No announcement yet.

This will make you wonder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have the 230 on the rear and the 712 on the front. I have used the 712 on the rear too, its a bit cheaper, and has a softer compound, but still out lasted the 404s I have had by three times the miles at least. Of course, it isn't hard to make a tire that will last 3k, and the 404s I have had struggled to keep the tread at 1k, and at 1.5k were showing cords. I have a nice white wall H-D still mounted on a wheel from getting caught in AR with a bad 404. Funny thing is, I rode that tire around (D402) for about 2k which is longer than I have ever got from a 404. weird.

Anyway, I was just giving a suggestion that someone who might be ordering a 404 could look to the shinkos as a similar or even a bit cheaper alternative, that they may have better luck with. YMMV
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I also used the EliteII's when they first came out in 81'. At that time, Dunlop guarenteed them to the wear bars at 10,000miles! After that first year that warrenty was dropped.......hmmmmm. I would get 10-12,000mi. from the back tire back then and alot of two-up long trips. It would give up a bit in the corners if it was wet, but otherwise a good riding and wearing tire. Problem now is it is no-more in a 17in., least I haven't seen one availible anymore. I also ran alot of Conti Twins(K-112 & RB2). The bike handled the best and was the most predictable with this pair. Both stick like glue in the rain or dry, but only seemed to be good for 6,000rear and 10,000front. They also rode thebest.. But again, from what I've seen, the rear is only availible for the Special(16in.).
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

well I'm not admiting there is anything wrong with my 404's I've been happy with them....
        but I just ordered a set of shinko's for the other bike, 568 rear and 712 front. Shinko and Kenda were the only two that make a 140/70/16....and shinko's about 1/2 the cost.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

You all just made another tire thread to ad.
          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Working...
          X