It's just a bike, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's just a bike, right?

I think it's Nelson-Riggs gear that says: It's not just a bike. I couldn't agree more as today I sent my long trusted steed to new pastures. It was a very difficult thing for me to do. I know it sounds stupid and nostalgic, but it's true. She was my first "real" bike, and I learned a lot about motorcycles through her. It got me connected here and I've met some wonderful people whom I consider friends. What more could you ask for from a hunk of iron?
    I turned her over to a terrific guy named Colin who is already signed up here and is going to fit in just fine. How's this for XSive: Drives 6 hours to pick up a bike unseen, hops on it and rides er 6 hours back home? Ya gotta love that!!
    Anyway, I'm not going anywhere, but I just wanted to thank everyone who's ever given me advice and inspiration when needed to keep my old bike on the road.
    Mark Stanton
    Gone but never forgotten: "Pachinko"

Yes, the XS IS more than just a bike, and this site is a part of that! I'm going to fix and sell both '79 standard models I now have, and try to find an FJR for a commute bike. I WILL keep the midnight, and I'll try to find the time to build the '78 into the bike I want.
    After the rally last weekend in Central Cal, all I can say is there are a LOT of great people on this site, and most have no problem helping one another when needed.
    Let us know what you find to ride now, and don't loose track of the people you meet. Bikes are the one constant we all share, and that is what keeps this community together.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yes, the XS IS more than just a bike, and this site is a part of that!
      I'd bet that without Channel 11 most the XSes here in the states would be collecting dust or rusting away It's been guys like you, TC and others who have kept the XS11 alive.

mro
      BTW, I had as much fun riding all my previous bikes as much as my 11's
      but they didn't have a "community" like this.

Comment

oh, crap..

Mark, yours was one of the sweetest XS's I've ever seen....Colin is a lucky man

Comment

Thanks Randy, I appreciate that, especially coming from the new "best in show" winner! It's your cross to bear now.
          Mark

Comment

So it finally happened! Everything will be OK Mark.. The Honda will treat you well.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

LOL, thanks Dean, I needed that. The Honda is up for sale too. I'm looking for what you got, but the prices on those bikes is sky high. I may settle on a Concours, we'll see.
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mastan View Post
                LOL, thanks Dean, I needed that. The Honda is up for sale too. I'm looking for what you got, but the prices on those bikes is sky high. I may settle on a Concours, we'll see.
                Mark
                Mark I have the same bike as Dean...you can find them for $4k or less...Mine is a '01 and I paid $4k. ..Its a great Sport Tour machine. I love mine! And there is an equally great forum for them too in ST-Owners.com...Whatever you do dont buy from a dealer. Best of luck on whatever you decide to get.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Mark, the ST1100 (96-02) is really quite affordable, as Ben said. And solid as a rock. You can even find well priced 1300's although I don't like them as well. If they interest you, by all means check out ST Owners.com. Great bikes come up for sale. In fact, check it out anyway!! Great, active group of people..

I hope I'm not hearing an undercurrent here of possibly getting out of motorcycling, with all this selling of bikes stuff!!!
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

Thanks Dean and Ben, I'll check out that site. Out of motorcycling? Never.
                    Mark

Comment

Agree........Ride a STeed and you'll never look back. Lowest maintenance cost scoot on the planet! Nice used 96 and up 11's can be had for under 4K!
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                      X