This will make you wonder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
    The D404 is the epitome of a manufacturer defect. Its bad fresh out of the mold, but they never warrantied mine that blew at less than 2k.

As far as age, I suppose if you kept it in a light free environment with controlled humidity and temperature, they'd last for ever. But that UV crap really starts working on the rubber, so even if dunlop warranties them for six, I wouldn't stake my life on them being ok for that long, even if I didn't put the mileage on them. Also, who determines whether its a manufacturer defect or if its just age related failure? I really don't ever place much stock in warranties on a consumable item, because the manufacturers will try to weasel their way out of paying if at all possible.

One final thought. I just can't see a 6 year old tire being pliable enough to grip with a damn, especially when you're throwing it around in the corners and flirting with the edge of traction on a fresh sticky set of tires. Old tires might be ok on an Ultra Classic with a maximum lean angle of 15ยบ, but I just don't think they will hold up in the corners, if that's your thing. Manufacturer defect or not.

Its good that Dunlop is trying to standup for their product though. Maybe they'll reimburse me that $265 for the whitewall I had to have put on because of their D404.
    I'm sorry you got ONE bad d404, but I've been running them for almost 4 years now without a problem, 1 front and 2 rears. I've seen 100+ on more then one occasion and I think I probably ground off a pound or two of my exhaust system this past week at the rally so its not like I'm riding it like a harley. Really you shouldn't ruin the rep of a perfectly "ok" tire budget tire because you got one with some sort of defect in it.

As for age, I've never had one get more then 2 years old so never worried about it, the tires on the 81 I just picked up are manufactured in 85, they'll be replaced, if anyone wants to pay shipping for two like new 85 model year tires you can have them. I figure after 15 years the tires we have now must be better then the old ones.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Wear item replacement intervals, the on-going controversy. Best rule of thumb is it's never too early. And the manufacturers like that rule as well. I've found in my area of dwelling and styles of use that most wear items well surpass any manufacturer reccomended replacement interval. Especially fluids. Of course the whole idea of under-rated equipment kind of falls out with most items being produced by near slave-labor overseas. American industry, the slow silent collapse of equipment WORTH what you pay for it. Thank God 'Made in Japan' still means 'tolerable quality level'.
      1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
        I'm sorry you got ONE bad d404,
        No, I think that was my third, all with like results. For the money, they stink.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

after the bob jones rally i needed new tires. so i order new ones took them in to get mounted. i saw the front tire had cracks in it, asked what that was from, that is dry rot. my d404 dry rot in 9 months. date on tire.
          80 xs1100G

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
            Wear item replacement intervals, the on-going controversy. Best rule of thumb is it's never too early. And the manufacturers like that rule as well. I've found in my area of dwelling and styles of use that most wear items well surpass any manufacturer reccomended replacement interval. Especially fluids. Of course the whole idea of under-rated equipment kind of falls out with most items being produced by near slave-labor overseas. American industry, the slow silent collapse of equipment WORTH what you pay for it. Thank God 'Made in Japan' still means 'tolerable quality level'.
            dunlaps are made in the usa
            80 xs1100G

Comment

Dunlops are made under licence from Dunlop Tyres UK all round the world. NZ ceased production due to low demand in 2006 and now we import ours from Australia.

The company is 75% owned by Goodyear and 25% by Sumitomo Rubber in Japan and a considerable quantity of Dunlop tyres are made in, and exported from Japan.
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

In 1920, ground was broken in Buffalo, New York, for what would become the first Dunlop tire manufacturing facility in the United States. Dunlop is still the only manufacturer to produce motorcycle tires in the U.S.
                80 xs1100G

Comment

But that doesnt actually guarantee that all Dunlops sold in the US are US made. Dunlop first produced tyres in Birmingham, UK in 1891 and the original site still exists. They dont mass manufacture there anymore, just speciallised low volume motorsport stuff, but the UK head office still operates from it and they import their tyres from plants all around the world, including the US, China, Slovenia, Poland, India, South Africa and many others. The global company head office is in Luxembourg. Dunlops in this country are either Australian, German or Japanese made, and they're priced accordingly in that order. Were starting to see Chinese Dunlops coming in on pre assembled Chinese bikes but they're not available over the counter, yet. The guys here on CH11 that have had bad experiences with Dunlops may have got imported tyres from some third world plant where quality control isnt that high.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Thank's Brian,

Thant's more like it. . Get some solid facts for a good discussion!
                    He He He

Thanks, I really do appreciate you taking the effort to chase all that down.
                    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                    Original except:
                    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Actually didnt have to dig that deep on that one. A good friend of mine worked in our Dunlop plant (South Pacific Tyres) for 30 years before it closed and he used to spout this stuff all the time. We used to joke that he'd be buried in a rubber coffin when he died.

I figure that if were going to put info out there for people to read, and sometimes learn from it might as well be the right info, even if it is boring

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                        We used to joke that he'd be buried in a rubber coffin when he died.
                        Buried in a rubber......hmmm.

Kinda makes you wonder what the grave would look like and what method would be used to slip him into it....................

For that matter.........would he be worthy?

Comment

Interesting.........the Dunlop205 run-flat radials that I use on my Honda ST are made in France. Was an excellent tire in all conditions and could run flat at interstate speeds(tried it accidently). Over the years have used bout every major brand out there on the Venturer(Dunlop,Conti,Metzler to name a few) but for mileage, handleing as well as the bike is desiged to do, IMO the 404 is STILL the best bang for the buck. Not the best, but for the cost hard to beat.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I use the shinkos, they are a tad less than the D404 IIRC and last about 2-3 times longer than any 404 I have used. Might give them a try next time you are thinking of a 404. JAT
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                              a tire thread and not a single "discussion" on which one is best???? Now back to your regularly scheduled program---------
                              see, you just jumped in with this comment to early...

what "model" shinko are you running Ivan?
                              1979 xs1100 Special -
                              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                              My Bike:
                              [link is broken]

Comment

Nawww,

I was just jump starting it!

And for discussin', I am running a brand new pair of Elite II even tho they are obsolete.
                                Last edited by jmnjrpa; 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM.
                                '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                                Original except:
                                120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                                4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                                Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                                All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                                Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
                                X