather not repeat that one. The way this year is going, it would let go while I was leaned over checking the food.
                That's a good reason for a nomex hood. Maybe I don't want to replace my gas grill after all, since I don't think the regulator is likely to go out on my charcoal. Then again, I tend to smoke ribs, not grill them. Although it sounds like those got smoked really good.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ken...ummm....in a word..NO!! Even a cheapazz like me has to draw the line somewhere. I found out that I could buy ALOT of XS11s (like probably all of the Bob Jones bikes and half the fleet of XS11.com!) for the cost of the medical bills for my accident!! So, a regulator versus a trip to the burn institute seems like cheap money these days.

Cy, I actually had another set in the smoker, which is what we had for dinner, along with ALOT of side dishes since half the meat was disintegrated.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                  X