This will make you wonder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will make you wonder...

... about how much you can trust what you hear and/or read.

There's been a lot of chatter about 'tire expiration dates', and the 'accepted wisdom' seems to be anything older than 3 years is suspect. While looking for info on de-rating tubeless tires when fitted with tubes, I ran into this:
    http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...warranties.asp
    Kind of makes a hash of the 'accepted wisdom', as Dunlop will replace FREE any tire less than 6 years old if it failed due to a manufacturer defect and still has more than 50% tread. If it's worn beyond 50%, they'll replace it for 1/2 price in the same time period. They'll even cover weather-checking/cracking for up to 4 years....

The tire inflation guidelines are interesting also.

I never believed that '3 years' crap, and it looks like Dunlop agrees otherwise they wouldn't warrantee them for six.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Mine are nine years old. If taken care of and properly rode upon, they will last.
    1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.
    1978 XS1100s Flat Black with a Windjammer and hard bags setup. (parts pig)

Comment

They'll even cover weather-checking/cracking for up to 4 years....
      Sounds more like a 4 year warranty than 6 years!
      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Dunlop will replace FREE any tire less than 6 years old if it failed due to a manufacturer defect and still has more than 50% tread. If it's worn beyond 50%, they'll replace it for 1/2 price in the same time period.
        And they won't cover the medical bills after the blowout.... what a deal!
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

The D404 is the epitome of a manufacturer defect. Its bad fresh out of the mold, but they never warrantied mine that blew at less than 2k.

As far as age, I suppose if you kept it in a light free environment with controlled humidity and temperature, they'd last for ever. But that UV crap really starts working on the rubber, so even if dunlop warranties them for six, I wouldn't stake my life on them being ok for that long, even if I didn't put the mileage on them. Also, who determines whether its a manufacturer defect or if its just age related failure? I really don't ever place much stock in warranties on a consumable item, because the manufacturers will try to weasel their way out of paying if at all possible.

One final thought. I just can't see a 6 year old tire being pliable enough to grip with a damn, especially when you're throwing it around in the corners and flirting with the edge of traction on a fresh sticky set of tires. Old tires might be ok on an Ultra Classic with a maximum lean angle of 15º, but I just don't think they will hold up in the corners, if that's your thing. Manufacturer defect or not.

Its good that Dunlop is trying to standup for their product though. Maybe they'll reimburse me that $265 for the whitewall I had to have put on because of their D404.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            ... about how much you can trust what you hear and/or read.

There's been a lot of chatter about 'tire expiration dates', and the 'accepted wisdom' seems to be anything older than 3 years is suspect. While looking for info on de-rating tubeless tires when fitted with tubes, I ran into this:
            http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...warranties.asp
            Kind of makes a hash of the 'accepted wisdom', as Dunlop will replace FREE any tire less than 6 years old if it failed due to a manufacturer defect and still has more than 50% tread. If it's worn beyond 50%, they'll replace it for 1/2 price in the same time period. They'll even cover weather-checking/cracking for up to 4 years....

The tire inflation guidelines are interesting also.

I never believed that '3 years' crap, and it looks like Dunlop agrees otherwise they wouldn't warrantee them for six.

'78E original owner
            When in doubt, throw them out. If $200 buck's is stopping you from being safe on your toy, good luck.
            Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
            1978 XS 1100E
            Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
            K & N Air filter
            Home built forward controls
            Vulcan Mustang seat
            A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

I posted this to point out the glaring inconsistancies in a 'one size fits all' guideline (the 'recommended' 3 year expiration, which even Dunlop has signed on to) when it doesn't even agree with their own warranty. I will agree that their warranty has enough exclusions to probably prevent you from getting any sort of satisfaction for a failed/defective tire, although the 4 years for cracking/checking should be an fairly easy one to collect on.

So is the six year warrantee just a marketing ploy, with Dunlop figuring they'll rarely have to honor it, or is the three year 'expiration' just a way to stampede you into replacing what may be a perfectly servicable tire? Or are they just confused idiots?

None of the possible answers is particularly comforting...

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

tire date code

Do a search on the net (tire date code) lots of information, i never herd 3 years allways 6 years, any way.
                1979 xs1100 f
                142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Yup I have also always heard 6 yrs. I just took a front tire of my 78E that even still had the little tits on it, of course it was manufactured 3rd month of 1987. I was not even thinking about that when I rode her home (about a hundred mile trip) after I bought it. I would not ride on any tire older than 6 or 7 years old no matter what. Tires are cheaper than funerals
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
                    Do a search on the net (tire date code) lots of information, i never herd 3 years allways 6 years, any way.
                    Okayyyyy...... heres one that reckons replacement after ONE year, but are they talking about the tyre or the bike ????

http://www.ehow.com/how_4621263_read...ate-codes.html

I've always believed that around 5 years is about the end of thier useful, but I've never found out as mine are usually worn and replaced every 2 or 3 anyway.

This page has some good info on reading tyre info, http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadrid...resc/tires.asp and I even learned something from it. I never knew about the balance 'dot'.
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Alot of it depends on how much UV light is on the tires.
                      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

"I never knew about the balance 'dot'."

Unfortunately theres a lot of tyre fitters
                        that arent aware of it either.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Always fit my own, now I've got something else to consider. And it will probably cut down on a helluva lot of balancing.
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Whaaaaaaat,

a tire thread and not a single "discussion" on which one is best???? Now back to your regularly scheduled program---------
                            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                            Original except:
                            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Tubeless tires fitted without innertubes to rims requiring innertubes.
                              I thought it was interesting that they mention this, as there's a discussion going on in another thread on just that subject. No mention of a reduction in speed rating, in fact it seems to imply the opposite.
                              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X