For BikerPhil ..or anyone having trouble getting onto XS11.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For BikerPhil ..or anyone having trouble getting onto XS11.com

Phil, did you ever get the issue with not being able to tag the xs11 website, except through the proxy, solved? If so, clue me in too, please

Please answer me back at thewizard60@gmail.com or on this thread as I can't get a PM. Weird it almost acts like a hack ... except why would someone hack my accnt on this site? WTF?

Incidentally it won't let me delete messages, send or receive a pm or change my password. Maybe a virus, but I can't imagine something getting through McAfee and Spybot Search and Destroy both.

It is as though my IP is blocked on that server or on this computer somehow.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Steve, I\\\\\\\'m still having issues with accessing the site, still using a proxy. Right now I have a thread going in the Comcast troubleshooting forum and those guys are trying to figure it out now. Might be a nameserver problem, whatever that is. Did you try flushing your DNS? It didn\\\\\\\'t help me but you never know. Did you try doing a trace to XS11.com? I\\\\\\\'ll keep you posted if I find a solution.

network-tools.com
    Last edited by bikerphil; 06-23-2010, 08:34 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

hey. phil ...

Thx for the networktools link ... that is cool stuff .. looks like my path goes to dallas to colorado finally to the server that this is on. There is like 10 legs on this path ... gotta' find out what that means .... I got a network guy out here that may have a clue ... actually he is one of the guys that started the Venturers website initially and even consulted on this one at it's inception. Co incidence ... funny, eh?
      80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
        looks like my path goes to dallas to colorado finally to the server that this is on.
        Funny thing is that when TC did a trace, the final destination was XS11.com, I\'m getting galaga.whspn.net as final destination.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Avast

I have had most of the antivirus software from Norton, McAfee, Microsoft etc and I'v found that the only one that really works is Avast. Even the free one works better than the high dollar ones.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I also had problems a few days ago trying to access the site. I thought that my IP address was being blocked. I searched the net trying to find Ken Talbot's E-Mail address but with no luck. It is up and working now. Any ideas as to what happened?
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Interesting ...

That is good to hear regarding Avast, Dick ... what's up with you? That one is free and compatible with McAfee, right? I'll check into that ... this acts more like a hack than a virus though ...

Winterhawk and Phil .. that's what I'm experiencing as well. I have no control of my PM box either ... I delete yet the messages stay or return ..

My final destination is galaga.whspn.net also ... I just figured that is the server where XS11 lives ?? .... I wonder if that is correct ?? Maybe someone else knows?
              80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Antivirus software ..

Common thinking is that no ONE ONLY program gets them all ... and of course there is always 'Day Zero' too ... Norton sucks ... McAfee is WAY better, excellent firewall and Spybot Search and Destroy gets something once and a great while ...it's free also.
                80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Hey Wiz,

I copied and then pasted the URL that you said was the last hop in your TRACERT search...the galaga.whspn.net and this is what popped up!
                  Great Success !
                  Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server
                  If you can see this page, then the people who manage this server have installed cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) which use the Apache Web server software and the Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) successfully. They now have to add content to this directory and replace this placeholder page, or else point the server at their real content.

ATTENTION!
                  If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.

About cPanel:
                  cPanel is a leading provider of software for the webhosting industry. If you would like to learn more about cPanel please visit our website at www.cpanel.net. Please be advised that cPanel Inc. is not a web hosting company, and as such has no control over content found elsewhere on this site.

About Apache HTTP Server:
                  The Apache HTTP Server is an open source web server which powers many of the worlds web sites. The Apache HTTP server is part of the Apache Group's many influential projects. Their efforts have helped shape much the world wide web, and they continue to be a dominating force in the web hosting industry.
                  ???? Cpanel is the back end program that we have for the site, but don't know why you're seeing it in the Tracert search!?!? It shows the URL www.xs11.com for that last HOP with the IP address on my Tracert.

Still think it's possibly a problem with the HOSTING site, and the problems that popped up when they physically moved our server to another location/box on their "farm"! Servers on the internet are connected to many different computers/servers, and it seems like the DNS settings are getting messed up, and then eventually getting fixed again, and so depending on which route our individual computers have to hop thru to get to the site determines whether they encounter a messed up server in the route!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Hey Wiz,

I copied and then pasted the URL that you said was the last hop in your TRACERT search...the galaga.whspn.net and this is what popped up!

???? Cpanel is the back end program that we have for the site, but don't know why you're seeing it in the Tracert search!?!? It shows the URL www.xs11.com for that last HOP with the IP address on my Tracert.

Still think it's possibly a problem with the HOSTING site, and the problems that popped up when they physically moved our server to another location/box on their "farm"! Servers on the internet are connected to many different computers/servers, and it seems like the DNS settings are getting messed up, and then eventually getting fixed again, and so depending on which route our individual computers have to hop thru to get to the site determines whether they encounter a messed up server in the route!

T.C.
                    That's the address I get when I do a traceroute also, but I'm not having any problems. I believe it has to do with a common method used in web hosting, the web server likely serves several sites using a single IP address, and uses the domain name to differenciate between them, so when tracert does the reverse lookup, it gets the first listing in the DNS for the ISP your on. One way to tell is to ping both domain names, you will probably get the same IP for both. (multi hosting is a large part of what I do for a living, but at this point we don't do the domain name stuff because the stuff we host is all private stuff that is accessed via IP address, in some cases with multiple servers on one IP through load balancers)
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Maybe they need to run some repair utilities on that server, TC ?? ... very interesting, Cy ... a bit beyond my knowledge level but I get what you're saying, I think.

I'm going to look and see what I could run here too ... maybe some stuck bit somewhere here too ...
                      80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Ok, as of now, 9 days later, I'm finally able to access this site without a proxy. We'll have to see how long this lasts.

Wiz, how 'bout you, does yours work too?
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Yerp ... just now tried it and got on without a proxy ... weird stuff. I wonder WTF that was?
                          80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
                            I wonder WTF that was?
                            Guy on the comcast forum said it was a root directory problem, here's the quote:

So in the future, the key is to check that the DNS looks right. Then try multiple browsers. If all of them fail, then it is sometimes a configuration issue on the virtual web server, where the server's URL mapping to wwwroot directory has failed for some reason. I'm sure that other experts here have other thoughts on other things that could go awry as well.

Also this:

It looks like two different nameservers have assigned the same IP address to two different hosts.

That's not a problem, in fact it's quite common. One IP address/server can host *many* web sites. To elaborate on what Jason said, virtual web hosting is enabled via the "Host:" command that's sent by web browsers when they request a web page. To load http://xs11.com/test, a browser would send this:

GET /test HTTP/1.1
                            Host: xs11.com

That also explains why using the IP address rather than the host name often gives puzzling results. "Host: IP.address" just isn't the same thing as "Host: domain.name".
                            Last edited by bikerphil; 06-26-2010, 01:08 AM.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

Working...
                            X