Ice Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Box

As kids we always went to the Ice Box to get something cold to drink or something to eat. Mom always would say, "get me ......out of the ice box." Or, "It's in the ice box." I wonder how many on ch11 had the same experience? I think I'll go get me a cold one out of the ice box.
    My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

I'm not old enough to have ever had an "ice box". We just had a "fridge". I know my mom had an actual "ice box" when she was a kid, where the ice man would deliver blocks of ice, and that was put in the ice box to keep things cold.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by mstic2000 View Post
      As kids we always went to the Ice Box to get something cold to drink or something to eat. Mom always would say, "get me ......out of the ice box." Or, "It's in the ice box." I wonder how many on ch11 had the same experience? I think I'll go get me a cold one out of the ice box.
      Hi mstic,
      not us. Our first experience of anything frozen was cones and wafers of watery vanilla ice cream from the Verrechia's truck when you could get ice cream again after the war.
      When we finally got one in the '50s we called it a fridge.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I can remember...

Going to the "Ice House" in late 60's early 70's to pick up large blocks of ice for our camper's "ice box" in the VW - it would last for days and keep things from spoiling though not really cold.

Dunno the last time we went but must have been 72 or 73. Don't see Ice Houses anymore except as beer halls.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

My dad was born in 1910 Kansas, mom in 1920 Iowa.
          EVERYTHING cold came out of the "ice box". The method of cooling things had changed but the name didn't.

Every weekend durring the summer we stopped by the Union Ice House to pick up a couple blocks of ice before heading up to Silver Lake for the weekend. One for cooling the food and one for the hand crank ice cream freezer.
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

ice box

Was and still is, gess i will allways call it an Ice BOX
            1979 xs1100 f
            142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
            floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
            1978 gl 1000 goldwing
            1981 gl 1100 goldwing
            !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
            when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Unfortunately

I am old enough to remember the ice box. We lived in Baltimore and ice day was wednesday. My dad always said one of my sisters belonged to the ice man cause whe was the only one with green eyes. LOL
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I still say ice box from time to time. I picked up the term from my father, he was born in 1924 in Austin, MN (the home of spam...)

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                  I am old enough to remember the ice box. We lived in Baltimore and ice day was wednesday. My dad always said one of my sisters belonged to the ice man cause whe was the only one with green eyes. LOL
                  That and when they delivered coal thru a shute into the coal bin in the basement. Me and my sister would always ask for a piece of coal to draw with. Still got the old delivery tags that are stapled to the floor rafters in the basement.
                  My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

We had an ice box till I was 8 yrs old. Ice pick too. Don't want to talk about the ice pick.
                    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                      Austin, MN, the home of spam
                      So thats where spammers started, eh?
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        So thats where spammers started, eh?
                        I don't know about spammers but greasy, canned mystery meat for sure...

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

That's the difference between spam and Spam!

We still call it the 'ice box', or the 'fridge'.

People who spent too much on a new fridge often call them by the brand, ie: the GE, The Kelvinator, Frigidiaire, etc.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

We had an "ice box" which was just that...it had a compartment, lined with copper, and with a drain, where one put a large block of ice. Around that were other door-covered compartments where you put food that needed to be kept cool, like butter and milk. My recollection is that my dad put fresh ice in it about every other day.

Very soon on my parents bought a refrigerator, was quite an upgrade. We continued to use the old icebox for parties and things, stored extra soda and wine in it. My parents still have it...has been refinished and makes a great conversation piece for the grandkids. Still used for parties, though now it uses block ice from the supermarket instead of from the ice dealer.

I have been told that my parent's unit is a nicer one than normal, due to its copper lining and higher-end hardware. Less expensive units used tin liners and stamped hardware. Still remember my brother and I hauling it out to the deck for one party or another....good memories.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                            X