Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Enduro riders out there?

Hi guys and gals,

I was wondering if there are any other enduro riders among us? I use to have a '91 Suzuki DR650S that I beat around the state lands back home when I was in high school. It was the largest POS that I ever had my hands on but, it served its purpose. It had the meanest death wobble at 60 mph.

Well, I was out for a ride earlier this week and I came across a '91 DR650 that has 4200 original miles on it. I stopped and talked to the owner who bought it in the early 90's with 400 miles on it out in IN. He's askin $2100 for it but I think I can get him to come down a few hundred. It has been in storage it whole life so it would need break fluid flush and tires. He said he usually gets it out once a year for a short ride and thats it, hence the low miles. I took it for a spin and I must say, I think Im going to buy it.

Im just a little apprehensive about buying it b/c for $3000 one can buy a 2000's dual sport with about 10,000 miles give or take, and I know most of these bikes are trouble free up to and beyound 35K miles...if taken care of. Is it worth 1800-2000 to any of you dual sport riders? Any thoughts?

Most of the miles I plan to put on it will be on road, I've been off road on my old DR and I already know they are not suited for the woods. Any off roading will be secondary roads or large trails...
    Last edited by WMarshy; 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

HuH???

You want the buy a bike you said was the biggest POS you ever had? WHy??? Maybe check enduro reviews and see what could be better for the money......good luck, Mike in Sun Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Its all about the memories I suspect...

It takes him back to his High School days.

I can understand that.

Still $2 grand seems like alot.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Maybe I missed a small important detail. The one I had in high school had over 50,000 miles on it and was beat into the ground well before I ever got it. DR's have good reviews and are considered an intermederate bike between the more off-road capable Honda XR650L, and the more touring style of the Kawasaki KLR650. The one I rode thats for sale is a very tight machine, and probably the cleanest pre '96 DR anyone could ever find. ('90-96 had no mechanical improvments, just cosmetic) Hell, I doubt if you could even find a '96 with less than 10K on it!
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I have 2 1989 KTM 250's MXC, 1998 Honda CR500 set up for woods. Even with lower gearing and a steally flwheel weight I can't tame it enough for tight trails...LOL
          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

i prefer the bike i had.

1978 Yamaha XT500

that kicked the hell out of a 2005 klr650... no problem.

gobs of torque, wheelying machine and very streetable

great for off road to. but for serious off-roaders i'd change the tooth count
            to slow your speed down a bit.

just add bar end weights and an 1" of foam to the seat and away we go.
            i NEEEEED another one.
            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
            1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Don't have an enduro, but I do tool around my 7 acre back yard on a Polaris 250 2-stroke ('86 model). Would love to go to The Little Sahara with it someday!
              Richard
              '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
              '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

I had a honda xr400, i think it was a 97
                model from memory, bought new they
                came restricted and ran really poorly once
                derestricted the bike rode well off and on road.
                I havent had a trail bike for some years and miss riding
                off road,
                Good luck Marshy with what ever you end up getting,
                there a lot of fun.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X